Mycoplasma Bovis

Help Support CattleToday:

Roger

Reaction score
New to forum and hope I'm not asking about a subject already covered but can use some help. Anybody have experience with treatment of mycoplasma bovis in 500 to 700 lb calves? Any suggestions will be appreciated especially regarding vacs for prevention along with your experience and methods used in treatment of infected animals. How successful were/are you?
RR

I wanted to bring this back up again. Any new news about draxxin therapy, or any other treatment. My best gaining bull has some of the syptoms and I hope I caught it early enough with Draxxin. He has also been on feed medicated with ctc for about a week as well.

Sizmic

Just what I have seen and been told(by people who should know).

Vaccinating doesn't seem to help
its an opportunistic bug- it takes a compromised immune system to thrive.

So number one is to keep the calves healthy and unstressed

Problem is you don't know if you are dealing with it or not ;till its too late.
You can't afford to treat all sicknesses as Mycoplasma as it takes heavy long term(10-14 days) dosing to treat. And even then you'll have high levels of failures.

Draxin is helpful- as it treats long term-but it still needs backing up to knock Myco out-- how do you decide to back it up?
Once the calf is lame its too late.

I haven't got it figured out yet............
and I am seeing more and more lame cattle .Joint Lameness was rare 10 yrs ago- its common now.

Here's the link if you want to read the entire article, also good vaccination, good nutrition and a good mineral program helps prevent.

http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/beef/400-304/400-304.html

Treatment
Mycoplasma is very difficult to treat because many commonly used antibiotics do not work well. Penicillin, Polyflex®, Naxcel®, Excenel®, and Excede® kill bacteria by destroying the cell wall. Since Mycolplasma does not have a normal cell wall, these antibiotics are ineffective in treating it. Micotil® shows little or no activity against Mycoplasma as well.

Oxytetracycline (the active ingredient in LA-200®, Biomycin 200®, Tetradure 200®, and other generics) has produced mixed results in treating Mycoplasma. In one study 50 percent of M. bovis isolates were resistant to oxytetracycline. Tulathromycin (Draxxin®) is the only drug approved for Mycoplasma, and in one study, was the drug most likely to be effective (Godinho, et al., 2005). Draxxin® provides the most convenient treatment of Mycoplasmosis because one dose provides seven to 14 days of therapeutic blood concentrations against Mycoplasma and Mannheimia haemolytica, Pasturella multocida, and Histophilus somni, all causes of BRDC. Other drugs that show good results are Nuflor® and Adspec®. Baytril® and A180® can also be effective in treating Mycoplasma when there is a mixed infection with M. haemolytica and Mycoplasma.

The two most important factors in the treatment of Mycoplasma are early recognition and prolonged treatment. Calves treated early in the course of the disease respond fairly well. The need for longer treatment than usual for BRDC is underscored by the fact that without extended therapy, 30 percent to 70 percentof the calves can relapse and require treatment again. Each time a calf relapses it will have more lung damage and be less likely to recover. Current recommendations are to provide continuous therapeutic levels of antibiotics to calves with Mycoplasma pneumonia for 10 to 14 days.

Chlortetracycline at a rate of 0.25 to 1.0 grams per 100 pounds of body weight per day can be added to the feed to extend the therapy protocol to the recommended 10 to 14 days. If a Mycoplasma infection is suspected, a veterinarian should be consulted in developing a treatment protocol that will fit these guidelines and best meet the needs of the operation. Using antibiotics to treat swollen joints is usually unrewarding once the pneumonia has been controlled. The most effective treatment for arthritic calves is to provide easy access to feed and water to prevent starvation and dehydration. It may also be necessary to run these animals to feed and water several times daily until they have begun to recover. The most fortunate aspect of this disease is that it appears, given enough time, a large number of calves will recover. It can take weeks to months for the joints to fully recover and the cattle to start gaining weight.

I have been feeding ctc in my feed for them for about a week and a half. It's in the mineral I mix in, is that enough, I haven't got a real handle on exactly how much they are eating yet. The bull in question seems to be eating as much as the others and walks fine, a couple of the other bulls have a nasal discharge but don't seem to be breathing rapid like him. They have all been stressed as they were weaned 2 and 1/2 weeks ago and then moved to the bull lot last week. I really don't want to lose this one as he is my pick for a herd bull for myself. Are there any long term effects, if this is what he has, that would ruin his chances? What about testing?

Sizmic

First off- what makes you think hes got Myco- instead of just normal sick?
and From what you wrote are you even sure hes sick?

Theres lots of reasons for breathing heavy(especially this time of year)

I don't know where you are from but if its hot and humid it could just be
previous lung damage
fescue toxicity
allergy
ate toxic plants(especially if you are in a drought)

Testing is pretty useless- Mycoplasma is everywhere- you can see if theres a huge concentration- but by then the calf would be really sick looking anyhow.A low concentration means nothing.

The ctc is helpful as a preventative or clean up-- but if the calf is sick(Myco or not) it needs a heavy hitting antibiotic too.

Take its temperature first thing in the morning- that will help more than anything to get a handle on whats going on.

Sounds like you MIGHT need a vet to guide you till you learn what to look for and what to do when you see it.

As far as a herd bull-- I believe in natural selection for the herds long term productivity. If you have one animal that needs some kind of help and 20 that don't-- why would you want to use that one to breed all your cows . Pick the toughest easiest keeper.

Howdyjabo,
I have had the vet out before I posted anything about it, he did have a fever of 105 and was a "little" raspy in his breathing. We hit him with Draxxin, banamine, and b-12. One vet around here says myco is very prevelent, others say unlikely. He has been vaccinated for most all other respiratory diseases well before moving him. I know that doesn't mean he can't pick something up. Also, checked negative for PI. He may just be sick but something usually has to trigger pnuemonia, i.e. myco. I agree with the logic of keeping the best easy keepers and he was the best up to this point. 4.07 WDA on his momma with a month of a little creep, ratioed 124 (best). He is out of the #2 bull in the Angus breed for $B and his mother has a Jersey bag with super flesh. I am mainly just trying to get my guns loaded if it turns out to be MYCO.

Sizmic

sorry- went back and reread from the beginning-- forgot you mentioned treating with Draxin already.

Latest posts