What's Wrong With Her Eye?

Help Support CattleToday:

GotMyHandsFull

Reaction score
I have a three-year-old Charolais cow that's developed some sort of ever-changing cyst in her eye, right where the tear duct would be on a person. It will start out about the size of a BB, grow larger, erupt and expel green pus, shrink and start the cycle all over again. I've given her penicillin, aspirin boluses and LA300. The cyst (or whatever it is) doesn't appear to bother her. She's one of the fattest cows I have. She does not appear to be in any distress at all and I've never seen her rubbing her eye on anything to relieve an itch or some other type of discomfort. At first, I thought maybe a wild oat or piece of hay had become lodged deep in the tissue around her eye and her body was trying to push it out like a splinter, but if that was the case, it doesn't seem like the life cycle of this cyst would keep repeating. Any ideas, thoughts or suggestions? The nearest vet is about 70 miles away.

I would suggest at least trying to get a picture to a vet before giving anymore drugs that probably won't do any good.

I would think most vets are using smartphones.

I've had a few experiences with cancer eye. It usually flares up worst during pregnancy, until calf is born, then recedes. I don't understand the science of it. I've been told it has to do with hormones. I've had success treating some eye problems with nutrition powder. It comes in a puffer bottle. Made for applying to eye. Good luck I hope it's not cancer eye. It's a really bad deal. In many markets the cows is condemned. I have had one that completely recovered from vet diagnosed cancer eye( just went away) I but I believe it's very rare to save one without removing the eye. Best of luck.

I've had a few experiences with cancer eye. It usually flares up worst during pregnancy, until calf is born, then recedes. I don't understand the science of it. I've been told it has to do with hormones. I've had success treating some eye problems with nutrition powder. It comes in a puffer bottle. Made for applying to eye. Good luck I hope it's not cancer eye. It's a really bad deal. In many markets the cows is condemned. I have had one that completely recovered from vet diagnosed cancer eye( just went away) I but I believe it's very rare to save one without removing the eye. Best of luck.

I've had a few experiences with cancer eye. It usually flares up worst right before during pregnancy, until calf is born, then recedes. I don't understand the science of it. I've been told it has to do with hormones.
Hormones feed many types of tumors. (It is that way in people also.)

I have never dealt with "cancer eye" in my Brangus. But I think that I would be inclined to have the vet just remove it, whatever it is. It still could be that she got something in there. I have had stuff abscess that would not come out. I just dealt with that with a horse. We finally just surgically cleaned it all out.

It's awfully young for cancer eye, you'll seldom see it much younger than 8 years of age

What's throwing me is that the growth will get larger, rupture, shrink to the size of a BB and start all over again. That doesn't sound like the behavior of a malignant tumor to me, but I'm not a vet and I've never had another cow with this condition. There is nothing on the surface of her eyeball. The growth is in the tissue in the corner of her eye. Also, there's no swelling on her jaw, face or neck to indicate any malignancy has spread into her lymph nodes. I'm going to try and get the best picture I can and send it to the nearest vet school.

If it turns out to be eye cancer, can she be sold as a kill cow as long as her situation is made public at the sale barn?

If it is confined to the eyeball, it can be removed. Lots of productive one eyed cows out there. From talking to folks, some areas of the country take eyes out quite regularly at any sign of problem.

I'm not qualified to give a diagnosis. I was just sharing my experience. That's all I ever offer is what I've personally experienced, or my opinion. Never something I simply googled.the guy who said she is young made a good point.In my opinion. Allforage is right eye removal is often used for cancer eye,(if that what it is). Being a young cow ,it would probably be worth doing. I 've never done it.If you find a barn that will sell a cancer eye, you'll only get a rock bottom junk price.In my experience. I'll bet it all turns out ok good luck.

I got her up this weekend and gave her penicillin and laid on the ivermectin pretty thick to try and minimize flies bothering her eye. As soon as I can get a picture sent away to a vet or vet school and hear back, I'll post and let y'all know what they say. I appreciate the feedback and suggestions.

GotMyHandsFull":39g9lat3 said:
I got her up this weekend and gave her penicillin and laid on the ivermectin pretty thick to try and minimize flies bothering her eye. As soon as I can get a picture sent away to a vet or vet school and hear back, I'll post and let y'all know what they say. I appreciate the feedback and suggestions.

Oxytetracycline is a better choice antibiotic for anything eye related (it concentrates in mucous membranes) and there are much better fly products than Ivermectin.

I disagree with fenceman about removing the eye of a young cow, if it is indeed cancer the prognosis of a young cow really isn't a good one as it is more likely a very aggressive cancer. I won't do it personally, but it would make more sense to remove the eye of an old proven cow in order to squeeze one more heifer calf out of her.

Latest posts