My stallion project...Tear him up

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
This is my long yearling Stallion project. He'll be 2 in the first part of April (or Jan 1). Gentle, smart and willing colt.... so far he has earn the right to keep his brains between his legs. Sorry about the one pic being so far away, I had a couple of friends crop it, but after the blow up it doesn't have enough pixels. I haven't post on the horse boards for a while but thought I would share. Let me know honest opinions.

Thanks,
Alan

IMG_0843.jpg

IMG_0844.jpg

looks good! seems to have nice high withers and a nice powerful rump. seems to be fairly well muscled for a "baby". personally, i worry about bloodlines about at much as i worry about a meteor hitting me, but does he have a real fancy pedigree? how tall do you think he'll be?

Alan,

Oh no, he's all wrong.....but I'll take him off your hands.
I just joking ;-) :D

I saw that picture and had to do a double take. Wow!

He's something else! He's alert and looks so healthy. I like that.

I don't see anything wrong with him. Post more pictures when you can.

Circlet,

Yes, he is pretty well bred, he is a pleasure horse (QH), Western Pleasure, Western Riding, Hunt Seat, English Pleasure. Although for the English and Hunt seat, a great deal of the horses are appendix QH.... he's not.

He's about 14.2 or 3 right now, he should mature at 15.2 or 15.3. I haven't got many good pics of him because he just finally came out ot the awkward teenage stage.... You know, butt high, huge head, thick neck. The stage when different parts are growing at different times.

But here's his baby pic at about a week old or so:
P.S. I like his momma too, sweet mare.

IMG_0333.jpg

This is one at about 10 months or so, the beginning of the teenage period.

IMG_0472.jpg

Thanks for the comments,
Alan

You posted that picture of him and his mother here, right? I know I have seen that picture before. Maybe I'm wrong. :eek:

Man, he really has turned out nice.

It's funny how they go through those ugly stages. :lol:

I can see why you are proud of him, I would be too.

Keep us up to date on how he is comes along.

Alan, nice looking horse but you know better than to leave his brains in. Not sure he is that good is he?

Seal brown? Dark bay? What would you call him,and what would he throw as mom is chestnut?

Okay here it goes..... my fancy horse (as called by someone in the distant past).

Peg4x4, he is registered as a bay, but he is, as you can see, a very dark bay, not brown, but almost black at times.

Miss Daisy, thank you... he's my pride and a lot of fun... can't wait to get on.... in a couple of years :( .

Flaboy, you know me well enough to know that I'll cut a horse pretty quick and chew on "cowboys and little girls" for keeping a stallion and not knowing what a good stud is. A while back I posted a thread on "what makes a stallion".... three things:

1. People in the equine feild must know who the Sire or dam is by name, not a son of a son. The Sire or Dam.

2. Must have the temperment to be a stud, not a man eater, or an ill mannered jerk.

3. Must have the conformation to pass on to offspring.

So with that being said, so far he has that. He is getting a bit more study (studdy ?). But so far a well mannered young colt. I can grab his sheath, testies, belly, pole, ears without any reaction. He has a kind eye, works the round pen well and enjoys people and being "touched". (some studs hate to be touched anywhere, any time). Has never tried to bite, kick, strike or run over me (knock on wood :D ) He has trust in people.

He is put together pretty well...

He has the pedigree to back him up.... I hesitate because I took a tounge lashing on this board a while ago on my horses, maybe I deserved it, who knows.

His Sire is a horse named Zips Chocolate Chip, and no I did not pay that stud fee, but close :oops: :

http://www.downtherail.com/zipschocolatechip.htm

My mare, his dam, is a daughter of Kay Cee Leaguer. Her dam is a mare that is a full sister to a QH named Triples, a two time western pleasure world champion QH;

http://www.absocold.com/mulick/leaguer.htm

I've been asked a few times about my stud prospect, I'm not bragging just sharing info. So there you have it, please don't beat up on me and my "fancy" horse. He's the best colt I have ever owned and bred, and man is he fun to work :D :D :D .

Alan

Sorry Peg to completly answer your question, the Bay is dominant, so he'll throw mostly bays, maybe some chesnut (sorrel). His/my mare is a red sorrel and is recessive.

Alan

Alan, I truly hope he works out for you. I was just trying to remind you of where I can from with my X-stud. When mine did turn studly I cut him. I could handle him just fine but you just knew, given the chance he would end up hurting someone. That plus I don't have to worry about running him with mares and makes my life easier.

Back in the distant past we had a stud that was the best mannered stud I had seen in a long time. I rode him in parades, shows, rescue, posse's, etc. and all I had to do was talk to him to get his attention. My dad did a job on him but the horse had to have it in him to begin with.

I had 5 mares lined up for breeding to my Idiot but elected to cut him any way. I probably won't be messing with breeding side of this stuff anymore anyway.

Oh, and my nieces daughter rides a stud in the games and she is 11 or 12.

I'm the first to agree that 99.9% of stallions are not for public use. This one falls into that 99.9%, not necessarily because he wouldn't be able to handle it, but because when I ride with a group or another horse, I don't want the added hassle. Also if someone else is on a stallion that I'm riding with I have to keep an eye on that horse also, I just want to enjoy an easy ride, not be on the edge of me seat the whole time. Stallions are a lot of extra work and precautions. You can only geld a horse once, so I believe if the stud prospect meets the first three requirements, he gets to keep his parts until he has earned the right to be gelded.

JMO,
Alan

Well,he looks good and sounds like he acts good. Too many people keep a mean horse 'cause he has "the bloodlines" never mind he throws evil minded foals. Keep us posted on how you get along.You have a good start..

