NCBA Embezzlement shoved under the Table

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
I have to agree that this needs to be investigated back to day one of NCBA's involvement with misuse of the Beef Checkoff funds- and that NCBA shouldn't be allowed to just pay back what they got caught stealing and walk away without even a handslap...

I've been saying for years this has been happening- and know it was going on long before the looked at years...And its too bad they didn't do a complete forensic audit of NCBA's activities with the Checkoff- or I'm sure the amount for even those 2 years would be much higher...

NCBA- thru their antics- years ago lost all credibility with me- but this sure puts another very dark stain on the credibility of the CBB and the Checkoff program (which I believe could be a good program with removal of NCBA's control) ....

Compliance Review of NCBA Completed

California Farmer, Jan 17, 2011

Following a third party review, the National Cattlemen's Beef Association has agreed to repay the Cattlemen's Beef Board nearly $217,000 to clear up spending discrepancies and accounting errors that occurred during fiscal years 2008 and 2009, and the first five months of fiscal 2010 .

January 17, 2011

USDA, Justice Urged to Reject NCBA Ploy to Deflect Charges

of Misuse of Beef Checkoff Funds; Full Investigation Requested

Washington, D.C. – Today, R-CALF USA sent a formal request to the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and the U.S. Department of Justice (Justice) to request that a proposed resolution between the Cattlemen's Beef Board (CBB) and the National Cattlemen's Beef Association (NCBA) that is designed to absolve NCBA of its misuse of Beef Checkoff (Checkoff) dollars be rejected. Further, R-CALF USA requested that NCBA's contract with CBB be suspended, pending a full and complete investigation into NCBA's misuse of Checkoff money.

CBB and NCBA have apparently agreed to an arrangement in which NCBA would pay CBB $216,944 for its improprieties initially identified by Clifton Gunderson in a July 2010 compliance review. Both organizations are asking USDA's Agricultural Marketing Service (AMS) to approve this agreement. The compliance review covered only a sample of actual financial transactions.

"NCBA's improper expenditures of $216, 944 are intolerable, and these serious violations represent not only disrespect and disdain by NCBA for its legal obligations to the Checkoff, but also to the hundreds of thousands of independent U.S. cattle producers required to pay into the Checkoff," said R-CALF USA Checkoff Committee Chair Joel Gill. "Many cattle producers believe USDA is subsidizing NCBA's political and policy agenda with Checkoff dollars. There are deep concerns that CBB has decided not to demand reimbursement for NCBA policy activities within its final resolution, even when all expenses were found to have been charged to the Checkoff."

In documents that support the agreement between CBB and NCBA, CBB identifies NCBA actions that violate the Beef Promotion and Research Act of 1985 (the Act), the Beef Promotion and Research Order (the Order), and the contract between NCBA and the Beef Promotion Operating Committee (BPOC). The documents reveal that NCBA used thousands of Checkoff dollars to: 1) pay legal fees to maintain NCBA; 2) pay NCBA's credit card fees; 3) pay employee's time for non-Checkoff activities; 4) pay for employees to participate in NCBA's charity golf tournament; 5) pay for spouses' travel; 6) pay for meetings, travel, and speaker costs for non-Checkoff activities; and, 7) pay for expenses incurred by NCBA's policy division, which is the non-Checkoff division that advances the organization's political and policy objectives.

"If AMS approves the joint agreement between CBB and NCBA, it would confirm concerns that subsidization is ongoing and would make it appear that NCBA's repayment of $216,944 for its misuse of Checkoff funds was actually a no-interest bearing loan to NCBA by the Checkoff for NCBA's several improper expenditures," Gill pointed out.

"NCBA has violated the trust of every U.S. cattle producer required to pay into the Checkoff by committing numerous wrongful and unlawful acts of charging the Checkoff for improper and ineligible activities, and we urge USDA and Justice to immediately suspend NCBA's eligibility to contract with CBB until a comprehensive investigation has been conducted and the findings reviewed," he emphasized.

I don't doubt it, but where did you get your info? Do you have a link to the article?

Im kinda proud, Nebraska producers elected two stounch R-Calf supporters to the Nebraska Beef Council. The one is from my district! Hopefully it isn't like congress and just make grid lock.

This is a form that you can send to Mr. Vilsak if you so desire. I don't have an email for him, but I did send it to my senators and congressman.

