Name Her

Help Support CattleToday:

Name.....Margaret, after a woman that I know of who had 15 children.
Contemporaries......none that I am personally aware of.

The oldest one I currently have is 14.

Katherine

35 years old!?!?!

Name her for what she is, B.S. :lol2: Are we talking about a cow though?

Oh and im just jokin but that is truly impressive.

Old Jock [126], who was born 1842 and sired by Grey-Breasted Jock. Old Jock was given the number "1" in the Scotch Herd Book when it was founded. Another of Watson's notable animals was a cow: Old Granny [125] who was born in 1824 and said to have lived to be 35 years of age and produced 29 calves. A vast majority of Angus cattle alive today can trace their pedigrees back to these two animals.[3]

Old Granny [125] who was born in 1824 and said to have lived to be 35 years of age and produced 29 calves.

Wow so those that don't give a girl a second chance when open may be missing out on their own "Granny"....... :nod:

hillsdown":1lmzitu0 said:
Old Jock [126], who was born 1842 and sired by Grey-Breasted Jock. Old Jock was given the number "1" in the Scotch Herd Book when it was founded. Another of Watson's notable animals was a cow: Old Granny [125] who was born in 1824 and said to have lived to be 35 years of age and produced 29 calves. A vast majority of Angus cattle alive today can trace their pedigrees back to these two animals.[3]

Old Granny [125] who was born in 1824 and said to have lived to be 35 years of age and produced 29 calves.

Wow so those that don't give a girl a second chance when open may be missing out on their own "Granny"....... :nod:

Good Job Hillsdown!

Knocked my socks off reading about her. I find a lot of the posts on here about historic genetics very interesting, the balance of what have we gained/lost over the years. The place I bought my last 3n1's had a bred 21 year old there with a heifer calf on her. I regret not finding how much they wanted for her.

I wonder what the average cows lifespan was in those days? Sure would have an effect on the bottom line these days! :lol:

Did she breed and lose the calf the other 6 years, or was she open on the years she came in dry? There is no place on my ranch for a cow that doesn't breed. If she loses a calf she gets another chance but if she boesn't breed she is burger.

I would say the old gal earned her keep. Figure maybe she had her first calf at around or before she was 2 year old and say she didn't calve the year she died would only make her missing 3 times. And i don't guess there was much of a cull cow market back then. I'll take one that will raise 29 calves in 35 years. If i had a set of 2 year olds that would do that they would out last me.

Latest posts