Need your help, with a project!

Help Support CattleToday:

sim.-ang.king

Reaction score
I have had a idea rolling around in my head for some time now, and wanted to know what you all thought.
The idea is to get some of the show experienced members to make a "presentation" of "What to look for in a show heifer".
The basic out line will be one person doing a breed they familiar with, and telling what characteristics a heifer in that breed needs to have, and what judges want from that breed. When you have it complied together you will need to pm it to me so I can compile them together to post all at once.
For example:
"When picking a angus heifer you need to look for a heifer with blah, blah, and blah. "Give some insight on picking out those desired traits". "Then I need you to have at least two pictures of heifers, year old or less but not younger then 6 month please, of the breed and then tell what they are strongest at."If you want to have more pictures in yours but don't have enough available just ask around, i'm sure someone can help.

So I need someone that can get pictures of heifer calves, and give a insight on what is needed to make a great show heifer in that breed.
Breeds that I thought to start with are:
Angus
Hereford
Shorthorn
Brahman
Simmental (at least 3/4)
Cross- maintainer, chi, shorthorn plus, low % sim, ect. This one will need the most work and maybe two people working together would be better
Might also throw in Char, Lim, or a couple other breeds if someone wants to work on them.
Now this isn't meant for judging contest but to help people pick a calf out in the pasture that has potential to becoming a great show heifer within the breed.
If this goes well I might get a steer and bull together later on.

Thanks and if you are interested just let me know! :D

My suggestion is to contact the different breed associations for breed characteristics, criteria and photographs.

Chippie is right, we did this for the 4H club and we received a ton of good material from most Breed Associations, posters, information, handouts.

That is good advise, but I was wondering if the members wanted to make their own from their own animals, and make one for the board. Kind of a member project to work on over the winter.

Actually, you need the info from the breed associations. They will have quality photographs and the correct terminology and criteria.
Then you will have something that you can share with your area youth (4-H and FFA).

Unless you can find someone who is a judge, I would be hesitant using someone's opinion that you only know through the internet.

chippie":3il8s9qd said:
Actually, you need the info from the breed associations. They will have quality photographs and the correct terminology and criteria.
Then you will have something that you can share with your area youth (4-H and FFA).

Unless you can find someone who is a judge, I would be hesitant using someone's opinion that you only know through the internet.
True and i guess your right. Just a idea i need to toss around cause people are always asking what it look for in a animal. Maybe someone can help me get it all together and formatted for the forum. We will see.

Latest posts