Need lesson on fence pliers...

Help Support CattleToday:

DavisBeefmasters

Reaction score
Okay, I've searched the boards and I'm trying to find a step-by-step example of how to use these darn things... The high tensile fence thread was close but only had a picture of the end product...

...the hubby makes it look darn simple to grab it with the pliers, insert another pair of pliers in the handle, twist, and like magic... the wire is tight -- apparently I haven't paid close enough attention so there is a really cruddy fence repair that hopefully he won't see until I can get it right :oops: ...

Can anyone guide me to a website with pics to figure this out or take some pics for me so I can attempt again?

Thanks.

What job are you talking about doing with the wire and pliers? Could you explain a little more?

I'm looking to splice the barb wire together...

...so at the break, he makes an eye on each end by folding a loop and wrapping the broken ends around it... and then he adds a new piece of barb wire in the middle..

...the one end is just another eye, but the second end he somehow grabs hold of with the fence pliers and turns the pliers and has it tighten up at the same time...

...hard to explain, and I'll be dipped if I just can't make my brain see how to do it (so the fence is currently hand tight).

...any/all help appreciated.

I'd give up on that, and get a good crimper and some sleeves.... looks the best and takes less time.

Michele

Sorry,don't know that trick. Guess you'll have to watch closely next time.

mitch2":3516rneb said:
I'd give up on that, and get a good crimper and some sleeves.... looks the best and takes less time.

Michele
Thats what we use, crimper and sleeves. They look so.....flimsy but work great.
But I know what you are talking about DB, done that trick too. I don't know how to explain, and am probably not best source for info. Almost took a finger off with a fencing pliers last summer.

DavisBeefmasters":5bmuoxfz said:

...so at the break, he makes an eye on each end by folding a loop and wrapping the broken ends around it... and then he adds a new piece of barb wire in the middle...

If you join wires with an "eye" it gives it a good place to rust and break. I use a telegraph splice. It can be made with fencing pliers. Two pliers work best, one to clamp the wires together and one to wrap the tag ends. The following link has an example:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24342&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=telegraph&start=15

another example found on the net:
http://workmanship.nasa.gov/guidadv_rec ... splice.jsp

You can get the old fashion fence puller and pull the wires taught from both sides. Then no matter whether you tie or splice in any fashion, it will remain taught. Careful not to over tighten.

The pullers I am talking about work like the old fashion bumper jacks. There are wire grippers on either end. They are simple to use and work great. Pull the break to the center and splice any way you choose.

I have been wanting to do a picture and written instruction for my entire family. I seem to be the ONLY one here than can do the splice you are talking about. It works great and it is my favorite. You don't even need two pairs of pliers if you can pick up a good stout oak or mesquite stick. Which makes it great for instant repairs if you have a bit of wire and a pair of fence pliers - don't need to lug a bunch of stuff around. Can easily pack on a saddle or in a small pouch in vehicle etc.

The trick is to roll the opposite direction from the splice - the UNintuitive direction, get it good and tight and then fold it back to hold it before unrolling your pliers.

Another trick is to NOT use barbed wire for the spacer. Either smooth 12.5 gauge or just a doubled piece of baling wire. NOT tie wire - BALING.

I might do this and post it for you if I have time tomorrow. You can be my test subject :lol2:

milesvb":n0nkr142 said:
DavisBeefmasters":n0nkr142 said:

...so at the break, he makes an eye on each end by folding a loop and wrapping the broken ends around it... and then he adds a new piece of barb wire in the middle...

If you join wires with an "eye" it gives it a good place to rust and break. I use a telegraph splice. It can be made with fencing pliers. Two pliers work best, one to clamp the wires together and one to wrap the tag ends. The following link has an example:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24342&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=telegraph&start=15

another example found on the net:
http://workmanship.nasa.gov/guidadv_rec ... splice.jsp

Need some kind of stretcher to do that - although it is a nice neat tight splice. I am lucky if I have some baling wire and the fence pliers with me when I find a break - the "real" tools are always either in the "other" vehicle or in the shed. :roll:

I know the trick he is using. I will use it if it is an emergency quick fix. Stretchers are cheap, and worth their weight in gold. I use the yellow "gear rack" type that seem to be the standard these days. Using the stretcher to make your splice is just as fast as the pliers, but much easier, and much tighter.
http://doitbest.com/Wire+stretchers+and ... 763853.dib
They work well for stretching in the middle of a run, such as a splice, and also stretching to a corner post. Also, I prefer the "eye" splice as opposed to the crimpers. Two reasons; I have seen the crimps let loose while stretching a fence, and also if I need to stretch a long run later, I can do it from the eye splice by just taking it apart. The issue of rusting and breaking at an eye splice is certainly valid, but I figure if the wire is rusty enough not to hold the splice, it needs replaced anyway. The telegraph splice is a very good option, I just can't seem to get it very tight. I always end up having to re-stretch from the corner. As much fencing as I have to do every year, I don't want to re-anything.

I keep the yellow fence stretcher handy,use it for patching fence and I use a come along when building fence,those yellow fence stretchers are really neat and if you bend the tag ends of your wire back over the splice,it holds alot better.
good luck

Well, I'll be keeping our fence stretchers in the ATV with me now... so when I feed, the splice will look like his... just accomplished differently... :D

Thanks to all who responded.

Very well explained hippie rancher. We permanently repair all our breaks this way when riding fence. As long as you are careful not to kink the wire it gives a very tight and lasting repair. :clap:

Latest posts