My Wife's Pumpkins

Help Support CattleToday:

slick4591

Reaction score
The orange one, guys. Largest is 65.5 lbs.

tracy_pumpkin.jpg

Nice pumpkins. What do you plan to do with them all? Oh, surely you didn't make her tote them for you. ;-) :lol2:

Sorry to disappoint! No, I loaded them for her and now they are setting on the carport waiting for a knife and time to can the meat. We were really surprised that they were producing so early, but there's plenty more just starting. Got a feeling I'm going to be sick of pumpkins by the time this is over. :bang:

Came across this SA recipee Slick and it sounds pretty good, thought your wife might like to try it.

Pumpkin Fritters

4 cups cooked pumpkin, mashed
2 eggs
1 cup flour
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
30 ml (2 tablespoons) heaped of sugar
Combine all ingredients, making a soft batter and fry spoonfuls in shallow oil till both sides are lightly browned. Drain on paper and serve warm with cinnamon sugar or caramel sauce.

Cinnamon Sugar:

Take one ounce of ground cinnamon and mix with 6 ounces of sugar. Sprinkle over pancakes to taste.

Caramel Sauce:

250 ml sugar
500 ml water
500 ml milk
30 ml margarine
20 ml cornstarch mixed to a paste with water
Cook together and add one teaspoon caramel essence before serving over pumpkin fritters.

alisonb":368ovbuj said:
They are tasty but absorb lots of oil :shock: , hope wife and you are not too health conscious Slick.

She is more than I, but we both like good food and will splurge occasionally.

alisonb":33u8tc2l said:
hillsdown":33u8tc2l said:
Drain on paper
They are tasty but absorb lots of oil :shock: , hope wife and you are not too health conscious Slick.

They don't sound prepared any differently than oliebollen or corn and apple fritters. Just make sure you use a light oil and drain really well so they are not too greasy. Definitely not an every day food, maybe a once a year treat . ;-)

Latest posts