mycoplasma pnemonia

Help Support CattleToday:

newfarmermd

Reaction score
We have been finding cows limping and others dead (with no warning to us there was a problem). A vet came out on Friday and checked out one and went through the group and diagnosed the one with mycoplasma pneumonia. She gave the one draxxon, baytril, and banamine. He's doing much better and we have been treating the others (that we find limping) with draxxon. Unfortunately it's hitting us hard and we ran out last night after treating four. One of those we found laying and in our thoughts- on it's deathbed. He was limping on August 8, but we had no idea that we were dealing with pnemonia and thought he may have sprained it or something. He eats and drinks so we gave him the draxxon yesterday morning and moved him into the barn last night. He has not been on his feet in over 24 hours now. Still eating and drinking what we bring it. He has some spots on his belly and legs that look "raw" (possibly from rubbing together or being wet too long?). Is it safe to give it pencillin on top of the draxxon? We only have a little bit of baytril left and no way of getting anymore of it or draxxon until tomorrow. We are finding cows daily limping and are at a loss of what to do. The vet said to give the herd that seems okay medicated minerals in with their grain. We have been doing that since Thursday. It was bought then to try to help with flies. Any ideas of how to get him on his feet? I know the longer he's down, the greater chance of having future issues. If it wasn't for him not getting up, he would seem to be doing good. He can move his legs and has tried to get up. And if anyone has any advice to stopping this pnemonia? Thanks!

There are virtually no bovine respiratory pathogens that are susceptible to penicillin, anymore.
For the most part, there are very few disease conditions in cattle for which I'd even consider penicillin to be an appropriate treatment.
If Draxxin, Baytril, and the like are not getting the job done, it's incredibly unlikely that penicillin will help anything.
IF... this is a mycoplasma problem, then, no, penicillin won't help... mycoplasma have no cell wall, so penicillin has no mode of action against them. Tetracyclines are still effective, in vitro, against most Mycoplasma bovis isolates... but will likely have no effect against most other bacterial respiratory pathogens

I was wondering how all this turned out? And it for sure wasn't blackleg (NOT that I'm an expert, at all...but blackleg was the first thing I thought of when I read what you wrote about limping and then death.).

Any chance this was Acute Pulmonary Bovine Emphysema and Edema/ Bovine Atypical Interstitial Pneumonia? I've been reading a lot about it occurring lately. A few cases in Canada and ten 4-8 yr old cows suddenly died in Virginia and the chief suspect is APBEE. Both instances, cattle were introduced to lush pasture without first having access to Rumensin.

Lucky_P":8ov0tu6o said:
There are virtually no bovine respiratory pathogens that are susceptible to penicillin, anymore.
For the most part, there are very few disease conditions in cattle for which I'd even consider penicillin to be an appropriate treatment.
If Draxxin, Baytril, and the like are not getting the job done, it's incredibly unlikely that penicillin will help anything.
IF... this is a mycoplasma problem, then, no, penicillin won't help... mycoplasma have no cell wall, so penicillin has no mode of action against them. Tetracyclines are still effective, in vitro, against most Mycoplasma bovis isolates... but will likely have no effect against most other bacterial respiratory pathogens

Lucky P--do you know if limping is often an early symptom of mycoplasma? We lost a calf a couple weeks ago to what was suspected to be mycoplasma pneumonia but she started with respiratory issues and slowly deteriorated (we tried every antibiotic under the sun plus Banamine). Yesterday we found one young heifer was favoring her back leg, slight limp. Can that be an early symptom of mycoplasma? I'm hoping and praying she just has a sprain or something. Thanks in advance...

Latest posts