Need help choosing Hereford AI sire

Help Support CattleToday:

I find the whole concept of a calving ease bull for a heifer being considered "single trait selection" as being idiotic. If you use a jersey or longhorn just to freshen a heifer, that would be single trait selection. There are plenty of calving ease bulls that will give you growth and muscle but too much growth and the heifer may not be able to provide the nutrition for the genetic ability to be met and her breed back unless she's supplemented.

Absolutely Dun,

I was thinking of the Dairy business myself and how it is important for them to get a easy calf with little stress out of their heifers so they can get them in production.

Registered breeders view it differently and look a little more closely at genetic potential (which is good), but I would be willing to bet that most commercial outfits will consider the smaller calf for the first time more practical, and ecomomical acrosos the board. Let the cow raise what might be a good or not so good calf. Hopefully your 50% genetic cow base, which should exhibit the traits you already want, will have the influance you are looking for besides the BW.