Need help with new pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

Horticattleman

Reaction score
I have a new 30 acre pasture given to me and I want to replant it. It was farmed for years, and is now just weeds. What are your reccomendations for what I should plant and when. And yes I know some of you know I'm a Horticulturist, BUT I do ornamentals and never really fool with grass other than turfgrass. Besides I value an opinion more from a person who raises cattle on pasture than a scientist.

Answer the same questions you'd ask of someone wanting landscaping done, then you'll get better answers.

What zone do you live in?
What is the topography like?
What kinds of soil do you have?
How droughty or wet is the land?
What is your intended use? Do you want to increase forage production that is harvested as hay? Do you want extra winter grazing, or more grazing during the summer slump?
You say it was given to you, will you have it permanently or could it be taken from you at any time?
Do you have the ability to harvest the excess as hay?
Will you be grazing it rotationally or have a set stocking rate?
How recently was it farmed? Watch out for residual chemicals which could inhibit seedling growth.
Are there perennial weed patches that may require spraying to get under control?

Horticattleman":1oru2h7c said:
I have a new 30 acre pasture given to me and I want to replant it. It was farmed for years, and is now just weeds. What are your reccomendations for what I should plant and when. And yes I know some of you know I'm a Horticulturist, BUT I do ornamentals and never really fool with grass other than turfgrass. Besides I value an opinion more from a person who raises cattle on pasture than a scientist.

Knowing where you live Pensacola Bahia would be the fastest to
establish pasture.

Caustic Burno":1mp1gmb6 said:
Horticattleman":1mp1gmb6 said:

establish pasture.
Caustic how about the Tifiton 5 Bahai. Have you seen any thing on it. I know of one man here that has planted it. He said there was more grass leaves and not as many seed heads.

hurleyjd":ie7zl6ob said:
Caustic Burno":ie7zl6ob said:
Horticattleman":ie7zl6ob said:

establish pasture.
Caustic how about the Tifiton 5 Bahai. Have you seen any thing on it. I know of one man here that has planted it. He said there was more grass leaves and not as many seed heads.
OOPS I should have said Tifton 9

hurleyjd":25szmxv2 said:
hurleyjd":25szmxv2 said:
Caustic Burno":25szmxv2 said:
Horticattleman":25szmxv2 said:

establish pasture.
OOPS I should have said Tifton 9

Never seen any Tifton that I know of the Paraguay is the best bahia just really hard to get established.

You'll have a longer growing season with bahia. It will green up quicker and die back later but once the nights are hot enough to sleep with your sheets down the Bermudas will outgrow it and out produce it. Bahia doesn't require the fertilizer hybrid bermuda does but it doesn't produce the grass either. Both have good points as well as bad - really depends on what you are looking for and the type management you employ.

Without looking at the field it is hard to say what to do for establishment. But you need to treat it as a crop. If you go with bahia, be careful not to put too much N on ground at establishment for this could create a weed problem and choke out the seedlings. P & K are important though. (No more than 30# of N.)

Horticattleman":2eyuv7f1 said:
what are some differences in the Pensacola and say Bermudas. Should I kill all the old stuff there before I turn it?

Bermuda is a better all around grass but costs more to establish and takes more management.

Centipede is the main invasive culprit in bahia, and bahia is the main culprit in bermuda.

I would do complete chemical burn before planting. If at all possible.

Latest posts