need advice

Help Support CattleToday:

kenojoe

Reaction score
This is a bit off topic but here goes. I wrecked my tractor including the frontend loader. I have made all repairs to the tractor but the loader is a mess. Have found a local shop that will fix it for $2000. Tractor is insured for $7500. Insurance Co. says loader is only worth $1000. They could find no "like" replacement nor another shop that would bid to fix it. I think I have a right to the tractor put back the way it was, No better no worse. Have any of you had a similar run in with your insurance co. What options do I have? What would you do? I have never had a claim in 30 years and didn't dream I would have a problem. Besides changing companies after I'm done what else can I do. Thanks for any advice you can give. Joe

kenojoe":e9zv43e7 said:
This is a bit off topic but here goes. I wrecked my tractor including the frontend loader. I have made all repairs to the tractor but the loader is a mess. Have found a local shop that will fix it for $2000. Tractor is insured for $7500. Insurance Co. says loader is only worth $1000. They could find no "like" replacement nor another shop that would bid to fix it. I think I have a right to the tractor put back the way it was, No better no worse. Have any of you had a similar run in with your insurance co. What options do I have? What would you do? I have never had a claim in 30 years and didn't dream I would have a problem. Besides changing companies after I'm done what else can I do. Thanks for any advice you can give. Joe

Options available:

Gonna' get your goat with some comments so please forgive me in advance.

1. Do nothing - the worst option.

2. Take the $1000 and add your own $1000 to fix at machine shop

3. Take them to court - you lose both ways to Sunday

4. Leave them for another company - they do not care - you are a single client and therefore probably small potatoes anyway.

Not too many other options available. Either way, you are in for a fight if you buck them - have the time and the money - or do you want to go on your principles?

Either way it costs YOU.

Now, who cares how long you have been with them. You are a number and your agent may be a nice guy/gal but they have less control than you think.

When was the last time you actually sat down with your agent - and a couple of others as well - to seriously - and I mean seriously - discuss your coverage and your options in event of an accident or incident? If you are like most, it was likely many years ago. If ever.

If you did this, did you do like most of us and go with the best price? Probably.

Did you discuss replacement cost / value? Probably not.

Did you really read the policy you were given, or did you just sign, present a cheque and file the policy? I know what the answer is and most likely so do you. Not to be annoyed at this - most of us do the same thing.

Sometimes bargain shopping - and we are all guilty of it - gets us what we actually buy - but we go cheap and complain when we get bitten. Not saying you did this, but if you are a normal person, you probably came at least close to doing this.

In future when buying insursance the following is what I believe is the best way to go:

1. A minimum of 5 detailed quotes.

2. A plain language contract - most majors have them.

3. A detailed written explanation of what is considered "repair and/or replacement value".

4. A farm visit - no office visits. Want my business - YOU come to me. I want you to be able to find me in the middle of the night if I need you.

5. A spread sheet showing pluses and minuses of each proposed plan in order to really understand what it is you are buying.

There are other things that I have likely missed - but one is buying protection not only for the farm, but for the family and our livlihood.

Price is the last thing I look at - because it is the quality of the contract that is important to me.

I got bitten once myself - what I have presented above is the process I now go through every year - I do not believe I can afford not to.

Hope you get things settled in your favour - let us know the outcome,

Bez'

Thanks for some good advice. You are correct on most all points. I have decided to file a formal written complaint with the state office of insurance and hire a lawyer. I may well come out on the short end of the stick but its the priciple of the thing! If you roll over and take it, you get what you deserve.

Bez. thanks again for the good advice. Just talked to the agent and the outcome stinks. We will give you $1000 for the loader take it or leave it. Called a lawyer, said he would look at the policy but thinks it would be foolish to challange them. Filed a complaint with the state office of insurance and wrote a letter to the corporate office outlining my plight. All I wanted was to have my tractor put back the way it was. No way $1000 will put a loader back on my tractor. I guess I was ignorant to think insurance would help me when I needed it. I have done all I can do. I will follow your advice to a T and find another company. You really do get what you pay for! Joe

now this is me.id pull the wrecked frontend loader off the tractor.an junk it.b/c you can spend $2000 to fix it.an then it may not work worth a darn.best thng todo is to buy a used loader an put it on your tractor.less headaches.if the loader frame is warped your sunk anyway.it wouldbr work right.scott

kenojoe":re5iio5f said:
Bez. thanks again for the good advice. Just talked to the agent and the outcome stinks. We will give you $1000 for the loader take it or leave it. Called a lawyer, said he would look at the policy but thinks it would be foolish to challange them. Filed a complaint with the state office of insurance and wrote a letter to the corporate office outlining my plight. All I wanted was to have my tractor put back the way it was. No way $1000 will put a loader back on my tractor. I guess I was ignorant to think insurance would help me when I needed it. I have done all I can do. I will follow your advice to a T and find another company. You really do get what you pay for! Joe
Check out Farm Bureau Insurance. Not the cheapest, but IMHO, the best. Especially when it comes to an Equipment loss.

Latest posts