Name that Grass (pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefy

Reaction score
Can anyone identify this grass for me. it grows in heavily trodden areas like the cattle pen, along paths, and right out side the pen and around the mineral troughs. it seeds readily and the cows seem to like it enough. it is alwyas darker green than the rest of the grass and grows in little mounds that pull up easily.

Picture1208.jpg

Picture1209.jpg

Looks like what they call goose grass around here. If the middle of the crown of the leaves are flat it would be crabgrass. They're about the same thing

dun

From the picture kinda looks like Bahia grass, as it matures there will a black fuzz on the seeds

We have the same stuff in our barn lot and the calves keep it eaten down. I never knew what kind it was. It seems to be kind of tough, when they are grazing it they seem to pull kind of hard on it to bite it off.

dun":23sshbjp said:
Looks like what they call goose grass around here. If the middle of the crown of the leaves are flat it would be crabgrass. They're about the same thing

dun

have to agree with dun. sometimes called cheat grass, too.

We called it Goose grass here. I never knew if it is the real name or not. Usually when I go to look it up in a weed site, there is no such animal. Round Up kills it where I don't want it to grow. It can be hateful around those areas too.

Caustic Burno":3rh4a6r6 said:
MikeC":3rh4a6r6 said:
Yep, dun is right, goosegrass. Tough as a pine knot too.

Looks like what we call smut grass the best I can tell from the pic.

What we call smutgrass is bunched up tight with a straight seedhead stem. If you grab the stem and pull up your hand will have "smut" on it. Hard to rid of too!

MikeC":27xflmy1 said:
Caustic Burno":27xflmy1 said:
MikeC":27xflmy1 said:
Yep, dun is right, goosegrass. Tough as a pine knot too.

Looks like what we call smut grass the best I can tell from the pic.

What we call smutgrass is bunched up tight with a straight seedhead stem. If you grab the stem and pull up your hand will have "smut" on it. Hard to rid of too!

You're right Mike, it's not smutgrass. It looks like some sort of paspalum except the with the seed clusters radiating from a common point.

If you ever figure out how to get rid of smutgrass, short of a nuke, without killing everything else, let me know.

cowgirl580":3kx6xukw said:
dun":3kx6xukw said:

dun

Have to disagree with you, Cowgirl, that is not cheat grass.

msscamp":2wqn5046 said:
cowgirl580":2wqn5046 said:
dun":2wqn5046 said:

dun

Have to disagree with you, Cowgirl, that is not cheat grass.

oh, what do you call cheat grass?

I was thinking Dallisgrass as well until he said all the seedheads came out at the same spot. It has to be goosegrass. It is hard to get except with a preemergent that contains benefin, bensulide, or oxadiazon. Most of these also get crabgrass, wild onion, wild garlic, and dallisgrass as well. As with any preemergent timing is critical.

it will get really really black as the seed matures... its definitely not bahia, i'm not quite that dumb. its like a bahia plant with a bermuda seed though...sortof.

Beefy":k4rg5v7x said:
it will get really really black as the seed matures... its definitely not bahia, i'm not quite that dumb. its like a bahia plant with a bermuda seed though...sortof.

It's still goose grass

dun

Latest posts