Need help on replanting

Help Support CattleToday:

Utah

Reaction score
Hi, I haven't posted very often, but I have a beginners question on pastures if you all could help:

I have 3 acres in pasture split in thirds by hot wire. The grass is mostly poor quality in my opinion but it is green with plenty of irrigation water and I added nitrogen. I dont know the grass types and there is a VERY small clover that doesn't grow more than about an inch above ground. The tall grass is something like a "salt grass" from what the neighbors have said. The soil is more clay-like and harder on the surface yet the water table is fairly high with a higher salt content.

There are two steers that can't keep up with the growth (next year I'll probably get five or six steers to grow out). Four horses graze occasionally but they are so selective that in one day they have eaten all of the good grass down to nothing. So I get them off after only a few days while the rest of the pasture over-grows and then I have to mow.

If I wanted to start over maybe one third at a time, what would you all suggest? Are there mixtures of seed that wont get so selectively eaten? Will this keep the weeds down? Is there anything that only loves weeds?

Thank you for any reply, be patient, I am still new...

Beefy":131q8kuf said:
goats like weeds.
RENT ($) your pasture out to someone who has goats or sheep. You earn some $ from the rent, get rid of the weeds, and ad goat or sheep manure to your soil. But you need fences which will contain the goats - like prison walls!

Well, you may likely have white clover in there. it is often used as a lawn clover.....as far as renovation of the pasture, the first thing to do is get soil samples sent off through your local ag. extension service, this is usualy free, or close to it.
And while you are there, you can get information and advice about how to best go about the renovation.... they will likely offer to come out and meet you at your place, again, this is all free, (well it seems free, it's not really, you have already paid for it via state taxes)

I have found our local agents to be excellent resources for these matters........except for my plans to add kudzo to the pastures, they are game to try about anything.

You may just need some amendments to the soil and an overseed. :cboy:

Thanks for the replies. I still am wondering what types of grass will do best. The ag agent suggested fescue but I worry about that type with the toxins and my horses. I'm still hoping for more suggestions.

What about some type of wheatgrass? Crested perhaps, or maybe intermediate. There are many different types and all of them do good here. You are not all that far away, with the same type of environment as we have, although you probably get more rain that we do. We had wheatgrass on the ranch and never had a problem with the cows/horses not eating it. The cattle got pretty darn fat on it, actually!

Something else to think about is blackroot grass. I don't know it that is the actual name of it, but we had that in the hills and it's some darn good grass.

msscamp":3g7mzqzk said:
What about some type of wheatgrass? Crested perhaps, or maybe intermediate. There are many different types and all of them do good here.

Something else to think about is blackroot grass. I don't know it that is the actual name of it, but we had that in the hills and it's some darn good grass.

Should I plant a mixture or just one type of grass? The feed store sells an "irrigated pasture seed mixture" but it also has fescue. I just hate it when the horses eat the "good" grass down to the dirt and leave the other stuff to go to head. :(

Utah":1nbz6ehn said:
msscamp":1nbz6ehn said:
What about some type of wheatgrass? Crested perhaps, or maybe intermediate. There are many different types and all of them do good here.

Should I plant a mixture or just one type of grass? The feed store sells an "irrigated pasture seed mixture" but it also has fescue. I just hate it when the horses eat the "good" grass down to the dirt and leave the other stuff to go to head. :(

Do you have irrigation on your place? If not, I think I would stay away from an 'irrigated pasture mix', may end up being disappointed with its performance. May also want to check around for native grass type mixtures. The recommended acres/cow is 33 here, but the wheatgrass does pretty darn good for no more rainfall than we get. A mixture of crested, native, intermediate, etc would do no harm. See what your extension agent says about it.

I do have water, lots if I need it. I have 3 acres and had only two cows on it. I have had to mow it 4 times this year because the animals do not eat it all - crappy grass.

Next year I think I will get 5 or 6 cows and sell a few mid-summer when the pasture slows down.

The ag agent said to plant tall fescue. I guess I will try to look for some without the enophyte.

If you are not comfortable with the tall fescue and since you have the means of irrigating, see what is included in the irrigation mix, do a search for the attributes of the grass types included, talk to the neighbors, and go from there. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Ok, I think I got the types of seed I will plant.

Question now is: How should I re-seed it? Are there typically people that will do it for a fee? What equipment is needed?
Can it be done with rental equipment or will I need a plow? Can it be over-seeded?

Utah":zcsibg9z said:
Ok, I think I got the types of seed I will plant.

Question now is: How should I re-seed it? Are there typically people that will do it for a fee? What equipment is needed?
Can it be done with rental equipment or will I need a plow? Can it be over-seeded?

I would think, depending on what is growing and how heavy it is, that you would be able to disc it up and then plant the grass seed with a regular drill. Dad has done that with varying results, mainly because the drill we have is ancient and hard to regulate as far as the amount of seed being planted and how deep. A newer drill would be much easier to control how much seed is being planted. I have no idea how deep to drill (he has always done the farming and I have always taken care of the cows), but I can ask him and let you know. Depending on the weed content, you may have to spray for weeds until the grass gets to going good and is able to choke them out, but a 4-wheeler, spray tank and 2-4D should handle that with no problem, or possibly even a backpack sprayer depending on your acreage. And yes, you should be able to hire someone to disc your acreage up and plant it to grass. You may be able to over-seed, if you have access to a manure spreader and the manure that goes in it. Unless you have good rainfall, I don't see how overseeding will work all that well. If you over seed and then irrigate, the water will wash the grass seed away and you will have a very thick stand in some areas and no grass in others. Weeds will then move in and it won't work very well.

Latest posts