need help with the arthritis part in mycoplasma

Help Support CattleToday:

waspfarmer

Reaction score
have a 450# calf , diagnosed w/ mycoplasma - quickly got over a mild lung issue. arthritis - big time swelling has hit it's final resting spot in her front leg after moving around from limb to limb , she can still get up , have tried everything I know of to help her. Question is: Does anyone know anything more to do? Have given every antibiotic suggested by the vet , incl. tylan , baytril , draxxin. She eats & drinks well. I can't get the swelling down. I need to either "donate" her to the vet school or have her put down - which brings me to my final question - what is the name of the drug that will put her down? (no, I can't shoot her)
Thanks all.

Drugs for euthanasia are "controlled" and usually only available to licensed veterinarians. This may help explain:

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/liv ... sia_cc.htm

Has your vet actually SEEN this calf? Sounds like 'joint ill' and I think vets can flush the joint, but I have no experience with that or with mycoplasma. I hope some others with more knowledge can chime in on this one to give you some guidance.

waspfarmer":1ynkysno said:
have a 450# calf , diagnosed w/ mycoplasma - quickly got over a mild lung issue. arthritis - big time swelling has hit it's final resting spot in her front leg after moving around from limb to limb , she can still get up , have tried everything I know of to help her. Question is: Does anyone know anything more to do? Have given every antibiotic suggested by the vet , incl. tylan , baytril , draxxin. She eats & drinks well. I can't get the swelling down. I need to either "donate" her to the vet school or have her put down - which brings me to my final question - what is the name of the drug that will put her down? (no, I can't shoot her)
Thanks all.

If it is actually mycoplasma, there isn't likely much you can do. My DH worked in a feedlot, and they had a go round of mycoplasma every now and then. But pretty much every animal that had it get into the joints ended up put down. They tried everything, even went as far as trying magnets.

Best thing would be to have the vet out to look at the animal, and make sure it isn't something simpler, and then likely your only other option is euthanasia, which you will either have to shoot the animal or have the vet out to do it.

I've had 2 different vets , from 2 different clinics out to check her to make sure - both say mycoplasma , unfortunately. I know there have been outbreaks in the west (from what I've read) & you'd think there would be "something". it's sad because she's so bright eyed , good appetite , etc.. & I can't shoot her myself because I've become attached. Yes, I'm a female softy. For future reference to anyone , I first noticed her laying with others, but wouldn't get up when I approached her (clue #1 that something's wrong) - when I got her up , she limped - I got her to the barn, penned away from others thinking she may have been roughed up , maybe stepped on because she was small . A week later I had the first vet out to make sure nothing was broken - it wasn't , then the swelling in her legs starting moving from joint to joint.
I've had a couple with joint ill in the past - they're usually babies. Never had any of my "home grown" calves or cows come down with anything major , but I've had just about everything with the feedlot calves (salebarn bought)
and yes, I keep these groups at seperate farms. Thanks everyone.

It does sound like classic symptoms of myco that I've read about... at this point I'd probably just donate her to the vet school or else shoot her or have the vet put her down. Sorry.