The Carbon Reduction of Bovine Flatulence Bandwagon

Help Support CattleToday:

Twisted

Reaction score
The carbon reduction bovine flatulence bandwagon is bound to hit home sometime in my lifetime. Have any of you Canada feedlot guys been adding Bovaer to your feed? How has this worked out in the bottom line. Any ill effects? I know it's just a matter of time before it is being force feed in the U.S.

I recently joined a bovine veterinarians FB group. Was surpised/confused/disturbed last night to see a post - almost certainly from a young, wet-behind-the-ears graduate - asking about 'animal welfare'-related management practices that could be instituted on dairy operations to reduce 'greenhouse gas' production.

I have no problem with the likes of Bovaer, CSIRO in Australia is doing a lot of work with it and it does seem to help to improve feed efficiency to some extent. Whether that efficiency will cover the cost of the product remains to be seen. carbon neutrality for beef cattle is a lot more important to us than it is to you as our exports make up a bigger %age of markets so we have to keep an eye on what the likes of the EU market is demanding and we don't have the clout that the US has to tell them to go jump, just look at the negotiations that Trump had with China and the EU to get bigger access to their markets with US imports of their manufactured products as a big stick to wield. Canada I would imagine is in a similar situation to us.

Ken

I recently joined a bovine veterinarians FB group. Was surpised/confused/disturbed last night to see a post - almost certainly from a young, wet-behind-the-ears graduate - asking about 'animal welfare'-related management practices that could be instituted on dairy operations to reduce 'greenhouse gas' production.
I am always amazed at the things the younger generations are concerned about relating to their preconceived notions of the rapidly dying earth brought on by every man but themselves.

I have no problem with the likes of Bovaer, CSIRO in Australia is doing a lot of work with it and it does seem to help to improve feed efficiency to some extent. Whether that efficiency will cover the cost of the product remains to be seen. carbon neutrality for beef cattle is a lot more important to us than it is to you as our exports make up a bigger %age of markets so we have to keep an eye on what the likes of the EU market is demanding and we don't have the clout that the US has to tell them to go jump, just look at the negotiations that Trump had with China and the EU to get bigger access to their markets with US imports of their manufactured products as a big stick to wield. Canada I would imagine is in a similar situation to us.

Ken
When you say, "they are working with it", are they implementing or experimenting. Has there been any governmental mandates? I am wondering how it could be implemented full scale. I don't see how it could be accept maybe at feedlots and diaries, all others would simply have to be on the honor system because there is no way to police the small guys.

I wonder if it would work on my dog, sometimes it gets rough in the cab of the truck when it's cold outside.
Which brings up a good point, why are all of these people always worried about the negative effects from livestock that feed people but not their little froo froo dogs that are worthless as tits on a hen. They're the same people that thinks it's okay to abort a baby because "it isn't a human" but are worried about animal welfare. Don't get me wrong, I don't believe in the mistreatment of animals either but also know that a baby in a woman's belly is a human and should be treated as such. I just seen a ultrasound of my grandaughter today, daughter in law is about 4 months along and there is no doubt that is a human, it has every human feature already.

When you say, "they are working with it", are they implementing or experimenting. Has there been any governmental mandates? I am wondering how it could be implemented full scale. I don't see how it could be accept maybe at feedlots and diaries, all others would simply have to be on the honor system because there is no way to police the small guys.
Both though I was confusing the work being done on Aspargopsis with that being done with Bovaer.

Ken

The dose of Bovaer for a cow is 1/4 teaspoon per day. How are ranchers supposed to give each bovine a 1/4t per day? With these RFID tags being requirement by the USDA and traced to the source it won't be long until the authorities show up saying your carbon footprint is too big.

Latest posts