NAIS

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
From Drovers Alert

Animal ID consortium announced
A news release this week announced the formation of the United States Animal Identification Organization, an independent group intended to manage an industry-led animal-identification movement database as prescribed by the National Animal Identification System. The National Cattlemen's Beef Association initiated this effort, and, for the past year, has worked to build an industry consortium. Prior statements from the NCBA stressed that, once formed, the consortium would operate independently of the NCBA and other industry groups. The USAIO held its first board meeting last week and elected a board of directors consisting of chairman Charles Miller, a cow-calf producer from Nicholasville, Ky., Rick Stott, a beef producer from Boise, Idaho, and bison producer Lance Kuck from Bassett, Neb. The release states that the USAIO will expand its board of directors as other industry groups join the consortium. The group has submitted a memorandum of understanding to the USDA to form a strategic partnership and fulfill Secretary Johanns' directive for the industry to develop the database repository. For more information, go to http://www.drovers.com/news_editorial.a ... ed_id=3459
While the NCBA worked hard to launch the effort, they've also stressed that the Animal Identification Organization must survive independently. Industry leaders know that the program will have a greater opportunity for success if it is not tied to an existing organization. — Greg Henderson, Drovers editor

USDA open to networking animal-ID databases
In related animal-ID news, the USDA's chief veterinarian, John Clifford, has indicated the agency will consider linking a network of private and state animal-tracking databases under the National Animal Identification System. Clifford told participants of last week's American Farm Bureau Federation annual meeting in Nashville, Tenn., that such a system would allow the USDA to tap into a portal of various animal-identification and tracking systems run by commodity groups or other organizations and 20 existing state databases. "The concept will allow us to enter into agreements with the different entities responsible for the different databases," Clifford said. For more information, http://www.fb.org/news/nr/nr2006/nr0108m.html
John Clifford also indicated that the USDA might be open to multiple databases that would be networked under that the NAIS. Prior to this, it appeared that the APHIS favored one large tracking database, whether it was operated by industry or government. — G.H.

Dun,

Good info. I've recently gotten my premisis ID number. What I don't know is how, when, or from whom do I get my individual animal ID numbers.

bullred":2kfdopki said:
Dun,

Good info. I've recently gotten my premisis ID number. What I don't know is how, when, or from whom do I get my individual animal ID numbers.

The individual animal numbers is one of those deals that to me just doesn;t make sense, or maybe I haven;t had it explained with small enough words for me to understand. There are a lot ofplaces that sell different types of buttons and tag/button combinations that have the number chips in them. From what I've been able to find out, the numbers are all unique and when it's recorded as to what animal it's on your farm id is just recorded on the front of the other number. So if you have number XXXXXXXXX98 when you report it the animal id becvomes fffffffXXXXXXXXX98, farm id = ffffffff. That probably doesn;t explain it any better, but that's how I understand it.

dun

warpaint":10ilu0i5 said:
Thanks for the info, dun. Supposedly this law will be in place in Tenn. by 2008.
I sent my paperwork in, but have not heard a word.There's an awful lot of Cattlemen here still in the "Dark" about how it will all work.

Crowderfarms":ql30i1a1 said:
warpaint":ql30i1a1 said:
Thanks for the info, dun. Supposedly this law will be in place in Tenn. by 2008.
I sent my paperwork in, but have not heard a word.There's an awful lot of Cattlemen here still in the "Dark" about how it will all work.

Every one is still in the dark on how it will work. But the Canucks got it working and I think the europeons have it working from what I've read. If the french can figure it out I don;t see why the US can;t.

dun

dun":15qyvpde said:
Crowderfarms":15qyvpde said:
warpaint":15qyvpde said:

Every one is still in the dark on how it will work. But the Canucks got it working and I think the europeons have it working from what I've read. If the french can figure it out I don;t see why the US can;t.

dun

I sent my registration in but I don't understand it either. I am wondering how folks are going to id chickens and such. I mean some of these chicken farms have thousands of them. At least from what I have read, it sounds like every single critter will have to be marked. There goes the price of chicken.

flaboy+":3nxtgq97 said:
I sent my registration in but I don't understand it either. I am wondering how folks are going to id chickens and such. I mean some of these chicken farms have thousands of them. At least from what I have read, it sounds like every single critter will have to be marked. There goes the price of chicken.

