Name the Machine

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence said:
greybeard said:
Farm connected pulmonary fibrosis and other interstitial lung diseases used to be called thresher's lung or thresher's disease..

A mask would help with that.
In those days, about all they had was bandanas.
My brother-in-law died from pulmonary fibrosis back in May...not farm related tho. Not an easy way to go and it took 5 years to kill him.....slowly, gasping for every breath. Chem inhalation from a refinery over in Deer Park Tx and agent orange exposure in RVN before that.

Nesikep said:
I had two friends that passed away a few years ago that were walking encyclopedias.. Neal Wright in particular was interesting to talk to, usually stopped in at his place on my way home from town for a coffee and chat.. never got out of there before 3 or 4 hours had passed
pic share
That guy had a strong back.

jltrent said:
Nesikep said:
I had two friends that passed away a few years ago that were walking encyclopedias.. Neal Wright in particular was interesting to talk to, usually stopped in at his place on my way home from town for a coffee and chat.. never got out of there before 3 or 4 hours had passed
pic share
yes.. HAD!

Nesikep said:
jltrent said:
Nesikep said:
pic share
yes.. HAD!
The old Distans and Mauls were from before my time. The old boys told me when they got them they threw away their crosscut saws. Pick up an 090 Stihl with a 60 inch bar sometime. I don't know about the strong back but I think you were weak between the ears to be packing one of those around to make a living. I remember when the 075 came out that I thought they were a pleasure to run. Only weighed 36 pounds empty with no bar.

Dave said:
Nesikep said:
jltrent said:
yes.. HAD!
The old Distans and Mauls were from before my time. The old boys told me when they got them they threw away their crosscut saws. Pick up an 090 Stihl with a 60 inch bar sometime. I don't know about the strong back but I think you were weak between the ears to be packing one of those around to make a living. I remember when the 075 came out that I thought they were a pleasure to run. Only weighed 36 pounds empty with no bar.
About as much saw as I wanna run is a 394 or 064.. I have a 2100 with a 36" 404 bar if a really need to get through something big, the 394 has a 34" and the 064 has a 32".. the 044 and 372 both have 28" which is a nice size
If I could find a 3120 I'd just have to buy it

I'm kinda kicking myself for not buying this one... Not only is it exceedingly rare, it's doubly so because it's pretty much new in crate!
It's a Comet diesel powered saw
No, I would not be running it

Some of those old saws like the Distans and Mauls couldn't be tipped on there side. So they were made so you could turn the bar while keeping the motor upright. To say that would be a pain is an understatement. But I guess it was easier than pulling on a crosscut all day.

I ran the guts out of a pair of 2100's with 36 inch bar working in SE Alaska. They were a good fit for the size of timber. They were lighter than a 075 and the next step down in a Stihl was a 045. I believe that was before the 056 came out. I still have the 066 with a 36 inch bar that was in my hands when I got my back broke. Every time i pick it up I can't imagine that I use to run up and down the hills with it in my hands. I guess that is why I drank a full gallon of water everyday at work. I was younger and in a whole lot better shape in those days.

I never liked the 056, it really felt like a cinderblock.. the 064/066's were shaped like a husky and much better
Lots of old 2100's around here, they were really good saws but yeah, on the heavy side too

I saw this old threshing machine a couple days ago. I wonder why they had one. There can't be 5 acres of land flat enough to farm. This country is flat as a table top... with the legs cut off on one side. From the looks of the old house this must have been a successful homestead at one time. Not the normal little shack you find up in these hills.

Latest posts