Need opinion

Help Support CattleToday:

lithuanian farmer

Reaction score
We're thinking to buy a Shorthorn bull next year for our crossbreeded cows. Have anyone had shorthorn bull and what will be reviews about crossbreeding using shorthorn bull?

The only thing bad I have to say about them is the color. Roan or "pretty" colored calves go for cheaper at the sales here so we do not nor ever will use Shorthorns. The herds that have in the past still have pretty calves show up once in a while which really hurts their entire loads price. Roan color carriers don't always look roan so it's hard to select against too. Also prefer 100 % polled for the same reasons.

Colour does not matter for us, because we're selling bulls for meet. The most important thing for us is what is carcass yield %, they character( because we need to contact a lot with cattle, everyday I go to bulls and heifers pastures, sometimes I go to cows pastures then my parents can't) and how they absorbe feed, are they need to give lots of nutritious feed that they'll gain a lot of weight.

Hey ladies! -felt my ears burning. Color doesn't matter for anyone that has a lick of marketing sense but even if you dont, you're still in luck! There are MANY solid red shorthorn herds out there to select a stabalized red, polled bull from. They grade as good as ANY.

Red Bull Breeder":3028cjiu said:
My My look whats turned up. The OP ain't interested in grade either.
Or the color...But can someone answers the OP's question? Do you think it's good idea to use a Shorthorn bull on her crossbred cows? See how her cows are mixed breeds, mostly muscular lean breeds so what is the results come out of this cross?

Of course it is a good idea. Shorthorns are a British breed and should be compared as so. Shorthorns have as good of carcass characteristics (that better RBB?) as any breed there is. Numerous closeouts I can direct you to support this.

Shorthorns are a dual purpose breed: meat and dairy. When you try to cover both bases you get a dairy animal that makes more meat than standard dairy breeds and/or a beef animal that makes more milk than most standard beef breeds (in theory). What you get in practice is an animal that does a half assed job of either.

What does your market require? Which breeds are commonly available to accomplish this task? Is there an obvious premium or discount associated with certain breeds or crosses? What age / wt will you be marketing progeny? Answer these basic questions for yourself and you will arrive at the right answer for your situation.

robert":3thftzv5 said:
What does your market require? Which breeds are commonly available to accomplish this task? Is there an obvious premium or discount associated with certain breeds or crosses? What age / wt will you be marketing progeny? Answer these basic questions for yourself and you will arrive at the right answer for your situation.
We sell young bulls(13-22months old,weight 500-700kg(1100-1543Ibs)) to meet factory. The biggest price we can get then carcass weight is bigger than 280kg(~617 Ibs) and then carcass yield % is higher than 59%. Breed isn't important.

Coco Donatella":2da2pgoi said:
Shorthorns are a dual purpose breed: meat and dairy. When you try to cover both bases you get a dairy animal that makes more meat than standard dairy breeds and/or a beef animal that makes more milk than most standard beef breeds (in theory). What you get in practice is an animal that does a half assed job of either.

Shorthorns are not a dual purpose breed. Milking Shorthorns and Beef Shorthorns are not the same thing. We bred our grade Jersey cows to Milking Shorthorn a couple of years ago. There is information about both Milking and beef Shorthorn at: http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/cattle/

Milking Shorthorn cow:
milksh1.jpg

Shorthorn cow:
shorthorn%20cow.jpg

I oughta kiss your face, Chippie - takin up for my shorthorns and all :blush:

As a matter of fact, there are actually all three types: milking, beef, and dual purpose. True beef shorthorns like the bottom cow Chippie posted are the best kept secret in the beef industry. Do some research of your own as far as feed test and carcass results are concerned. Not to mention their docility and maternal instinct. Don't succumbing to old stereotypes! Take the initiative to find out what the shorthorn breed offers before you automatically assume you know.

And ol Denver, you oughta be ashamed - Missouri is home to some of the best beef shorthorns in the country . A trip to Sedalia would change your mind for sure.

chippie":eo1jwk69 said:
Coco Donatella":eo1jwk69 said:
Shorthorns are not a dual purpose breed. Milking Shorthorns and Beef Shorthorns are not the same thing. We bred our grade Jersey cows to Milking Shorthorn a couple of years ago. There is information about both Milking and beef Shorthorn at: http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/cattle/
According to the site you quote:
"As explained, the Milking Shorthorn is not a separate and distinct breed, but rather a segment of the Shorthorn breed. The pedigrees of both the Milking Shorthorn and the scotch Shorthorn trace to the same foundation animals if carried to breed origin. "
They are branches off the same tree.

As far as the "shorthorn" bull you bred to your cattle:
http://www.albc-usa.org/cpl/milkingshorthorn.html
"Another factor in the decline of the Milking Shorthorn has occurred more recently. In an effort to increase milk production, the breed's herdbook has been opened to substantial introduction of outside blood, first from Illawara (Australian Shorthorn) and then Red and White Holstein. Today, many of the bulls registered as Milking Shorthorn are actually one­half or more ­Holstein. While these introductions did increase production, they also reduced the breed's genetic uniqueness."

I am not saying that they dont have there purpose but the poster is wanting to increase beef production. She asked for opinions and in my opinion she needs to look to another breed to reach her goal.

I don't see how use a Shorthorn bull can increase the carcass weight when bred to the continental cows. Maybe a good replacement heifer out of Shorthorn x continental cross but personally I would stick to using a bull of continental breed. As I've told that shorthorns can be a little fatty.

Latest posts