NAIS - Leased property

Help Support CattleToday:

TXBobcat

Reaction score
If you are leasing property and a house, do you need to get a premises ID for the location you are leasing, or do you fall under the land owner's premises ID?

In other words, the leased house/property is the only place you have livestock (cattle, horses), how do you handle that?

I would handle it by contacting my state department of agriculture and asking them

dun

According to http://www.tahc.state.tx.us/animal_id/2005Dec_Animal_ID_FactSheet.pdf, they say

On July 1, 2006, premises registration will be compulsory in Texas. All persons who own, manage or are caretakers for locations where livestock, exotic livestock, poultry, or exotic poultry are handled must register their premises with the TAHC and submit the $20 two-year fee. Renewal and fee payment will be required every 24 months thereafter.

I would interpret caretaker as someone leasing property, but I could be wrong.

TXBobcat":gx6jvgw2 said:
According to http://www.tahc.state.tx.us/animal_id/2005Dec_Animal_ID_FactSheet.pdf, they say

On July 1, 2006, premises registration will be compulsory in Texas. All persons who own, manage or are caretakers for locations where livestock, exotic livestock, poultry, or exotic poultry are handled must register their premises with the TAHC and submit the $20 two-year fee. Renewal and fee payment will be required every 24 months thereafter.

That would be my take on it as well, but I'd follow duns advice!

warpaint":2ug2c8wj said:
TXBobcat":2ug2c8wj said:

That would be my take on it as well, but I'd follow duns advice!

Do check with officials....but I've heard two presentations on NAIS and to my understanding you may have one premise ID if you have multiple locations.

This is very interesting....when I went to register my premises, I remember there being a fact sheet saying that if you were leasing, then the premises would need to be registered to the land owner. However, it seems they've changed their website and associated documentation up a bit? Now I'm seeing from my account and from the associated documentation, that I have the ability to register several locations under the one premises number. For example, Honey lives and runs cows in Georgetown, TX and I have a place in Washington, TX. We co-mingle cattle, so he (or the land owner) would register their premises as their prime residence, and show my place as an additional location, and I would do the same here? huh? It just seemed so clear a few months ago!

TXBobcat":r40pk65a said:
In other words, the leased house/property is the only place you have livestock (cattle, horses), how do you handle that?
If your landowner doesn't have any other premises, encourage him/her to get it in his/her name. If there are other premises owned, be sure that the landowner gets a separate number for your place.

If either of those options presents a problem, go ahead and do it in your name just to get started. You can edit the premise later to show the landowner's name if you move.

If the landowner has other tenants on different properties, or if the landowner runs livestock on other properties, the most important thing is to be sure that the landowner does not get just one premise id number for all of you to use.

It's very important that you protect yourself in the event of disease tracebacks related to another tenant's livestock. That makes it imperative that the property you lease has it's own number.

Go to this link www.tahc.state.tx.us/

Article Dated :February 17: Action on Texas' Proposed Premises Registration Regulations Postponed

Obviously the requirement to register has been postponed. They are still suggesting a voluntary registration though. Sounds like it will eventually become mandatory.

I agree with rk.. when we registered, it asked for any lease property, which was also registered under our number.

I think the landowner would need to register the premise if [/i]he had cattle on the property as well.

Latest posts