Natural Heats versus Synchronization

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
Time goes by quickly. I am going into my 5th breeding season using 100 % AI. I have not had any open cow/heifers yet. So far I have used only natural heats to breed. I have had a few cases where I used a 7 day synchronization protocol when a cow failed to cycle.

This breeding season will begin Thanksgiving. I have 19 cows and 7 heifers to breed. I am thinking about starting the season with the 7 day CIDR, GnRH and Lutalyse protocol. On day one insert CIDR and administer GnRH. Seven days later, pull the CIDR and administer Prostaglandin. Then observe and breed on heat.

Ken, the wizened old vet from down under suggested that this might make sense. Who else thinks using synchronization might make for less effort and a tighter calving season?

TennesseeTuxedo said:
I'd use the Moo Monitor system. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

You think Brook would let me use his?

Actually, I would rather have a drone. Lol

The protocol you are going to use, is what we use. We set them up on Wed to breed on the tenth day a Saturday. We watch for early standing heats, sometimes they will start coming in on Friday and we breed them with that heat and then the rest will come in late Saturday morning and we breed them early evening.

The 7 day Co Sync is what we do also. First round we sync, breed any that come in then TAI the rest. Then next heat (natural) I check again and breed any who didn't take. Draw blood at 30 days and make a plan from there. Have worked very well for us over the years to keep a tight calving window. Very happy with it.

Ron, just keep in mind your physical capabilities of doing too many in one session. I think about 4/5 is my limit though I rarely get that amount to do at once. I synch about 8 at a time now and inseminate when showing oestrus and they are usually split up over 3/4 sessions am/pm.

Ken

wbvs58 said:
Ron, just keep in mind your physical capabilities of doing too many in one session. I think about 4/5 is my limit though I rarely get that amount to do at once. I synch about 8 at a time now and inseminate when showing oestrus and they are usually split up over 3/4 sessions am/pm.

Ken

Ken, my energy levels are not what they were when I was even 60. So I agree, I would not set up more than five. Thanks for your input. You and I do things very much the same.

if I was just gonna do 5 at a time, id just give PG to 10 day 1, then 10 more day 4 then finish day 7. That way they don't all come in at once, will be spread out, should get 60% to cycle, then the others natural in 10 days or so.
No doubt if it was me id do the full thing and get er done

bse said:
if I was just gonna do 5 at a time, id just give PG to 10 day 1, then 10 more day 4 then finish day 7. That way they don't all come in at once, will be spread out, should get 60% to cycle, then the others natural in 10 days or so.
No doubt if it was me id do the full thing and get er done

I think I will try to do them as a group and get it done. Be a very, very tight window.

I use the same process that CreekAngus uses. even if everything settles, your calving window may be spread out for 21 days (10 days early and 10 days past due date is common.) I occasionally have cows that return in heat the second time calf before a cow that settled on first breeding. That surprised me the most when I started synchronizing my herd. good luck.

NEFarmwife said:
Bright Raven said:
Who else thinks using synchronization might make for less effort and a tighter calving season?

Is this a trick question? Why would it not?

No, it was not intended to be a trick question. Some time ago, Ken suggested that it would save me time and effort to employ one of the synchronization protocols. Even though I have a very small herd and breeding on natural heats has served me well, he offered the opinion that synchronization would be a benefit.

As to why it may not be? I have used natural heats and the results have been excellent.

Bright Raven said:
NEFarmwife said:
Bright Raven said:
Who else thinks using synchronization might make for less effort and a tighter calving season?

No, it was not intended to be a trick question. Some time ago, Ken suggested that it would save me time and effort to employ one of the synchronization protocols. Even though I have a very small herd and breeding on natural heats has served me well, he offered the opinion that synchronization would be a benefit.

Any time you can knock them out... You'll save yourself time and effort. The money spent, is well spent.

NEFarmwife said:
Bright Raven said:
NEFarmwife said:

Any time you can knock them out... You'll save yourself time and effort. The money spent, is well spent.

Thanks. I agree. I have been well served by natural heat protocol but I sure might give the synchronization a try.

Bright Raven said:
NEFarmwife said:
Bright Raven said:

Thanks. I agree. I have been well served by natural heat protocol but I sure might give the synchronization a try.

You might have a better eye for natural heats than most. But I sure wouldn't want to babysit a herd like that, even of its size.

NEFarmwife said:
Bright Raven said:
NEFarmwife said:

You might have a better eye for natural heats than most. But I sure wouldn't want to babysit a herd like that, even of its size.

My circumstances are as follows:

I am getting to be a little old man. I live alone with two corgis. I am retired on a government pension. My cows are a source of great pleasure. I am here all day. Babysitting them is more rewarding than sitting in McDonald's with a bunch of little old men like myself. The point: I see everything my cows do. They cannot hide from a watchful eye.

NEFarmwife said:
Bright Raven said:
NEFarmwife said:

You might if that's all you had to do. :D

NEFarmwife would you recommend going with a 30 day protocol over the 7 day?

Seems I remember you had much better heats using the 30 day

Bright Raven said:
NEFarmwife said:
Bright Raven said:

I used to use the 10 day protocol, then switched to natural heats, now switched back to 10 day protocol. Watching for natural heats was a pain in the you know where. And we have cows calving all over the calendar. Going to stay with the protocol, less stressful for me and bunches them up into a specific window. We are shuffling some of our cows into a fall herd, since we missed their natural heats,but not a total screw up, I prefer fall calving in these parts.

kentuckyguy said:
NEFarmwife would you recommend going with a 30 day protocol over the 7 day?

Seems I remember you had much better heats using the 30 day

Highly. We had very good success with it. But I think with his size herd, I'd go the 7. He has a keen eye.

When we sync, we are syncing 100's at a time. We absolutely NEED a successful sync.