Need a suggestion.

Help Support CattleToday:

sim.-ang.king

Reaction score
I need a suggestion on a good, quick scour preventer to use on new born calves. I did see once a tube of some kind of product (can't remember the name now) that said to give to calves once with 48 hours of calving to help prevent scours? But it might of been the colosturm booster stuff i'm thinking of.
Well anyways could you give me some ideals of meds I could use?
Thanks for any help.

Aaron I took a look into it and one thing I read said "Feed the calf colostrum at birth" do I have to give them colostrum after the shot or just let him have at it with mama?

sim.-ang.king":36dwjxn7 said:
Aaron I took a look into it and one thing I read said "Feed the calf colostrum at birth" do I have to give them colostrum after the shot or just let him have at it with mama?

That's said in case the producer believes the shot is all the calf needs for immunity. Colostrum is more important than the shot, but administer Calf Guard orally within 1-2 hours of birth.

We give Calf Guard as well.... no scour problems since ..except for possible milk scoots from rich milking moms. No antibiotics are given with vaccines unless absolutely necessary. (Was told antibiotics given with vaccines was detrimental to the vaccines affects)
Valerie

Latest posts