Need Baby Food Ideas

Help Support CattleToday:

CottageFarm

Reaction score
I'm putting together a Christmas basket for our neice & her husband who have a new baby girl ( 4 months) and thought some homemade baby food would make a good addition. Problem is, I'm not sure what to make. Doctors are alot fussier about babies first foods than they used to be and I know there's lots of things they say not to give them til they're certain ages. I have the equipment to can just about anything so there's no real limitations.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

CottageFarm":3k1hyxpe said:
I'm putting together a Christmas basket for our neice & her husband who have a new baby girl ( 4 months) and thought some homemade baby food would make a good addition. Problem is, I'm not sure what to make. Doctors are alot fussier about babies first foods than they used to be and I know there's lots of things they say not to give them til they're certain ages. I have the equipment to can just about anything so there's no real limitations.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

My first thought would be "Stop and take a big deep breath and then think about how much responsibility you are about to take on".

I appreciate your concern 3way. I do alot of canning, and food safety is always, always, always #1 priority.
I cut no corners and take no chances. But, thank you for your concern for my Grandniece!

CottageFarm":267nu831 said:
I appreciate your concern 3way. I do alot of canning, and food safety is always, always, always #1 priority.
I cut no corners and take no chances. But, thank you for your concern for my Grandniece!

My concern is as much for you as the neice. I work in the food industry and with all the safeguards in place there are still accidents every day and constant recalls.

Please think about how you would feel if that baby got sick from somethng you canned!

I'm sorry cottage, but I'm in complete agreement with 3way, with the way doctors preach allergies and other precautions, on top of other concerned family members. I'm betting the canned food comes with a hug and big thank you then sits on the self until it's been long enough to toss it out. I think back to when my oldest granddaughter was a few months old and I tried to slip a little whipped cream, my DIL (very nicely and comely) said no dairy products grandpa until she gets to be a year. My son smiled and said mash potatoes are fine grandpa. I love the sound of grandpa gave her a little mashed tators and learned to ask mama before I offered the girls something.

BTW, now that the girls are 5 and 7, it's grandpa that says let's have some mashed tators and gravy and a little less whip cream or grandmas cookies, or candy in grandpa's shirt pocket.... Although they get plenty anyway.

Good safe gifts are the ones that the parents grow to hate buying, such as diapers, parent approved formula, Gerbers baby food. And because my wife and I raised 4 kids diapers and more diapers, it seemed we I mean I was always going to the store for diapers and all on a young families budget.

JMO and :2cents:

I really do appreciate the concerns expressed. I guess I should have included a bit more info.
I helped my Neice can baby foods for her last child as well, at her request. She likes knowing what she's feeding her family and she's an RN as well, so she's quite familiar with food bourne bacterias and food safety. She knows my procedures are strictly by the book and safety 1st.
Again, Thank you so much for your concerns! I would probably tell most people the same thing.

She told me at that time the foods that were okay before 1 yr but the only thing I can remember is no strawberries or honey. We only canned fruit sauces for her son's early foods, and I'll probably stick with fruits again this time, too. I know pears and apples are fine, but couldn't remember about peaches, plums or cranberries. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

CF, I read that list of things to avoid for fear of causing food allergies, but cannot find it back. I do remember nothing with a wheat base (or anything with gluten). Also, find out if either parents have food allergies and what they are, avoid those too because apparently those can be passed on. Sounds odd, but makes sense bcuz my only known allergy is something my dad is allergic to.

Cottage Farm, how about these....Yams or sweet potatoes, green beans, squash. Your right about no honey. I started using solids at around 4 months I think and I used a ricer to mush up the stuff and than globbed it on a cookie sheet to freeze. I would think any or almost all vegies or fruits that you can, would work, just make them mushy first. Oh, and stay away from stuff like broccoli, gives them a stomach ache.

Sweet potatoes, hubbard or butternut squash, pumpkin, beets, carrots, apples, pears, peaches, plums, anything that makes a nice smooth puree and is easily digestible. Assume you cook and puree it first, then process in a pressure canner to preserve? How do you find jars small enough? Seems like cauliflour, broccoli, anything in the cole family would be too hard to digest for a little one. Spinach, kale or other greens seems like it would be hard to get a smooth enough puree but they sure are nutritious.

If you are an experienced canner and know the current safety guidelines, and if the mom is on board with the concept, it should be a real time and money saver for their family.

Latest posts