Need some personal advice

Help Support CattleToday:

Calhoun Farm

Reaction score
Long story short I work in IT, friend of mine (co-worker) came over to my cube a couple months ago telling me how he had been working on a payroll computer and had printed out everyone's salary and took it home. At first it didn't bother me and I tried to just put it out of my mind. Well, last week he came over and started bragging about it again and this time it really ticked me off.

He tried to play it off like he didn't look at mine, but I know thats BS. He quoted probably 8 or 10 guys salary to me so I know he knows what I make, along with our director and the CIO/VP of IT. My question is, should I say something to my director? I like the guy don't get me wrong, but he has 3 kids and a wife that works part-time. He also lives in a double wide in backwoods GA. I just don't want to be responsible for his kids starving if he got fired.

I just don't know what to do

I would tell him I'm not interested in that sort of information and would appreciate him not sharing anymore with me. I would explain my reason as not knowing how acceptable this type of behavior is to management. I would tell him my job is important to me and I don't want to jeopardize it by knowing too much about any actions on his part if problems arise. That's as far as I would take it.

fitz

If he's told you, he's likely told others as well.

If you like the guy, pull him aside and tell him he's an idiot for jeopardizing the welfare of his children who are depending on him.
Tell him to shut up, mind his own business, and do the job well and maybe he'll survive.

If you don't like him, keep quiet and mind your own business, let the chips fall.

I agree with Fitz. That's confidential information so he should shut his trap. I wouldn't take it any further either, it will soon enough catch up with him.

I think you got good advice from both fitz and CottageFarm, and I don't see any good coming from reporting him. But even if you did, it wouldn't be your actions that were responsible for any outcome. That would be on him.

My issue is since he printed it there is proof he did it, and if by chance it leaked out I knew and didn't say anything I could get fired myself. I have a wife/son/farm to take care of and no matter friend or not family comes first.

Likely as not, since he now knows 'how' to access the info, and he has seen fit to share the fact he does and has shared personal information with you, he will do it again. This is the kind of thing that scares the heck out of us non-IT folks. Companies promise our personal information won't be shared, sold or used wrongly, but obviously "somebody" and often a lot of sombodys have access to a lot of information not relevant to their job--iow, they aren't in payroll or accounting.
I would read him the riot act over this--if he is tempted to compare salaries, he may be looking at more personal info as well, such as personnel efficiency or performance evals. I hate to see anyone lose a job, but if he laughs it off, you may have to be prepared to go further up the ladder with it. I'm not sure you shouldn't anyway.
Unless working with salary info is part of his job, it also sounds like someone needs to set some tighter Admin passwords.

A person like that can be a disaster for the entire operation. He needs to be gone. He will likely cull himself, but how much damage are you willing to have on your conscience?

Calhoun Farm":3iwjqm18 said:
My issue is since he printed it there is proof he did it, and if by chance it leaked out I knew and didn't say anything I could get fired myself. I have a wife/son/farm to take care of and no matter friend or not family comes first.

There is proof he did it. There is no proof you were complicit or even knew about it. Unless you discussed it with another employee it's still his word against yours.

However since he told you about it, he can certainly come back on you for ratting him out if he gets caught.

Confrontation is good for the soul. Rip him a new one. You can bet if you looked at my salary we'd have a problem. He is telling others but no one so far has had the guts to do the right thing and shut his stupid azz up. That responsibility falls on you. Put rocks in a sock and beat him with it. :D

Something similar happened at my workplace. A colleague (LAN Admin) got his grubby hands on the spreadsheet that had everyone's salary and % merit increase for the year.

The fellow used the info to try and ruffle feathers of other folks. He honestly could not keep his mouth shut, which bit him in the end.

Unluckily for him, someone did get butt hurt and went to the head honcho complaining about pay, etc. Spreadsheet guy ended up getting fired. Unfortunately, the guy emailed the spreadsheet company wide after leaving from an anonymous email acct. As you can imagine, some folks spent every working minute looking for a new job, many were disgruntled and unmotivated, and several ended up leaving the company shortly after the incident.

There were a few "salary adjustments" and that type of thing to smooth over some folks. It was a big disruption for quite some time.

My advice would be to anonymously tip off your boss.

you have gotten some pretty good advise, My take on it may be a little different because if you have any morals and are questioned in the future do you LIE and say he never told you or do you fess up and let them know you were aware and didn't say anything. that decision is yours to make. As far as him being your friend that's where I would draw the line. He is a devious person that is looking at this stuff for a reason. He can't be trusted because not only did he look at confidential information he printed it and told you and who ever else he has casual conversation with. and if he told them you can bet he told them he talked to you about it. He will use that information to drive a wedge in the office especially when he goes to the lowest paid person and tells them what you or someone else is making. IMO he needs to be culled.

I did end up telling my director, I didn't know what else to do. I also didn't know what was on the report he printed, it could have my SSN, bank account #'s etc (along with every IT employee). I have no way of knowing whom in his personal life he's shown this. I'm only friends with the guy at work. Yeah, I feel like a rat but I could have saved 85 people in our group identity theft also. I feel terrible right now, but he did this to himself and told people (not just me). It wasn't like I found out he did it and ratted him out, he told me point blank he did it.

Calhoun Farm":38930kgl said:
I did end up telling my director, I didn't know what else to do. I also didn't know what was on the report he printed, it could have my SSN, bank account #'s etc (along with every IT employee). I have no way of knowing whom in his personal life he's shown this. I'm only friends with the guy at work. Yeah, I feel like a rat but I could have saved 85 people in our group identity theft also. I feel terrible right now, but he did this to himself and told people (not just me). It wasn't like I found out he did it and ratted him out, he told me point blank he did it.
On a serious note, that is a tough spot to be in. I don't envy you one bit. But, this too shall pass.

Isomade":2kvsmgyh said:
Calhoun Farm":2kvsmgyh said:
On a serious note, that is a tough spot to be in. I don't envy you one bit. But, this too shall pass.

Thanks man, I feel terrible. My first thought while I was spilling my guts was his 3 little girls :(

I ran into that twice at our business, a few years ago a few employees started comparing wages and it caused a mess. I drew up a letter and had all sign it, any discussion or comparison of wages or bonuses would result in immediate termination. A few months ago one employee got caught looking into another payroll envelope. She was gone within the hour. Let's us know what happened to the spread sheet guy, he should get fired.

This sounds like someone trying to get on a power kick. Maybe control issues?

Why is he picking you? Does he earn more? Maybe that is more of his power game?

Let it go. One day soon he is going to get more rope to hang himself with. As long as there is no threat to the public, there is no point in you stressing over it.

Make sure he doesn't print things from your computer.

No actually I make about 7k more than him, I think it all started as a way for him to look like Mr. outlaw to our click at work. My director is getting with compliance to start an investigation. The **** is about to hit the fan.