Need Help Identifying Skin Problem

Help Support CattleToday:

Highland Girl

Reaction score
Hi,

Could anyone tell me what this is and what is the best treatment?

p2280038.jpg

p2280049.jpg

Sorry the pics are not very good. Calf shy and I was trying to stay kicking distance away!! :)

Thanks
Highland Girl

ALACOWMAN":336v3577 said:
looks like proud flesh was there a injury there?

Not that I know of. The site is the back inside leg just above the joint. It is on a 9 month old highland calf.

Highland Girl

Well if it is proud flesh and it aint a show animal i woulnt be too concerned. if you can get it up and trim small amounts off the top with a razor it should start to bleed if its proud flesh. they make somthing called granulex topical solution to remove proud flesh and heal it.

Pappiloma/warts? Possibly proudflesh.
If warts, they'll go away in time. If proudflesh, shouldn't cause any problems either.
Perhaps you can get her into a chute/head-gate and scrape off a sample and have it analyzed.

Katherine

Took the photo down to the vets. They think that is caused by an virus and will go away by itself. That I should just keep checking to make sure it dosen't get infected.

Highland Girl

the legs are the worst place for proud flesh to happen.but i would listen to the vet and keep a eye on it and wouldnt worry too much about it. its a long way from the heart ;-)

Highland Girl":m82u6gr2 said:
Hi,

Could anyone tell me what this is and what is the best treatment?

p2280038.jpg

p2280049.jpg

Sorry the pics are not very good. Calf shy and I was trying to stay kicking distance away!! :)

Thanks
Highland Girl

Highland Girl:
The pics. looked like something my dog contracted when I was a child. I accidently cut his tail with the lawn mower, just the tip. It was a little cut compaired to what it could have been. Anyway, it got infected and it looked like you pics. I took him to the vet and he said it was screwworm, caused by a certin flyies. They have since arridicated in the US but I don't know about England. Maybe?

Latest posts