Calling all natural heat breeders

Help Support CattleToday:

Named'em Tamed'em said:
Put patches on them and if you can only check them twice a day (am/pm best) breed them when they show. Repatch when you breed, hit 'em again if patch shows. They say 70% of all heat activity comes between 6pm and 6am +/-.

I find a good stroll through the girls early every morning is well worth it. And it seems every group has a "horndog " , one that gets all worked up trying to ride 'em . I have Rosie, 100lbs. less weight than her sister but no body slips by in heat with out Rosie in tow :lol:
Any chance I can borrow Rosie?

CreekAngus said:
Named'em Tamed'em said:
Put patches on them and if you can only check them twice a day (am/pm best) breed them when they show. Repatch when you breed, hit 'em again if patch shows. They say 70% of all heat activity comes between 6pm and 6am +/-.

I find a good stroll through the girls early every morning is well worth it. And it seems every group has a "horndog " , one that gets all worked up trying to ride 'em . I have Rosie, 100lbs. less weight than her sister but no body slips by in heat with out Rosie in tow :lol:
Any chance I can borrow Rosie?
Haha, Rosie said she identifies as a steer. :help:

If you want to keep a tight calving window doing synched heat protocol is the way to go. We do 1 cycle of timed AI breeding then turn out with the bulls and anything that doesn't settle or we observe heat with the AI group usually settles to the herd bull on next heat cycle which keeps them in our range to synch up for another try at AI next breeding season. We start AI calving in late Feb and calve out the bulk of our natural sired calves in March and pull the bull from the pasture for latest birth date in mid May but usually are done by early to mid April. This year we have calved out all but 1 cow and she looks like she could calve any day now and just 2 years ago she was a late May calver so she had breed herself up at least 1 heat cycle each year the past 2 years.

What's the odds of getting one to stick 35-45 days post calving on natural heat? They are in pretty good condition. A few you can see a couple ribs, but majority or are in what I would consider ideal shape. Only have a handful of these later girls.

I have never cut a patch in half. Guess you could. Be sure to take the time to make sure they are really stuck. Also, NEVER delice or use pour-on dewormer when you use patches - they WILL come OFF!!!
If you pay attention, you usually will have a steer or bull calf that is ALWAYS around the hot ones.
If they are laying down, don't get them up right away. Observe for discharge 'puddle" behind them on the ground. They are generally pretty close if they do.
You have best conception on the 2nd heat, but I always breed on 1st heat if it's been at least 30 days.
I would patch all of them. In my herd yearlings generally have a 17-19 day cycle (18 average). Cows 20-22. Like Ron said, you will "learn" your cows behavior. When you have multiple cows in heat, watch the side line. Timid cows may be in heat, but are afraid to "butt" in. I quietly maneuver a hot cow over with the timid one and observe. You cannot chase them.
Remember, the one doing all the jumping may actually be the one standing!!!!

Latest posts