Need to send an eviction notice

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score

We found this today, don't know how we missed it before now. Both the boss and I have mowed right by it I sprayed round up around the building on Saturday. Now how the heck do we get rid of it without burning down the shed?

Gizmom

A can of good hornet spray will take care of it in a hurry. I like the foam because it catches the ones trying to escape.

How many holes? Makes a difference on attack planning.
After dark with the foaming kind as mentioned. Get someone gullible to hold the flashlight in case of escapees.
After I foam the hole I put it in a big trash bag . People always wanting to buy them.

Wait till after dark. Then ease up to it and slip a trash bag over it very slowly. Tie it up quickly. Then help them beat the heat by placing bag and all into the freezer. Really preserves the nest well.

On 2nd thought the hornet spray may be safer. However I'm not just funning. I've used the first method many times. Once 25' up a Chinaberry tree. Since it was so far up I took extra precautions that time. Coveralls, gloves, motorcycle helmet, and duct tape at all joints! Hated to be at the top of that tree and screw up. No way I could have made myself stay and fight and that would have been a heck of a fall.

JMJ Farms":1g6jf0sj said:
Wait till after dark. Then ease up to it and slip a trash bag over it very slowly. Tie it up quickly. Then help them beat the heat by placing bag and all into the freezer. Really preserves the nest well.

On 2nd thought the hornet spray may be safer. However I'm not just funning. I've used the first method many times. Once 25' up a Chinaberry tree. Since it was so far up I took extra precautions that time. Coveralls, gloves, motorcycle helmet, and duct tape at all joints! Hated to be at the top of that tree and screw up. No way I could have made myself stay and fight and that would have been a heck of a fall.

Had one I never could figure out how to safely get while occupied. Had to wait till one frosty morning.
They had built around a 2" sweetgum about head high with four holes.

Caustic Burno":37ve753m said:
JMJ Farms":37ve753m said:

Had one I never could figure out how to safely get while occupied. Had to wait till one frosty morning.
They had built around a 2" sweetgum about head high with four holes.

Yes sir CB. That would have been a tricky one. If I had of been in your shoes, what I would have done is, I would have waited till one frosty (or frozen) morning. Them dern hornets ain't no joke. They are mean.

Had another nest about 5 years ago on the edge of the pasture. It was only about 5 feet off the ground. I got the bright idea to let the windows up and bump it with my windshield. Worked like a charm. They covered the truck. I got a real up close and personal observation. It was a really neat show. But then it got good to me. I wanted to show all my buddies. After a couple of weeks doing it they got really really mean and pi$$ed off. Had to finally let them be bc it got so bad that 4 or 5 would follow me all the way to the gate. I couldn't get out to close it. And it was probably 1/4 mile away. But then one cold frosty morning....

I killed out one once by filling a hand pump sprayer with a killer. got in my truck with it ,drove up next to the nest on passenger side with the window cracked and towels stuffed in gap...rolled up enough to get a tight seal..poked the nozzle through the towels and soaked the nest, in the hole and all...worked great.. Some hornets were hitting my windshield like bullets...

Them sumbeotches are MEAN. I hate the thought of messing with them unless it's in January.

Caustic Burno":38m8k27q said:
How many holes? Makes a difference on attack planning.
After dark with the foaming kind as mentioned. Get someone gullible to hold the flashlight in case of escapees.
After I foam the hole I put it in a big trash bag . People always wanting to buy them.

Sounds like you have plenty of experience. :)

My Dad got rid of one by pouring gas around on the top of it after dark. We had a hornets nest built on a window pane at the church I used to attend, you could see inside the nest and the local paper came and took a picture of it. After it froze in the fall somebody came and replaced the pane of glass I don't know what he wanted it for. :tiphat:

gizmom":sseak8t8 said:

We found this today, don't know how we missed it before now. Both the boss and I have mowed right by it I sprayed round up around the building on Saturday. Now how the heck do we get rid of it without burning down the shed?

Gizmom
I'd hate to be the meter reader.... :hide: :hide:

Gizmom...see if there's removal options in your local by people who provide the service gratis in order to obtain medical anti venom.

A friend of ours came out and took care of the hornets nest, we sure did appreciate him doing it for us.

The boss is talking about mounting it

Edit notice how much bigger since the first post

Gizmom

gizmom":1s0pbm2f said:
A friend of ours came out and took care of the hornets nest, we sure did appreciate him doing it for us.

The boss is talking about mounting it

Edit notice how much bigger since the first post

Gizmom

I have several that we have acquired over the years. Some we kept natural. Some we put lacquer on. And the last one I painted with a spray can of clear paint. The natural ones tend to "flake apart" over time. I think they're a feat of engineering similar to a beaver dam.

I kind of hated to see it gone I am like you it is feat, I kept taking photos as it got bigger. Problem was we had to go in and out of the bull pen someone was going to stir them up and get stung. I bought a can of polyurethane to spray it with it is on my to do list.

Gizmom

Latest posts