Need advice on purchasing livestock insurance

Help Support CattleToday:

tenacres

Reaction score
We looking into getting some livestock insurance and I would like to get some feedback. We've never purchased it before and would rather not pay for "extras" that arent necessary. What do I really NEED for coverage?

Thanks in advance.

All I have ever bought is mortality insurance for trips and such.

Check out American Livestock Insurance.

You have to proof of value on an animal before they will insure it.

MikeC":3iii965j said:
All I have ever bought is mortality insurance for trips and such.

Check out American Livestock Insurance.

You have to proof of value on an animal before they will insure it.

we've used harding & harding (american livestock insurance) as well to cover animals on their trip home from sales. fortunately for us, we've never had anything happen to any of the animals so i can't tell you how easy or difficult they are to deal with when handling claims.

here's the website:

http://www.amlivestock.com

Mr Jerry Gay of Harding and Harding is the nicest man you'll ever meet. A prince of a gentleman.

I couldnt tell you about insurance for your herd, but I could give you some info on show animal insurance. I have my 2 show animals insured for 2000 for the bull and 2500 for the heifer (of course, value goes up as they show more and get older) and I had to pay about 250 for a year for both of them. I went through Howard Miller of ALI in Fort Worth. They did have plans for herds, but since I dont have a herd I didnt look at that.

I just bought a policy through a local company on my 6 heifers that covers each for the current market price. They are covered if they die from the result of a natural disaster, including wind, fire, flood, lightning and such. I also bought a seperate liability policy on them that if they get out on the road and someone hits them, it would cover the motorists bills. Kind of like liability insurance on your car, it covers the other guy, but not the loss of your property. In today's sue happy world, I figured for $7 a year, it's a good investment, especially since we own about a mile and half of road frontage.

El Putzo
I was just wondering if the 7$ you mentioned was the total price of the policies that you mentioned or if that was per animal? If that was the total price, would you mind telling me who your insurance company is, I need to send them some business!
Thank You
cfpinz

Medic24":1crtlduh said:
I got it as well, and have had a clain already this year. Well worth it for us. Through local farm bur. insurance
We are covered by Farm Bureau too. Have a complete policy, liability, livestock,equipment,structures, etc.. Good company. Not the cheapest, but the best in my opinion.

I agree that Farm Bureau caters to the farmer/rancher. Reasonable "farm policies" for home and land which include liability for the cow that wanders up to the road and gets hit, as well as decent "loss" policies for livestock for reasonable prices (like $8 premium per $1000 worth of livestock insured). Good, and reasonably priced policies on equipment/implements also, that cover loss and liability if your tractor falls off of a trailer, etc.

American National in the past few years has gotten very aggresive with their farm insurance program. More coverage, lower premiums then Farm Bureau and from what I've heard easier to deal with.

dun

One outfit that has lost a lot of customers here is State Farm. The Homeowners/Farm policies are way overpriced.Even if you use the "incidental farming" clause in the policy.I think they serve the public better with auto insurance.Not Ag related policies.

I agree about State Farm, they canceled our farm policy because we had too much land - same amount as when we took out the policy several years earlier. Also, had too much income - HA what a laugh that is. I also think they didn't like getting into covering the individual cattle.

Good riddins we are with Farm Bureau.

Billy

They did the same thing to us! I had been with them since I was old enough to drive.So much for loyalty to their policy holders. I was happy to leave them. They sometimes have the nerve to send me offers to come back.A couple of area agents were getting too fat anyway.Driving Mercedes long enough to fit in an airplane hangar.And one other thing...they said my Rotweiler was a dangerous Dog, because she barked at a man they sent out to do a survey on out buildings.She couldn't beat her way out her own shadow.

Latest posts