Need advice

Help Support CattleToday:

poiu

Reaction score
Hello. My wife and I bought a horse and we have been told that it is not good to keep him alone in his pasture. We do raise some beef cattle and I wondered if I put one of my older cows in with him if she and her calf would serve as good enough companionship to keep him happy? He was around the cattle when we first got him and he seemed to like them alright.

poiu":1876e4xm said:
Hello. My wife and I bought a horse and we have been told that it is not good to keep him alone in his pasture. We do raise some beef cattle and I wondered if I put one of my older cows in with him if she and her calf would serve as good enough companionship to keep him happy? He was around the cattle when we first got him and he seemed to like them alright.
you can try putting a cow in with him.but most horses will end up chasing cows.an id be afraid he would hurt the cow or calf.now if you really want a pasture buddy id get a donkey.then the horse will have a buddy.an id get a jenny.

Thank you for the advice. I guess by rights I should just get another horse but for now one hay burner is enough! :lol: I do have a ram maybe it would be better to put him in with the horse insted of a cow/calf.

I've had horses for years, and never had a problem with one being by itself... especially if it was kept alone when you got it?

I would NOT put cows in with the horse, as stated before, you run the risk of the horse running and hurting the cow / calf.

poiu":1qic0yb2 said:

We've always had multiple horses, but put them in seperate pastures with absolutely no problems. Some horses are fine to turn out with cattle, but I would never turn a horse out with my cattle - too many problems can arise and, by the time you find out a particular horse is not good with cattle, the damage has been done.

we've got two different places that we run cows and have a mare at each place. we've had no problems with them. a stud on the other hand was a problem.

We have cows and horses and they just don't seem to mix well. The horses won't let the cows feed when they are all together. We sometimes have to put them all together while one side of the pasture is re-furbishing itself. During that time the cows don't have a chance at the feed troughs. :(

It sounds like the cow/calf idea is out! I will try the ram he is a small one (shetland) but he is with the cattle now and bosses them around like he owns the place (even the bull :shock: ). Do you think he would hurt the horse by raming him? I have a feeling that one good kick from the horse would take care of that.

P.S. I did try to post this on the Horsepages before coming here but they did not seem to be working.

I agree on the goat. We used to do that on the racetrack when we had a horse that didn't take the stall too well. Gave them a goat for a buddy, and everybody was happy. By the way the old wives tale was the goat kept them from getting distemper.

horse's and cattle together aint a good idea .this drought forced me to keep mine together this year for a period, during the spring growth season. but horse's will run a cow through are over a fence. hog em out of shade and water kick em. i know of a instance where a stud horse mounted some gerts and yanked their uterus plumb out.. just aint good practice

We pasture our horses and cows together and don't ever have any problems. We even will put our cutting horses in with them with no problems. We don't put them together in the lot over the winter. We separate them into separate lots because the horses won't let the cows eat. It all depends on the horse whether you can put them together or not. Horses are herd animals and they should have a friend even if it's a goat, cattle, donkey, etc.

Our horses don't necessarily try to hurt the cows, but if grain is involved the cows lose!! I use to have some goats and I had one horse that absoluterly hates them. He bit them, kicked them anything he could to get them to stay away from him.