Need advise ASAP

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Hey guys I've got a problem and it seems to be escalating. Last Thursday I found a cow down in my corral near the fence. She was unable to rise. She acted alert but had no strength to lift herself, legs would shake and quiver. At first I thought hypoKalemia. We ran blood only to find out that her potassium was fine even a bit on the high side and magnesium was low. For 3 days I did everything imaginable to help her. Fluids, b vitamins, Cal M P K drench, but alas she was put down Monday morning.

The next day I witnessed one of my bigger cows t bone a smaller cow against the fence and down she went with similar symptoms. For twenty minutes we tried to lift her up and finally got her up to have her trot over to some hay and eat. She didn't miss a meal that night but early this morning we found her down, with the same symptoms as the other cow.

Can anyone give me some insight to what they think is going on.

Sounds like possible grass tetany-- extremely low magnesium- but think it is a bit unusual for this time of year.
Grass tetany usually happens when there is a high volume of fertilizer, and lots of heavy rain which causes the grass to grow so fast the magnesium isn't pulled out of the soil fast enough and the grass is deficient.More common in the spring than fall.
I used to know a dairy farmer years ago that had all of his cows go down one spring with grass tetany within a short time frame, but he managed to save them all.
Hope you find out the problem..

Nite Hawk":1hncpf52 said:
Sounds like possible grass tetany-- extremely low magnesium- but think it is a bit unusual for this time of year.
Grass tetany usually happens when there is a high volume of fertilizer, and lots of heavy rain which causes the grass to grow so fast the magnesium isn't pulled out of the soil fast enough and the grass is deficient.More common in the spring than fall.
I used to know a dairy farmer years ago that had all of his cows go down one spring with grass tetany within a short time frame, but he managed to save them all.
Hope you find out the problem..
Could be, but I think they already identified the problem from the original post. A mean cow.

Last Thursday I found a cow down in my corral near the fence. She was unable to rise. ....

The next day I witnessed one of my bigger cows t bone a smaller cow against the fence and down she went with similar symptoms.

Latest posts