Alan,

You ask for honest opinions so i am going to give you mine for what it is worth. Now i guess it depends on what you are planning on doing with the horse in the future as to wether or not he would make a good horse.

But i want to share something that i have learned about horse's. Rodeo & barrel racing is my wifes whole life more or less. When i met her she had right at 30 horse's some were well trained barrel horse's, some brood mares, some young colts etc...,

I owned 3 trail horse's when i met her. I use to just go trail riding along with alot of my friends from time to time. Over the years i owned quarter horses, paints, & a few gaited horses.

And i really never looked at horses the way i do now until i met my wife and got into helping break and train horses for furturity colts.

I had never even herd of a furturity until about 7 years ago. I am sure you probably know what a furturity is and probably know more than i do.

Anyway we took a young well pedigreed filly who was just turning two and entered her into the Old Fort Days barrel horse furturity in Fort Smith Arkansas. I think they run about 350 2 years olds in that picticular furturity that year. My wife had run in a few furturitys previous to that one.

But i was able to see some really nice horse flesh there and at others since that one. And these horses come from all over the U.S. and in some cases from outside of the U.S.

And i thought the filly that we had selected and trained was a real winner up until i was able to see all of thoes other horses.

So from just what i have seen and learned about horses. Your stud horse looks to be a little small boned and narrow in the chest. When he is standing his front legs dont have much spacing between them. And it looks like he has small hoofs which it looks like he probably got that from the mare. All & all to me he is built more like a mare than a stud.

I myself would not want any foles out of him. And i am not meaning to sound mean or put down your horse. I just think you could do alot better but then again i guess that would depend on what you are planning on doing with him.

But even as far as him being a good looking horse, i dont see it in him. But then again that is just my opinion.

Alan,

Just disregard my above opinion, I am no expert by no means and all that matters is your opinion. If you like him that is all that matters. ;-)

I did not mean to come across like as if i was putting your horse down. But after reading my reply that is exactly how it sounds. And that is not what i was tring to do.

Stepper":1aybki47 said:
Alan,

Just disregard my above opinion, I am no expert by no means and all that matters is your opinion. If you like him that is all that matters. ;-)

I did not mean to come across like as if i was putting your horse down. But after reading my reply that is exactly how it sounds. And that is not what i was tring to do.

No problem Stepper, in fact I didn't read it like you did put him down. I was just waiting to think about my response to your original post without bias, and not trying to sound like all I was doing was sticking up for my horse..... So here it goes;

He is a bit narrow in the chest, but I think that comes from being such a tall youngster, remember he is only 18 months. He is about 14.3 hh now, My mare is very wide in the chest as is a half brother (gelding) I use as my trail horse, 16 hh and right at 1500lbs, I'm 6'3" or 4" (I shrink as I get older :D ) and about 260 lbs. I'm actually very happy with his feet, they seem to be doing fine, rock hard hooves and plenty big enough, the mares feet are very big, I wish I could remember the size shoe she wears, but both have plenty of hoof to support their weight. Because you mentioned not much spacing between the front legs, I assume you were looking at the pic of him at about 10 months and a bit of a side shot. When I posted these pics, I really noticed how much he has developed muscle in the last 8 months, both shoulder and hip, he is still in the tail end of the teenage stage.

Remember pleasure horses are built as different as any speciality horse, such as a cutter or reiner, or even a barrel horse, which many have high percentages of TB blood in them. I doubt my horse could run a barrel pattern in 22 minutes or cut a crazy heifer out of a herd, but they will give the pleasure rider a very smooth ride.

I do appreciate your opinion, and as I told Flaboy, I won't hesitate to cut him as soon as he doesn't reach one of the three criteria I mentioned before (as I did with my last few stud prospects) My Gelding made it to 16 or 17 months before I cut him, a gelding I sold last spring only made it to about a year, nice horse good confirmation, but a mean evil stud... I enjoyed taking those off :D , he by the way is own by a 30 something lady, novice rider who loves him, is is a great gelding, terrible stud.

Thanks again for your honest opinion
Alan

Alan,

I am glad you did not take my opinion wrong. But in the future i am going to make it a habit to to keep my opinions to myself. It is just not worth taking the chance on hurting someones feelings.

I thought i might be doing you a favor by telling you what little experience i have had with horses.

Right now we have a horse that we have tied up alot of money into that i think if we had known more of what to look for in horse. That we would have had a better horse. I guess what i am tring to say is that it is just as easy to tie money up in a good animal as it is one that is not so good. :lol:

The horse that i am speaking of is a philly who is built similiar to your stud horse. She is narrow in the chest, has small hoofs and other things that i dont like about her.

Right now we have that picticular horse at OSU having eye surgery done on it. It developed catracks in one eye. The mare is just turning 8 years old and outrunning alot of $20,000 horse's. The surgery is costing about $2,700.

But since she is just hitting her prime and running descent times arround the barrel pattern. We decided to go ahead and have the work done on her so that our daughter can rodeo off of her.

But it just kind of erks me to tie more and more money up into the little horse when i know she is not a very well put together animal.

This is kind of a sitution where emotions has taken preference over good sense and knowing better. :lol: But it is kind of my own fault because my wife and daughter would have gotten attached to a good quality animal just as much as they did to this one.

And i was the one who made the selection. But at the time i just did not know what to look for in a horse. So now i am having to live with that mistake. But i know more of what to look for now. ;-)

But anyway i wish you the best of luck with your stud horse Alan and i am sure he will work out fine for you. ;-)

Mister Alan.
Im a beten that there pony gives ya a ride liken one O them ther feather pillas gives yur head on a long night. Im also a beten that ifen ya put em ta a race contest come one sunday at noon yur gonna be real proud O the comins out.