There are provisions, supposedly, for animals that are alwasy handled as batches, poultry from chicken and egg ranches, turkey farms, etc. are supposed to be under that umbrella. But what about Jow Schwartz down the road that has 5 hens and decideds to sell them to a neighbor or run them through one of small animal swapmeet types of deal? I'm having enough concerns with how the cattle deal will work, could care less about chickens and llamas and emus and etc.

dun

dun":438jh8jf said:
There are provisions, supposedly, for animals that are alwasy handled as batches, poultry from chicken and egg ranches, turkey farms, etc. are supposed to be under that umbrella. But what about Jow Schwartz down the road that has 5 hens and decideds to sell them to a neighbor or run them through one of small animal swapmeet types of deal? I'm having enough concerns with how the cattle deal will work, could care less about chickens and llamas and emus and etc.

dun

Sorry I brought up chickens then Dun. It's just my GF has about 40 at my place. :roll:

flaboy+":1a4sns2w said:
It's just my GF has about 40 at my place. :roll:

re: chickens -- The way things are going and the typical life span of a chicken, they'll be all in the stew pot before you need to worry about it.

dun

dun":mi3s5h5i said:
flaboy+":mi3s5h5i said:

re: chickens -- The way things are going and the typical life span of a chicken, they'll be all in the stew pot before you need to worry about it.

dun

Naw, my problem is she keeps replacing the ones that get killed by hawks or die of old age. :lol:

flaboy+":20fi78su said:
dun":20fi78su said:
flaboy+":20fi78su said:

dun

Naw, my problem is she keeps replacing the ones that get killed by hawks or die of old age. :lol:

That does make it a bit of a poser then

dun

bullred":1n1pixun said:
Dun,

you don't have to worry about that yet. right now, they just want everyone to sign up for a premise i.d. the individual animal numbers will come from whatever tag company you choose to use (it's not necessary to begin using them yet).

txag":38g9s7xr said:
bullred":38g9s7xr said:
Dun,

you don't have to worry about that yet. right now, they just want everyone to sign up for a premise i.d. the individual animal numbers will come from whatever tag company you choose to use (it's not necessary to begin using them yet).

And, if you're not selling them or changing the premises they (supposedly) won;t require to be tagged.

dun

dun":1rzw3toe said:
And, if you're not selling them or changing the premises they (supposedly) won;t require to be tagged.

dun

good point. they will not need a tag until they leave the premise of origin (& more than 1 pasture/place can be considered the same premise)

I started to order some tags to get "ahead of the curve". The tags are in NO LOGICIAL sequence!! You don't order tag # xxxxxxxx101 to xxxxxxxx299. Just a complete random sequence sent to you however they come! You may have xxxxxxxx101 and someone across the country will have xxxxxxxxx102. NO sequence of numbers. Somehow you're going to have to match up your herd tag numbers with these random numbers. Typical government BS. Don't know why they couldn't have allowed the last 4 or 5 digits to used by the individual rancher? That would have actually made sense!!! Could have eliminated tattoing AND a second set of ear tags!

This whole ID thing is driving me wacko. It sounded like a good idea when I first heard about it. The more I think about it the more confused I get. The whole thing is going to cost an enormous amount of money. It's very confusing and virtually useless until everyone involved in the process adopts it. Maybe I'm just thinking a bit on the simple side but any cattle that are sold at a salebarn are required to have a brand on them. My question is why can't we just use the brands as a form of ID. Maybe I'm way off my rocker and somebody needs to set me straight.

novaman":3nri2cp6 said:
This whole ID thing is driving me wacko. It sounded like a good idea when I first heard about it. The more I think about it the more confused I get. The whole thing is going to cost an enormous amount of money. It's very confusing and virtually useless until everyone involved in the process adopts it. Maybe I'm just thinking a bit on the simple side but any cattle that are sold at a salebarn are required to have a brand on them. My question is why can't we just use the brands as a form of ID. Maybe I'm way off my rocker and somebody needs to set me straight.

First of all, not all cattle are required to be branded. In the states that use brands they are only an indication of ownership, not an individual identification that can trace a single animal back to a single source.
I persoanlly don;t see the enormous cost except in the feedlot/slaughterhouse/salebarn arena. The tags cost a little more then regular ear tags and if you don;t tag the animals when you ship them that will add a cost. Most of the salebarns I've talked to, only 3 so far, will tag cattle for you when you sell, at a fee of course.

dun

norriscathy":1vdopcjt said:
I started to order some tags to get "ahead of the curve". The tags are in NO LOGICIAL sequence!! You don't order tag # xxxxxxxx101 to xxxxxxxx299. Just a complete random sequence sent to you however they come! You may have xxxxxxxx101 and someone across the country will have xxxxxxxxx102. NO sequence of numbers. Somehow you're going to have to match up your herd tag numbers with these random numbers. Typical government BS. Don't know why they couldn't have allowed the last 4 or 5 digits to used by the individual rancher? That would have actually made sense!!! Could have eliminated tattoing AND a second set of ear tags!

If the last digits were individualized for a producer the cost of the tags would be rediculous. If you cross the tag# with your id for the animal it's a pretty simple deal. Most of our calves get the RFI tags when they're sold to the feedlots and the numbers are reported back to us. The feedlot also keeps a record of what farm id goes with which RFI tag.

dun

Latest posts