Need Calf DX

Help Support CattleToday:

R.A.Y.

Reaction score
We had a calf die the other day, and I was hoping that someone out there would have some idea of what happened. [Yes, we called the vet, did everything we were told, but that did not get us any answers].

The calf was about 4 months old, 300# or so. We had him at the house due to his momma being old and needing some hand feeding, so we looked at him every day. One day he acted like he didn't feel good, just laid around. The next day he was SICK. We gave Nuflor IM and Banamine after we temped him. 102 degrees. We tube fed him a bottle, thinking he might be dehydrated, hypoglycemic.... That night he was having convulsions, pulling his head up over his back until it was almost touching his back. He died after several hours.

I've seen lots of calves get sick and die, but never anything like this. Any ideas?

We have mineral with Magnesium available at all times, with freefeed of good quality hay, in a pasture with some Rye [not much, its early]. He was in good shape, with healthy coat. Wasn't off feed until the last 2 days, and still on his momma. She is old, and has worn out teeth, but is still in pretty good condition.......

Vague is pretty much all we have to go on!

It may be too late, but the onlyu way to know for sure (possibly for sure anyway) is a necropsy.

dun

The part about the head being laid back is a telling symptom, I had that happen once before and the vet told me exactly what caused it, but darn if I cant remember right now...I do have a call into the vet waiting for a return call, cus now I am curious as well. I will post his reply.

Just a quick question, when you tubed him, are you sure you got it far enough in so that the lungs didn't fill up full of fluid?

I have seen people tube calves and accidently fill the lungs, the calf will seizure like you are talking about because they are suffocating or drowning.

My husband tubes the calves, and has done so without prob for years, so don't think the calf drowned, besides the calf died around 8 hours after the tubing. No vocalizations, and yeah, I had thought of meningitis, and that led me to looking on the computer, which led me to this forum!~ Thanks for all the thinking! R