Need help choosing Hereford AI sire

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Our daughter has a Hereford she wants to have bred AI. Have a friend at a dairy that will do it, easiest semen to get ahold of is thru ABS or Accelerated Genetics. Calving ease is a must and would also have a couple others bred at the same time but they are not registered and some are black.

Here is the heifer, P42788071

Here is an older pic of her
MVC-002F-2.jpg

From Accelerated Genetics My choices would be Kudzu because of his carcass traits and a close second is DR World Class, a good looking bull, not a youngster and still on his way up. From ABS hands down over all other bulls it; SHF Ribeye M326 R117. He's out of a great bull (M326) and great carcass traits, milking and ease of calving. All bulls I mentioned are easy calving bulls.

I see you your daughters heifer is a Top Secrect daughter, another bull I like a lot and have in my tanks, as well as KCF Bennett 3008 M326. Also the heifers dam is out a of P606, pretty well bred Heifer, I think Ribeye of even M326 himself may be a good cross for you. But over all others in the ABS and Accelerated herd my choice would be Ribeye.

Just curious is why no EPDs on your heifer, I'm sure they are pretty good..... Is it the take of AHA membership you have?

Alan

Alan":rubbotb9 said:
From Accelerated Genetics My choices would be Kudzu because of his carcass traits and a close second is DR World Class, a good looking bull, not a youngster and still on his way up. From ABS hands down over all other bulls it; SHF Ribeye M326 R117. He's out of a great bull (M326) and great carcass traits, milking and ease of calving. All bulls I mentioned are easy calving bulls.

I see you your daughters heifer is a Top Secrect daughter, another bull I like a lot and have in my tanks, as well as KCF Bennett 3008 M326. Also the heifers dam is out a of P606, pretty well bred Heifer, I think Ribeye of even M326 himself may be a good cross for you. But over all others in the ABS and Accelerated herd my choice would be Ribeye.

Just curious is why no EPDs on your heifer, I'm sure they are pretty good..... Is it the take of AHA membership you have?

Alan

EPD's as listed on papers, guess they don't show on the site because she is not a member, yet
ce -.2
bw 2.3
ww 49
yw 76
mm 27
rea .25
fat .01

Just wondering..............

You would take the advice of strangers even though they haven't seen the cows along their strong points and weaknesses?

Breeding decisions should be done on an individual basis of the cows to me. IMHO

First calf heifer.........concentrate on low BW to get her in production with less chance of calving problems and/or stress. Don't worry about what will make a good show calf out of her at this point. Same goes for the others since you do not have a clear idea of their genetic make-up and you are crossing with a Hereford.

MikeC":o3mltkym said:

You would take the advice of strangers even though they haven't seen the cows along their strong points and weaknesses?

Breeding decisions should be done on an individual basis of the cows to me. IMHO

Just asking to see if anyone has used any of these sires. Live calf is the first goal. Nothing wrong with asking for input and factoring that into your decision.

Alan":12rionap said:

Do you have to turn in your inventory to have EPDs? I always thought that was part of it.

On Accelerate Genetics I like Kudzu and Recruit. ABS doesn't have as many show type bulls, but if you're ok with horns you may look at Harland.

BW should be #1 consideration for a heifer, like 1848 said. Also I agree with mike, pictures can lie and hide faults that one would easily be able to pick out in person. Good Luck!

MikeC":3p3ub1ir said:

Mike, I assume you are talking about his black and unregistered cows. Not the one pictured with access to a pedigree and EPD's.

I agree with your statement as far as the other cows goes, but we have enough info to make a educated guess on a good match up for the show heifer.

Alan

CPL":2vfznkw7 said:
but if you're ok with horns you may look at Harland.

I agree with both, a low BW shouold be your biggest consideration, Others may disagree with this statement, but I haven't had any trouble with a BW of 4 or lower. Another good bull that may fit your criteria is Feltons Legend 242 (although I know some don't like him because of his ancesters, just a nice way to say a bull deep in his pedigree). :D

I didn't consider any horned bulls, no offense to any of the Horned Hereford breeders. The heifers dam is horned, so at the very least you heifer is recessive for the horned gene. Good chance of getting a horned form the crossing, which is not bad, just info.

Alan

Alan":f6y9i62t said:

Alan

I agree with Alan on Kudzu and Rib Eye, they may not be show bulls, but I think they are bulls that will sire functional cattle.
Legend 242 would also be a good choice.

If you want to go polled, a thing to consider is that Rib Eye is hetrozygous polled, as is his sire M326.

I would go with the Rib Eye bull mostly because I haven't ever seen anything out of the Kudzu bull.

The Ribeye calves have been thick and powerful. I used him on some of the cows and all the heifers last year, and hope to buy a son of his this year.

tom4018":1bojtt7g said:
MikeC":1bojtt7g said:

Just asking to see if anyone has used any of these sires. Live calf is the first goal. Nothing wrong with asking for input and factoring that into your decision.
Tom-

I will have to differ with you a little bit, even though your comment about a live calf being the first goal has merit. In my opinion, the genetic and phenotypic qualities of a calf must take precedence over JUST a 'live' calf. We have wa-a-ay over TOO many 'live calves' that should not even be alive! That is why the general overall quality of the nation's beef herd is questionable at best. I know that my stance is picky, and could be considered argumentative, and I don't mean to be argumentative, because there is NO argument about it. The general level of quality of the Beef Cattle Herds of America should be 66% HIGHER genetically and phenotypically than they are, and the Breeders and Producers having their FIRST priority as 'live calves' without a positive thought as to their quality, is "JOB ONE" in overcoming that situation.

