need freezing water ideas

Help Support CattleToday:

susiq

Reaction score
Rather than to connect and disconnect hoses all winter long there has to be an idea out there that works to cover up, wrap up, or something up the short black hoses and automatic water shut offs at each water tank. We have an underground pipe that our pipe and faucet are connected to. I am sure my husband could use the correct terminalogy but hopefully you understand what I am asking.

I keep saying there has to be a better way. Is there?

If you have electricity available, use heat tape (inexpensive) or one of those heated waterers (expensive). If not, your options are limited. Where are you located and how cold do the winters get where you are?

Keeping the water trickling will keep them open. An overflow pipe in the waterer will do it if you set the intake low enough

Dun, you are close to where I live so you know the weather.
I like your idea. I'll pass that on to the other half and see what he can do with it. Have you every done this?

Most of our tanks are not close to electricity. Have you every tried any of the wraps not electric?

susiq":35gvvcy9 said:
Dun, you are close to where I live so you know the weather.
I like your idea. I'll pass that on to the other half and see what he can do with it. Have you every done this?

Most of our tanks are not close to electricity. Have you every tried any of the wraps not electric?

I tried just insulating the wnot out of them, they still froze. We have one freeze proof waterer that has a trickler that squirts water into the drinking area with an overflow that runs out and down a holler. We have another one that I've never set up that works the same way basicly except it has a thermostat controlled vlave that opens the trickler. All of our others that we use during the winter are the concrete bury in the ground type. I don;t worry as much about the cows having to walk a ways to get water in the winter like I do in the summer.

How we manage is we use a short hose from the freeze proof hydrant and when we are done filling the water, we stretch it out down hill and it drains. Then it's clear for the next time you use it. Not really the most convenient method, but it works.

Howdy,
Freeze proof hydrant with a 3' length of hose, quick disconnect brass coupler. Turn off hydrant, disconnect coupler, short section of hose drains.

Earth thermal = ball waterers, many brands out there, they use the earth's warmth to keep from freezing. Cows like them in the summer too , since it keeps the water cool.

Latest posts