Need to put some weight on a Holistein bottle calf....help.

Help Support CattleToday:

b&langusfarms

Reaction score
I have a 14 wk old Holistein bottle baby that I got from a person who was going to dump him off in someones pasture. :devil2: Basically to let him die I guess. He had navel ill that had gone to his joints slightly. He was 5 wks old and weighed 95lbs. We are new to cattle anyway but raise black angus and I know nothing about dairy cattle. He is now 14 wks and fully weaned as of 3 wks ago and he weighs 155lbs. In reading some other topics on the board I realize that is very small. He wass malnourished when we got him(per the vet) He is completely over scours which he also had, over the joint and navel ill, and now gaining 10-12 lbs per week. I am feeding a calf finisher that we give our beef calves and he has free range pasture and good quality hay also avail. We do plan on taking him to the sale barn when he it bigger possibly 300-400 lbs. Anyone have some advice on what I can feed the little guy to put some more weight on him? He is out of the barn now and hanging out with the big cows and doing great. Any help would be appreciated.... :)

you can feed him 5lbs of the feed your feeding your weaned calves.an slowly increase his feed as he cleans it up.he is going tobe a tough one to get to gain weight since he has been so sick.have you wormed him.

I wormed him once and gave him vaciantions, I dont have my records in front of me but its probaly been a month ago. I am getting ready to give him a 2nd dose of vacinations. He hasnt beed cut yet either, didnt know if it would help to wait a little. Thought it might allow him to not get stressed from that and also thought it might let him put weight on a little quicker. Wasnt sure???[/ :???:

If you are going to cut him I would do it soon so he can get over it and keep gaining weight before hee gets older and harder to do.

JMO

B and L If you ship this bull calf you probably won't even break even.First he is a Holstein so they will dock you for ven a healthy one and yours is way behind because of illness.I would cut him asap, grow him up and then finish him and butcher him for your freezer.You will love the beef and you won't be raising him for someone else for free.

B&L if he were mine I'd probably take him off the finisher and put him back on a starter (18% protein or more with Bovatec) for a little while and let him have all the hay/grazing he wants. Just one man's thoughts.

Another option is to not castrate him, raise him up and sell him as a Holstein Bull, for breeding, they do better as bulls when they are older. Right now the market is way down on small Holstein bull calves, if you want to castrate him, do it soon, then kepp him until he is 500 pounds plus and sell him, or eat him. Lots of different ways to go.

I'd give him free choice grain, with a better type of hay.

GMN

Another option is to not castrate him, raise him up and sell him as a Holstein Bull, for breeding

Who in their right mind would buy that, not a good idea at all cut or band him asap.

TexasBred":317hlrgq said:
B&L if he were mine I'd probably take him off the finisher and put him back on a starter (18% protein or more with Bovatec) for a little while and let him have all the hay/grazing he wants. Just one man's thoughts.

:nod: :nod: :nod:

Alice

Syd Sydney":2zoq193l said:
Another option is to not castrate him, raise him up and sell him as a Holstein Bull, for breeding

Who in their right mind would buy that, not a good idea at all cut or band him asap.

Not sure what you mean, I know a few people who raise holstein calves for bulls to sell as breeding bulls, they sure do bring more money at a sale barn as a bull than a steer.

GMN

GMN":3gmi6coy said:
Syd Sydney":3gmi6coy said:

Not sure what you mean, I know a few people who raise holstein calves for bulls to sell as breeding bulls, they sure do bring more money at a sale barn as a bull than a steer.

GMN

Can't think who would want to buy an unregistered holstein bull with who knows what backyard genetics.

Not if a person's trying to make any sort of forward progress, anyway.

I don't know what it is like in your area GMN but around here everything is AI'd until the 4th or 5th try or so, is still unsuccessful then and only then will they turn in a clean up bull and it is always a deep pedigree registered bull from a well known breeder or the like.
Example a bull calf out of a VG 88 or higher cow with a lifetime production award/s bred to a top bull on type and milk.

A grade Holstein bull would go for slaughter at about 10 cents a pound.

BTW you can not register a Holstein bull unless it is 94% purebred.(Holstein Canada)

Alice":31nlepd0 said:
TexasBred":31nlepd0 said:

:nod: :nod: :nod:

Alice
I cast one more vote for this strategy.

Larry

hillsdown":3hn2q8dc said:
I don't know what it is like in your area GMN but around here everything is AI'd until the 4th or 5th try or so, is still unsuccessful then and only then will they turn in a clean up bull and it is always a deep pedigree registered bull from a well known breeder or the like.
Example a bull calf out of a VG 88 or higher cow with a lifetime production award/s bred to a top bull on type and milk.

BTW you can not register a Holstein bull unless it is 94% purebred.(Holstein Canada)

Thats right you do not know what it is like in our area. I buy a good bloodline bull calf from a breeder that lives close to me, and raise him up to put full time with my dairy cows. There are many different ways to farm, and run a herd.

I think the posters original question was what to do with her bull calf. I was just throwing the suggestion out, because there are people who do go to special bull sales to buy a bull for whatever reason.

GMN

GMN":2giqc65z said:
hillsdown":2giqc65z said:

Thats right you do not know what it is like in our area. I buy a good bloodline bull calf from a breeder that lives close to me, and raise him up to put full time with my dairy cows. There are many different ways to farm, and run a herd.

I think the posters original question was what to do with her bull calf. I was just throwing the suggestion out, because there are people who do go to special bull sales to buy a bull for whatever reason.

GMN

I have a 14 wk old Holistein bottle baby that I got from a person who was going to dump him off in someones pasture. Basically to let him die I guess. He had navel ill that had gone to his joints slightly. He was 5 wks old and weighed 95lbs. We are new to cattle anyway but raise black angus and I know nothing about dairy cattle. He is now 14 wks and fully weaned as of 3 wks ago and he weighs 155lbs

I highly doubt you would buy this bull for your herd.

Latest posts