I don't DISagree with the other factors mentioned here, but QUALITY stands first in line! I watched a few Superior Auction sales this last week, and the quality being displayed there and touted as "- - -as fine a bunch of cattle as - -blah - -blah - -blah " almost made me sick. Most of them had "FUNNEL BUTTS" so bad they could barely walk. - - - -and unknowing beeders just fell over themselves bidding three to five thousand dollars for stuff that should have been already hanging on a rail!

GAG ME WITH A MANURE FORK!

DOC HARRIS

DON'T GET ME STARTED!

DOC HARRIS":4mfsoyad said:
tom4018":4mfsoyad said:
MikeC":4mfsoyad said:

Tom-

I will have to differ with you a little bit, even though your comment about a live calf being the first goal has merit. In my opinion, the genetic and phenotypic qualities of a calf must take precedence over JUST a 'live' calf. We have wa-a-ay over TOO many 'live calves' that should not even be alive! That is why the general overall quality of the nation's beef herd is questionable at best. I know that my stance is picky, and could be considered argumentative, and I don't mean to be argumentative, because there is NO argument about it. The general level of quality of the Beef Cattle Herds of America should be 66% HIGHER genetically and phenotypically than they are, and the Breeders and Producers having their FIRST priority as 'live calves' without a positive thought as to their quality, is "JOB ONE" in overcoming that situation.

I don't DISagree with the other factors mentioned here, but QUALITY stands first in line! I watched a few Superior Auction sales this last week, and the quality being displayed there and touted as "- - -as fine a bunch of cattle as - -blah - -blah - -blah " almost made me sick. Most of them had "FUNNEL BUTTS" so bad they could barely walk. - - - -and unknowing beeders just fell over themselves bidding three to five thousand dollars for stuff that should have been already hanging on a rail!

DOC HARRIS

DON'T GET ME STARTED!

Sorry to stress the live calf part, as I agree there are a lot of low quality cattle out there. One reason to ask the thoughts of others if so they can see her faults and make suggestions to improve upon them. I feel others can look upon a cow with a fresh mind where as the owner sometimes is afraid to admit the faults of his own cows.

tom4018":5cyvdcmt said:
DOC HARRIS":5cyvdcmt said:
tom4018":5cyvdcmt said:
MikeC":5cyvdcmt said:

Tom-

DOC HARRIS

DON'T GET ME STARTED!

Sorry to stress the live calf part, as I agree there are a lot of low quality cattle out there. One reason to ask the thoughts of others if so they can see her faults and make suggestions to improve upon them. I feel others can look upon a cow with a fresh mind where as the owner sometimes is afraid to admit the faults of his own cows.

Doc most of the time I agree with you...

But the "We have wa-a-ay over TOO many 'live calves' that should not even be alive!" is over the top.
I agree that type of thinking works at the U.

But here in the real world there can never be to many live calves. NEVER.

I will trade live over perfect anyday.

MD

There are many calving ease bulls that will give you a "quality" calf. Let us know what you decide.

I am in agreement with Red. I don't give a rip what kind of calf a 2 year old heifer has as long as she has it unassisted, the calf is born alive, and she can raise it to 400 pounds or more. THAT said (especially in Angus) it does seem like "heifer bulls" are getting used on a lot of mature cows that could easily have handled a little higher birth weight and produced a more phenotypically correct calf.

We have a heifer bull, not registered, that has Ribstone 15K on one side,(Sorry if I got his number and letter wrong.)
He has done real well for us throwing a nice light birth weight calves.

Find a bull that is proven calving ease with traits that complement your animal and PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE remember that a "live calf" is SINGLE TRAIT SELECTION and that takes you absolutely nowhere when it comes to beef cattle improvement.

capt

capt":w5zj23ko said:
Find a bull that is proven calving ease with traits that complement your animal and PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE remember that a "live calf" is SINGLE TRAIT SELECTION and that takes you absolutely nowhere when it comes to beef cattle improvement.

capt

Single Trait Selection,... but the single most important trait for first time heifers!

Trying to put everything into one package is what gets most breeders in trouble. Many kids want a shot at a second show calf and I can't fault them, but teaching them to sacrifice production over quality (if you call a show calf quality) in the first calf breaks the link in the chain. 50% of first time calves are bulls....who will more then likely "not" make a herd sire due to growth from being small and being from first time mothers, or just breeders not wanting or needing a herd bull,..especially from a heifer. More then 50% of first time registered calves go to the sale barn, and 80% of the commercial calves go. The idea is to get the cow in production. She is your asset, the calf is only profit at this point.

I would hope that choosing a sire from a company like ABS and Genex would speak for the quality end any way, so the low BW would be the priority here.

Latest posts