N Fertilizer for Annuals like SS or Millet?

Help Support CattleToday:

I have always heard 40 to 50 lbs of N at planting and again after each graze down or cutting for hay if your grazing season allows more than one.

Yes and how so?

Typically one pound of N to each day of growth.
Typically here 60 to 75: pounds at pre plant. Gets to first harvest and beginning of regrowing. If second cut looks promising N is reapplied. I have applied 30 at planting in questionable condition and applied balance when good stand was achieved.

Nitrogen is gone by grazing....how so?

Chemical N is very mobile. Run off, soak down, volatilize into air... Standard assumption is it mostly gone in 30 days. Corn growers know this and will put in on with irrigation water, or top dress several times per season, to get high yields.

Stocker Steve said:
Chemical N is very mobile. Run off, soak down, volatilize into air... Standard assumption is it mostly gone in 30 days. Corn growers know this and will put in on with irrigation water, or top dress several times per season, to get high yields.

30 days??
It's usual to see them putting anhydrous in the ground and disking in urea here in January. They don't start planting until March. Now they do top dress corn . But I wouldn't think so if they where grazing it . They're trying to produce grain.

callmefence It's usual to see them putting anhydrous in the ground and disking in urea here in January. They don't start planting until March. Now they do top dress corn . But I wouldn't think so if they where grazing it . They're trying to produce grain. [/quote said:
Anhydrous is different.

Some people broadcast early, and N lasts alot longer if it is cold and dry, but it is a bad idea.

Latest posts