My ongoing project

Help Support CattleToday:

wbvs58

Reaction score
My yards at both my blocks I have used what was there when I bought the place and have gradually tried to improve them and replace what was falling down, probably not the best way to go, I should have just bulldozed them and started afresh but I have been using them from day one and have improved them and most of the old timber bits are gone.

During last year I picked up some new gates made for some saleyards from an auction, they are made from galvanised cattle rail each made with 4 lengths of cattle rail 41/2" x11/2". I got 6 gates a bit over 14' for $65 ea. and 4 pair of 10' gates for $135/pair and a few 8'ers for $125/pair. I made a stable for the wife's horse a few months ago and thought I better get my finger out and utilise the rest of them rather than tripping over them as the grass grew up through them so here is what I have been up to. Unfortunately the land has a bit of fall to it so I have had to step them.

I've welded pins on the posts to slip the hinge end over then a plate welded to the other end and fixed to the post with self tapping metal screws most of the force from cattle is outwards so screws will not get the weight on them.

These back yards I'll be using cattle rail along the top and then 5 strands of steel cable, those posts have chain links welded to them to thread the cable through.

Here is a video of a bit of a walk around the yards and I included my sliding gate. I picked it up at another auction a couple years ago and have found it to be a very good gate, the latch and handle just work so smoothly, no track to bump your head on, I wish I had bought a couple more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QftVGX1 ... e=youtu.be

Ken

is your soil really sandy? Thats a very white looking soil.

ddd75":9wge374w said:
is your soil really sandy? Thats a very white looking soil.

Yes it is sandy but not as bad as it looks there. It is granite country and that area is pretty dry at the moment and the post hole digger was grinding away on a lot of decomposed granite after about 9". The bit I am working on at the moment is a bit of a challenge with solid rock just below the surface, I am chipping away at it with the bar trying to get some depth but will probably chemset some anchors into the rock and then use a diagonal brace at the rear and top off the hole with concrete, the anchors will stop the posts from lifting and the brace should make it as stiff as a bridegrooms penis. You have to be very innovative fencing in this country.

My soil is poor but it is good in the wet, no mud yet my calves grow second to none.

Ken

Bright Raven":2rkuhnse said:
Very crafty. That galvanized rail is perfect.

I like the curtains on your alley.

Great job!

That stuff is called Polybelt and is a vinyl sheeting and comes in rolls, easy to put up with teck screws and washers and is pretty tough and lasts well, I have some of it up for over 10 years now and shoeing no signs of deterioration.

Ken

M-5":fbw1q4z4 said:
Looks good , you don't have issues with them trying to root out under the fence?

Not tried and tested yet but I doubt it, these yards are for the bulls so I was mainly after the height rather than low though I doubt that I would have trouble with calves if need be. The bulls and cows and calves are well handled aren't that desperate to get out of any yards, if the situation was different with lightly handled cattle I might be tempted to put in another rail. I will let you know if I have issues.

Ken

wbvs58":36ii3znl said:
M-5":36ii3znl said:
Looks good , you don't have issues with them trying to root out under the fence?

Not tried and tested yet but I doubt it, these yards are for the bulls so I was mainly after the height rather than low though I doubt that I would have trouble with calves if need be. The bulls and cows and calves are well handled aren't that desperate to get out of any yards, if the situation was different with lightly handled cattle I might be tempted to put in another rail. I will let you know if I have issues.

Ken

I have an area that I put the calves in that has a high lower rail. On occasion, one will look to see if it can get under but none have tried.

Latest posts