Name the Machine

Help Support CattleToday:

Just that it is a thresher. There is writing on the thresher next to the right knee of the gentleman standing on the bundles, but it doesn't stay clear when I zoom in.

When I saw the picture I did not know what it was until someone identified it on another forum. Of course, I am not in grain country. On that forum, they called it a Minneapolis Threshing Machine.

All I know is it took 9 men to man it. Today one man could do it all........wait self driving GPS combines equal zero manpower.

Before combines threshing time around here was kind of like branding time in big ranch country. Several neighbors around here bought a thresher together and they all helped each other get there grain harvested. You would take a team of horses and your muscles and go help the neighbor. When it was time to thresh your grain the neighbors did the same for you.
The wives put out a huge spread for dinner. Everyone worked hard and helped each other out.

sstterry said:
Can anyone name this machine?

The interesting thing about that picture is that they are blowing the straw into the loft. Some threshers just had a chain elevator, and piled it behind the machine.

Yep. It'd be nice to see something done with a cool piece of history like that/this.

sstterry said:

I spent the spring and early summer in Ohio working out of the Air Force base in Dayton. Made as many thresher and tractors shows as possible all very big and a lot of demonstrations. Below is a link to some of the shows with videos of some of the events.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=steam+threshers+greenville+ohio&qpvt=steam+threshers+greenville+ohio&FORM=VDRE

sstterry said:

Here are some short videos of a corn shredding machine. Bundles of corn that were gathered with a row binder and put into shocks in the field to cure. Then brought to the shredder to get the ears off and shred the reminder to use as fodder for farm animals.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=video+antique+corn+shredder+in+action&&view=detail&mid=EE82D730165DCF711514EE82D730165DCF711514&rvsmid=54A73BD4FC3F6B99F80754A73BD4FC3F6B99F807&FORM=VDQVAP

When I was young, a friend of mine had an elderly uncle (born in the 1880s) who could tell all kinds of stories about threshing, harvesting timber by hand, and a thousand other lost memories. I was too stupid to listen much.

jkwilson said:
When I was young, a friend of mine had an elderly uncle (born in the 1880s) who could tell all kinds of stories about threshing, harvesting timber by hand, and a thousand other lost memories. I was too stupid to listen much.
We've had a few like that in our neighborhood who have passed over the years. Wish I could go back as a teenager and talk to them one more time. Wish those guys would have wrote their memoirs. They knew all the history of the area and the farms and families that were around here. When they pass, its like loosing a couple books from the library.

jkwilson said:
I had a neighbor that would tell of rafting logs down the river when it was in flood stage.

Heard my Dad talk about threshing in the old days.Much like you have read.

He used to tell about one of our cousins who would blow his straw into the barn.Made an awful day for ones working in the barn.He said they would be covered in dust from it and he'd get sick every year.

In 1946 or 1947 My Father and two of his brothers cut and baled a hay meadow owned by their Sister Lil Osborn. I will try to explain the operation as follows. Uncle Carl cut the meadow with a horse drawn sickle mower with a four foot bar. After the hay was cured they borrowed a baler that was powered by a horse. The transport wheels were taken off and the baler set on the ground it was maybe forty or fifty foot long on the ground. Set up in shade for evening work. The horse walked in a circle at the far end of the baler opposite of where the hay was fed in walking in a circle pulling a lever that powered a bell crank that moved the plunger head back and forth. There were wooden blocks made with grooves that wire were fed through to tie the bales. A block was placed between each bale. The bale hooks in the baler would catch the block and keep everything from backing up. My Uncle Earl drug the hay to the baler with a sulky rake and My Father and Uncle Carl fed the baler with pitch forks.The wire being used was in a long bundle and place along side and inline with the baler. My cousin Ladale Hurley would poke a wire through the backside of the block that divided the bale and when the next block showed up that divided the bales I would poke the wire back through on the front side of the block and Ladale would tie the bale off. Two wires for each bale. My Father paid me a penny a bale for my work. I made $7 that summer and bought a pair of Yellow Acme cowboy boots. My older Brother Cecil drug the bales and stacked them away from the operation and kept the horse walking. Each brother divided the bales equally. I can remember this as it was yesterday sure wish my mother would have taken a photo with her Kodak for history's sake.

Farm connected pulmonary fibrosis and other interstitial lung diseases used to be called thresher's lung or thresher's disease..

I had two friends that passed away a few years ago that were walking encyclopedias.. Neal Wright in particular was interesting to talk to, usually stopped in at his place on my way home from town for a coffee and chat.. never got out of there before 3 or 4 hours had passed
pic share

Latest posts