Need some advice on buying a used truck

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Been thinking on buying a used truck and found one that belonged to an elderly man who passed away and the price seems right and it looks to be a good truck. However, listening to the ads on the radio has got me thinking that maybe I need to buy a "certified used truck". I don't think I can get any certification if I buy this other truck. I'm not sure but it seems like certification must be very important. Also I like the sound of the radio ads promising that if I buy a "certified used truck" from the dealership their "certified trained techicians" will go over it with a fine tooth comb. Of course I know a good mechanic who I always get to go over all my vehicles before I buy them but I just don't know if he is certified and I'd hate to embarrass him by asking if he is and he not be. But then again, what does this "certification" actually mean? Does it mean that they certify that the technician went to a training class? But attendance doesn't mean he learned anything does it? I mean he could have slept through the class. Or maybe he is untrainable and is as dumb as a sack of rocks. Either way, having a certified technician go over the truck does sound important. And what is the difference between a mechanic and a technician? I always figured one was union and one was not but I'm not sure. I also like the idea of the dealership's promise of paying me the top dollar for my trade in and giving me rock bottom pricing on a "certified used truck". This just sounds wonderful and I don't know how they do it but then again I don't know much about this kind of stuff so this is why I'm asking your opinion on it. Any help in this matter will greatly be appreciated.

About all "certified used" means is just that. They will gaurantee that it's used, and even give you a certificate. Of course looking at the odometer will tell you the same thing.

Certified does not mean they are qualified, just that they can pass the test. Years ago when working in a truck fleet I wanted to get my ASE certification just to prove it to myself and maybe help in getting a better job. Seen a guy I went to high school with that had about a thimble full of mechanical ability there taking the tests. I asked him why he was doing it and he thought it would good on his resume that he was a certified technician, and this guy could not even change a fuel filter.

I don't think you can go wrong having someone you trust to go over one. We are looking for a small car to replace the one that got wrecked last week, I like seeing a history report to make sure of no wrecks but wonder how accurate they are. Drove around last Saturday looking and wasted a lot of time as salemen said one was a good car, get there and find multiple problems. Surely a salesman would not mislead someone.

dun":t5n3a3c8 said:
About all "certified used" means is just that. They will gaurantee that it's used, and even give you a certificate. Of course looking at the odometer will tell you the same thing.
:lol: :nod:

Tom, does "certified technician" mean the same as "certified trained technician". Every other advertisement on the radio has been car advertisements so I've just about memorized their spill and at no time have they ever said it would be gone over by certified technicians only certified trained technicians if you see what I'm getting at.

Jogeephus":16y7k4i0 said:
Tom, does "certified technician" mean the same as "certified trained technician". Every other advertisement on the radio has been car advertisements so I've just about memorized their spill and at no time have they ever said it would be gone over by certified technicians only certified trained technicians if you see what I'm getting at.
IT depends on who is certifing and training them. ASE is indepent testing, but dealers send people thru the manufacturer training.

If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got. Joe in your case this old saying will work in your advantage. You've been successful in the past stick with it certified or not .

Larry

All "Ceritfied Used" is, a marketing technique to get people thinking just as you are. That the dealer's used autos are better and more dependable than anyone's else. Most of the major dealers have their shop, "certified" or not go through the used cars and trucks to see what they are like. The low mileage, good ones are kept and sold by the dealership. The rest are sold at auction or to some buy here, pay here car lot. The major dealers are very concerned about maintaining their reputations.

Jogee, I've got it. You design a test for a "Super Certified Used Mechanical Technician". E-mail it to me, along with the answers. I'll fill it out and send it back to you. Then you can buy regular old used trucks and e-mail me a pic. I'll e-mail you back a "Super certified certificate". When you sell the truck it will then be worth twice as much as what you paid and I'll only charge a $500 "Super Certification Fee". :banana:

Iso, I think you are on to something. Wonder if we could carry that on over to selling Super Certified Non Genuine - GM Parts cause after spending $78 (again) for 10 ounces of plastic for my truck maybe we could outsource the parts production to China and have them add a little metal to it so it will last longer than a year or so.

Jogeephus":116p97tb said:
Iso, I think you are on to something. Wonder if we could carry that on over to selling Super Certified Non Genuine - GM Parts cause after spending $78 (again) for 10 ounces of plastic for my truck maybe we could outsource the parts production to China and have them add a little metal to it so it will last longer than a year or so.

I'm sure it would be a thumbs up on the China deal, but adding a little metal ?!!, now you're just getting silly Joe.

Larry

well here we have a list of inspections to do if they need ,tires., brakes, shocks etc they get em.....and a short extended warranty ...............but id go with the old mans deal, if it were me :cowboy:

Jogeephus...stop listening to the radio! Go with the guy you trust...dealerships are marketing anything that "sounds" expensive just to make their high prices look like a deal!

ALACOWMAN":2dchi16i said:
used is such a ugly word dont you think,,, i think it needs to done away with,, makes me think of thrash when i hear it :cowboy:
Previously owned, experienced, formerly adopted.................... Like any of those any better?

ALACOWMAN":5y57cg9w said:
used is such a ugly word dont you think,,, i think it needs to done away with,, makes me think of thrash when i hear it :cowboy:
Hmm, interresting point. No one buys "used cows" or has a "used wife" :cowboy:

Isomade":3f6c7gum said:
ALACOWMAN":3f6c7gum said:
Hmm, interresting point. No one buys "used cows" or has a "used wife" :cowboy:
A friend of mine used to always introduce his wife a "My current wife Carol" sometimes he change it up and use "My first wife Carol". They're still married and when my wife and I got married they had 3 kids the oldest being 8 at the time. Puts them darn close to 50 years.

I'll probably just keep what I got cause I know its a genuine used vehicle with only 198,000 miles on it. 350,000 is my goal then I may just drop a new motor in it cause the tag fees are getting ridiculous on the new or certified used ones. It just tickles me to listen to these ads and btw my X was certifiable so I've been down that road already.

Certified vehicles come with a warranty. However in reality you are paying for it. I started to purchase a used certified vehicle once and the price was higher than anotehr one. The dealer explained the price was higher to cover the warranty they supplied with certified vehicles.

Latest posts