Need Help lost 2 this week

Help Support CattleToday:

hstoker

Reaction score
Hello I am new to the cattle business per say. I have been farming on my own for 2 years now. This week I found an older cow of mine, one of my best, dead. I checked her out and could not find any signs of injury or symptoms that would cause great alarm, so I attributed it to old age but was still saddened and perplexed. Her calf was old enough to be weined however I believe it was still nursing so I fed it grain. Today I found the calf dead. It had blood coming from its mouth and bottom. I am very concerned and unable to get in touch with a vet at this time. Could anyone please help me figure out what might have caused this? I would greatly appreciate it. I do not want to loose anymore cattle.

Holy Smokes ~ I hate to reply when I have nothing to contribute, except to say the next time (hopefully there will not be a next time!), cool the dead calf ~ cool as you can get it with out freezing it. This will buy time to get it to a vet to have an autopsy. Could be that the calf was injured but I don;t think so. I hope someone else jumps in on this.

angie2":2rkcrhpx said:
Holy Smokes ~ I hate to reply when I have nothing to contribute, except to say the next time (hopefully there will not be a next time!), cool the dead calf ~ cool as you can get it with out freezing it. This will buy time to get it to a vet to have an autopsy. Could be that the calf was injured but I don;t think so. I hope someone else jumps in on this.

Thank you "Angie2" for your help. I too hope that there will not be a next time; however, I appreciate your desire to help.

What type of grain?
How much? How often?
Rumensin?
Cracked grain? How fine? How coarse?
Whole grain?

When you found the dead cow how was the calf...head hanging, ears drooping, panting?
Were these animals vaccinated?

Real sorry to hear about the loss.

Latest posts