Need Help asap

Help Support CattleToday:

shadyhollownj

Reaction score
Ok so checked the calf that had joint ill cause he wouldnt get up. 104.4 TEMP. I gotta bring him up to house and give banamine and nuflor. Anything would be helpful.

So got him up to the house. Gave him 2cc of banamine and 3 cc nuflor. I dont get it though. He was up eating and being his normal lethargic self. He has never been that playful since two weeks of antibiotics. Figured I should go out to check him now and good thing I did. I am thinking its pneumonia. I'm sure his immune system is out of whack and it doesnt help it was 75 yesterday and its ten tonight. I have to say now that he is in the dogs room/ laundry he is doesnt want any parts of laying down.

Nite Hawk":gd5hldtu said:
After 2 weeks of antibiotics it wouldn't hurt to give him some pro-biotics/ yogurt/ or sour milk to get his stomach rolling again..
good advice......

Yeah he has been getting them. Got up to check him his temp is down to 102.4. He doesnt seem to be laboring to breathe anymore. Tried to kick me when I took his temp so thats good. Wifes at work so when she gets home in the a.m. she can listen to his lungs. Could it be a relapse from joint ill with no swollen joints or naval?

Temp is normal at 102.1. Fought me to the death on the lead bring him back out to momma. Nursing fine. We will see again.

Vet really didnt have much to say today. He said after the nuflor we could try draxxin I think. I know Ive read something about that before. Still curious if anyone thinks its the joint ill making a comeback? Am I on timeout cause of my bean post a few days ago?

shadyhollownj":35jvnrff said:
Vet really didnt have much to say today. He said after the nuflor we could try draxxin I think. I know Ive read something about that before. Still curious if anyone thinks its the joint ill making a comeback? Am I on timeout cause of my bean post a few days ago?
I have not been on here long enough to be sure but I dont think anyone on your bean thread deals much with health issues except Larry so you are not on timeout. I read your first thread on this calf and the only thing you have left to give him is the kitchen sink. I think that people (myself included) have read this calf saga and are at a loss as to how to help you anymore. But it is not because we dont want to we just dont know how to.

It was a joke the timeout thing. I was only kidding. Jed have you used drax before I never have. I may just use the bullet on me after this calf.

I read a little on the drax is it really for something like naval ill. I dont know. I dont really have an answer like everyone else. I mean his joint wasnt swollen after like three days and we treated when he was less than two days old. Every post I read was for a calf that had it for days or weeks and joint and naval were swollen for a while. His joint and naval have been fine. I mean he was lathargic after all the meds then a fever and down hill again. I wonder if it was really naval ill and he just didnt get hurt hanging out of her for that 1-2 minutes. I feel like all the past posts the joint is really swollen has to be cleaned and the calf cant walk. This is when a good experienced large animal vet would help. Too bad that doesnt exist in new jersey. Star lake is gonna haunt me for a little longer.

So talked to my vet not the one on call yesterday. He said to give nuflor three times. 3 IM, 6SQ, 6SQ every other day. So basically the same thing we did before except an extra dose. So that should keep in his system for 8 days and that should knock out any residual infection in the body. Temp is still normal and acting ok. Hopefully it works and this post can be used by others in the future.

Latest posts