Need some calf advice

Help Support CattleToday:

captaincoot

Reaction score
I.ve been having a few calves go bad this year and no one knows how to cure it. 2 vets haven.t helped much. The calves get 3-4 weeks old and its like they go dumb. fall over when they get up, go to nurse and just stand there. Had 3 out of a 100 do it . I keep them alive for 2-3 weeks. I did everything to them with no positive results. Any ideas guys and gals? Thanks

My first thought was Multi Min. Not sure if it would help, but if it is a mineral deficiency, it would help!

Thanks guys. Vet seems to think that's it now. Not for sure why they would be low I always have mineral blocks out. going to give them shots at birth for now on. Again Thank You :cboy:

captaincoot":2nhg77tm said:
Thanks guys. Vet seems to think that's it now. Not for sure why they would be low I always have mineral blocks out. going to give them shots at birth for now on. Again Thank You :cboy:

Most "mineral blocks" are basically blocks of brown salt, with traces of minerals in them. The cows get more salt than anything. A good loose mineral formulation is worth the $$$$. Having it available, free choice, is a better option. Where I am, in my part of Va., there is a company that formulates a blend, specific to our area. If you check with your local co-op you may find a similar product. If not, there are various mineral products available.

Neospora can sometimes lead to the live birth of mentally handicapped calves from contaminated mamas.

Hope you get it sorted soon. And, I echo the suggestion of feeding loose mineral formulated for your area.

Well the calf died. So the vet posted it. No white muscle. He said it's most likely bvd think that's right. Said the cow has it nothing you can do. He took tissue samples to. 3 I bought from salebarn are the problem cows. I should have known better good looking cows that are 3-4 years old (had all there shots) in the sale barn stay away from. Well the bright side of calving season 42 hiefers 40 calves two backward ones didn't make it. That's not to bad for me.
Last 14 years I've feed loose mineral got lazy this year and went to blocks. Going back to loose mineral. Going to change cow shoot program too. Man you guys are helpful on here. I'm an ex pig guy raising cows there's a learning curve. Learnings what makes life fun right. Again Thank you.

captaincoot":up0em7fc said:
Well the calf died. So the vet posted it. No white muscle. He said it's most likely bvd think that's right. Said the cow has it nothing you can do. He took tissue samples to. 3 I bought from salebarn are the problem cows. I should have known better good looking cows that are 3-4 years old (had all there shots) in the sale barn stay away from. Well the bright side of calving season 42 hiefers 40 calves two backward ones didn't make it. That's not to bad for me.
Last 14 years I've feed loose mineral got lazy this year and went to blocks. Going back to loose mineral. Going to change cow shoot program too. Man you guys are helpful on here. I'm an ex pig guy raising cows there's a learning curve. Learnings what makes life fun right. Again Thank you.

Sounds like me with the EDDI salt. A few years ago I quit buying it, thinking I didn't need it because I never had trouble with foot rot. I started putting out plain white salt instead. Guess what? I started having problems with foot rot.

Latest posts