My name is ________________ and I am a cattle producer required to pay into the beef checkoff program. I am angry (and/or outraged) that USDA has decided to sweep NCBA's misuse of $217,000 of my beef checkoff dollars under the rug. The NCBA has been caught cheating and USDA must take immediate action to suspend NCBA's contract with the beef checkoff program and conduct a full investigation into how my beef checkoff dollars have been spent during the past 10 years.

Calls are best and, if possible, follow up with a short fax or letter. Here's who to contact:

The Honorable Tom Vilsack

Secretary of Agriculture

U.S. Department of Agriculture

1400 Independence Ave., S.W.

Washington, D.C. 20250

Phone: 202-720-3631

Fax: (202) 720-6314

Thank you Amo for the form letter.. I used it to develop a letter I sent to my Congressional delegation....
There is no doubt in my mind that if the USDA and Justice Department would go back thru 10 years- they will find Millions $ of cattle producers checkoff money that was used in illegal ways by NCBA..

I would like to see the whole story to that. The other side I had heard was a lot different then the R-Calf position. I read some of the positions that R-Calf wants and by far they seem to side more with big goverment control then the NCBA. I think a lot of people have resentment to the NCBA because they are tied into this goverment mandated Beef Checkoff program which many of us disagree with but R-Calf wants to lobby for a lot of legislation to curb free marketing by controlling and regulating prices by setting a ceiling on speculation and stop free trade with our number one and two trading partners, Mexico and Canada, this by far is way worse for the cattle industry then a couple hundred grand that may have been shuffled into some wrong departments and was paid back. Either way I don't know the whole story but when one side is presented I am always suspect. I hope R-Calf and NCBA are using some of their resources jointly to lobby for the common good of the cattle industry.

let us face the truth......
NCBA is a packer organization......
I don't rightly know what r-calf is but they seldom speak my thoughs on any topic.

the check off was a good thing when it started and did a lot of good. I still support it....

but someone other than NCBA needs to be running and managing it.

hayray":1wmk455p said:
The NCBA does not run the checkoff, the Cattlemans Beef Board which is appointed by the Secretary of Agriculture.

http://www.beefboard.org/about/faq_aboutbeefboard.asp

Are you saying that these 106 people need to go to jail as well because they allowed the NCBA to get away with this?

If the CBB is running it then how did NCBA get their hands on the money?

I was born at night but it was not last night.

there needs to be some old fashioned hangings got to some folks attention in this country.

I don't give a darn what time of day you where born. All as I am conveying is what I looked up on the Beef Check Off and it referred me to the Cattlemans Beef Board Website and nothing was mentioned on there about any other organization running the board except that they can contract with Beef councils and organizations so I would guess the board votes on how to allocate money. Maybe we should look at the whole story, no one really presented it so I will try to look it up.

Both side would be super. I do think R-Calf (which Im a member of instead of NCBA) does have a tendency to blow things out of proportion at times. They sent me that from letter and thought Id pass it along to anybody that wanted to use it. Not saying CBB did anything wrong, but if anything is in question it should be looked at.

I too think NCBA spends too much time in bed with the packers. Other than now, the best cattle prices we had in a huge ammount of time was when the boarder was closed, packer owned (captive supply) cattle couldn't come down here and influence the markets, and it was made and consumed in America. COOL was a nice idea. Really I guess I didn't think they were into making rules and regulations, just enforceing the ones we already have.

Guess thats kinda why I was glad to good R-Calf guys got elected to our state affilate of NCBA. I really think both side at times have good ideas. If they could work together I think stuff could get accomplished.

NCBA IS A PACKER ORGANIZATION AND HAS BEEN EVER SINCE NCA MERGED WITH WHAT EVER THE PACKER ORGANIZATION WAS TO FORM NCBA. THAT WAS WHEN I QUIT PAYING DUES.

What I heard about COOL is that our number one and two trading partners will retaliate against it and cause problems. One instance is that some American feeders get sold to Canada and then why can't they come back accross the boarder to be sold as fat cattle?

Well Pdf, after looking at your website and credentials I ain't gonna argue with you no more. You have a pretty slick operation there. I wanta use that spreadsheet for A.I. and synch. I also just am getting some acreage permitted for biosolids, see you do some of that also.

hayray....
you sir are a gentleman and a scholar.
double check what you get from the AI synchrony calculator.
I used it for a neighbor a few weeks ago and it at first gave me some weird results but then it corrected itself. I have not yet found the bug that caused the problem.

Latest posts