need help...hereford bull

Help Support CattleToday:

regenwether

Reaction score
I've been enjoying this web site for some time. One thing I've noticed is there isn't a lack of love for hereford's! I'm not up on all the different blod lines out there. I can see from many posts there are a few of you out there that might be able to help me.

I've been running a Polled hereford bull for the last few yrs. Love the calves I get off my black Cows. I've been keeping back the heifers for replacements. The probelm I'm getting into now is I'm getting too many daughters in the herd. I thought I was going to have to sell the bull. Then I found another pasture and expanded my herd. I bought some really nice Black Angus cows. I'm planning on keeping the bull and continue to keep the Heifers.

My Hereford is around 7 so he has a number of good years left to go. I'm already thinking about his replacement. I've contacted my Herford breeder. They do a lot of A.I.ing. I would like to get some advice from some of you Hereford Guru's on a good bloodline we can use.
------------------------------------------------------------
I contacted everybody that I got the cow's from to find out their background. I bought some aged Cows from a really nice herd. A few names he stated that you might know is "Marshell" and "Summercrest".

I also Bought some Heifer's that came from Montana. A few names they gave me is "Really Windy" and "Alberta 416"
------------------------------------------------------------
The Herford breeder said a lot of his Cow's are from "Rimimintall Boomer 416B" background. So I'm looking for a good Maternal herford bull to put on these cows. The offspring will be put on those Angus cows.

All those Breeding names are a little greek to me but hopefully some of you know what kind of cow's I'm talking about.

I'm not interested in any bull that doesn't have much offspring. The type of replacment I'm looking for is an emphasis on moderate frame cow that are easy fleshing yet still put the pounds on the calf. I feel longevity and durability is a key to an successful Cow herd.

I hope I have not confused you all! :D So the bloodline I'm looking for is to put on those Rimintall Cows. With the offspring to be put on those black cows to used for replacements. The angus are polled so I don't care if it is a Horned bull. :)

I'm a little confused about your wants. If I understand you correctly you want a proven Hereford bull to breed to Hereford cows that are from Rematil's line. You also want to be able to produce 5 frame baldies and use the F1 bulls that you produce to breed to your baldies. If those conditions are correct then I would strongly consider contacting Reed Enterprise about some of the Victor lines that they are using. Candy Meadows Farm also use many Victor based bulls and produce several each year to sell. Reed Farms has some of their AI bulls listed on the Hereford web site under semen catalogs. Look at the 262D bull he may suit you , but he will not help you with his calving ease on Remital and angus cattle.

For a horned bull you might try some of these

OXH MARK DOMINO 0125 or OXH MARK DOMINO 8020

For polled there is a lot of talk about DR WORLD CLASS 517 10H, AND FELTONS LEGEND 242.

I am not much into the polled so you might want to do some more research.

The 8020 daughters are really good and hold up. JHH

By the way it is spelled REMITALL. :)

I'd suggest HH Advance 216M...I don't AI much, but i've had a lot of success with him in the past...still have a few 216 cows that are doing great for me

Knersie...I checked out that web site. Looks like a really nice Bull. The Marshel name I was given was from the Angus breeder. He said his cow's ahd some "Marshel" and "Summercrest" background. There must be a Angus line out there with the "Marshell" name. Thanks for the help! :D

LFF...I want to find a hereford bull to put on those Rematil cow's. The offspring bull will then be breeding those angus cows for replacement heifer's.

To give you a better anwser I need some more information. Does you present herd need more or less milking ability and the Remital herefords do they need more or less milk influence? You said that you want easy fleshing so that would lead me to think that your present herd may be too lean or milking too much for your enviroment or management practices. Are the Remital herefords too large and do they pocess a abundant amount of ribeye area? If they can give up some ribeye area then it will make it much easier to make a good call for bulls to use in your program as long as the milk , enviroment , and management conditions are somewhat known. I hope I'm not confusing with this post , but you are asking for something that can not be correctly given without some additional information. Personally I believe that I currently have a bull that would work well with what I've heard so far. He came from Candy Meadow Farm and they probally have some 1/2 brothers to sell. Mine's registration number is 42476942 , he weighs 1600-1700 pounds , is 3 years and 2 months old , and is no larger than a 5 frame probally nearer to a 4.5 frame.

I guess I'll go to my ABS rep. Thank You for everybody's imput. I'm going to forward some of these bull to my hereford breeder.

NamVet_Farmer44....I checked out HH Advance 216M on the Hereford Ass. web site. I've got a question. I'm not up on all the EPD's. The Birth wt. had a +4.8 however the calving ease was a -1.5. What kind of birth wt should I expect from that bull?? Does Calve ease have something to do with head size?? I really don't like my calve's over 90 lbs. If I can help it. Keep in mind I want its offspring (Bull) to be use on my purebred angus cows for replacement heifers.

Feltons Legend has a Calve ease of +10.9 and a Birth wt. of -.3 . So what does that mean as far as Birth wt.????

Of the 2 you mentioned, the lower birth weight should 66% of the time be lower with the Legend bull. Calving ease, higher number indicates easier calving, is governed by a lot of things. BW is one, shape of the calf, i.e. head size, shoulder angle, body diameter vs length, etc. aall enter into it. There are bulls available that have high WW and YW and still have way above average calving ease.

dun

regenwether":2fn1vbn8 said:
Thanks Dun! You know of any good maternal Hereford lines??

Nope, haven;t found one yet. We did use a bull that turned out great daughters, but they cut his head off 4-5 years ago and the semen isn;t around anymore..

dun

I think alot of Line 1 cattle are good maternally. You may want to take a look at HH ADVANCE 767G 1ET, his daughters milk very well and are also very fertile. Milk and fertility doesn't normally go together but it does with 767 daughters. He is also a calving ease bull that works great on heifers. You can get his semen through ABS.

http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-bin/i ... 0&9=5F5B51

Latest posts