Need help from Clipping Experts

Help Support CattleToday:

SWSFHerefords

Reaction score
I have been looking up clipping tips and pictures of clipped cattle to try to get a better idea of what I need. A lot of people use several different clipper blades and I think that might help me a lot since I just use the blades that came on the clippers...bad I know lol. But I dont really know what blades I need. I have a set of Oster Showmasters and a set of smaller two speed andis clippers I use blocking blades on. So my question is what size blades do you use and where do you use them? Meaning like 5/8 blades on the neck area or that kind of thing. Can anyone help me out?

As far as I am concerned, as long as you know what you are doing, you only need a set of sheep heads and set of beef heads.

Mind you, I don't show anymore, just show 4-Her's how to clip, so I just use beef (flat/conventional) heads.

Take your time, and do it early enough that you can allow for mistakes. Nothing makes me break a sweat quicker than clipping a possible winner the day before the show.

To do a good job, allow a full day. I have spent 2 hours just clipping the front end on an animal. When I go to 4-H prep days, people get impatient with the time it takes for me to clip an animal lightly. I'm a perfectionist and I never am satisfied with the work I do. :cowboy: