Name that Grass (pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

Goosegrass from the Plants National Database

goosegrass.jpg

its tough, but the cows will eat it... reminds me of cocoa grass kinda..

jt

I have seen this on our place in an area that stays a little damp at some times. The seed head from Dun's picture helped jar my memory. The first time I saw it the seed head reminded me of a hop seed head at a glance. I didn't know what it was called.

I guess you could say I don't know my grass from a hole in the ground.

Bret

I've always been told that Dallis grass has 2 spindles, Bahia has 3 and goose grass has 4-5.

Either way, Cimmeron or Ally will kill all of those without killing bermuda.

We have something similar to goosegrass here or maybe it's the same thing. I've always called it windmill grass but I'm not sure it gets as big as the clump in the picture.

Thats definitely it Dun. So everyone seems to think i should get rid of it huh? now i have another question. why do they call it goose grass ( it IS growing where the stupid canada geese hang out ).

Beefy":8nqihm7h said:
So everyone seems to think i should get rid of it huh? now i have another question. why do they call it goose grass ( it IS growing where the stupid canada geese hang out ).

Why do they call an orange an orange or anything else whatever it's called?

Why bother getting rid of it unless it's in your lawn? It's a warm season grass, cows eat it, doesn;t compete (around here any way) with other more desirable forages. So what's the problem with it?

dun

Personally I'd just leave it. Its expensive to get rid of and it will grow where other stuff won't.

ok good, i kinda like it. just didnt want another thistle or pigweed or something on my hands. its amazing what a little rain will do. some of the pensacola bahia is taking back over what the carpet grass had claimed in the dry years.

Didn't ever know what it was called but I have some. It's not bermuda. I have that too and when I Round Up around the sidewalk to kill the bermuda, this grass will grow back. It does seem to grow where other plants won't. It has a shallow root system but I don't know how you would get rid of it if you wanted.

Its green...we could use some of that up here...had to increase the supplimental alfalfa and we usually don't get rain for another month or so. Dave Mc

Latest posts