My New Summer Projects *Pictures*

Help Support CattleToday:

rangergirl56m

Reaction score
This is Doug and Dave, my two bull calves that were born yesterday. I'm excited to spend the summer with them :-D

untitled1.jpg

untitled-2.jpg

Cute! :D

BUT, get 'em cut quick before they cause trouble. I've heard too many stories on here about pet bull calves becoming holy terrors - the killin' kind, that is.

Start them young and train them as oxen. A lot of fun and they'll be far less prone to develop attitude problems

I am only keeping them until the end of Aug. Then off to auction they go. I manage a petting zoo during the summer and one of the things we have is bottle fed calves. I don't think it's the best idea, I'd perfer bottlefed lambs over calves but the higher ups tell me what to do and I really don't have any say at all. It also help me keep from being homesick for the dairy while I'm gone for the summer! They will be getting cut, no question there.

I'm not sure what the birthweights are...didn't check. Both were born without assistance...the one with the white face came out of a cow, and the other one was out of a heifer. My boss is supposed to get back to me today to let me know who the sire was, I'm really curious.

Great looking calves! Holstein bull calves get real friendly when they are bottle fed-seems like they might push the kids around in a petting zoo though!

jonbri55":b1wtgd9e said:
Great looking calves! Holstein bull calves get real friendly when they are bottle fed-seems like they might push the kids around in a petting zoo though!

They can when they get a little bit bigger, thats why they aren't kept in the main pen that the kids go in. If kids are petting one of them it means that they are on a halter and lead rope and one of my zoo crew staff guys is right there holding them. You would be amazed though at the number of kids that come in and have NO idea what animal they are. It's really kind of sad in some ways. Last year the calves got called sheep, horses, and pigs. Alot of these kids from the city have never seen a calf before so it is kind of cool for them.

rangergirl56m wrote:
You would be amazed though at the number of kids that come in and have NO idea what animal they are. It's really kind of sad in some ways. Last year the calves got called sheep, horses, and pigs. A lot of these kids from the city have never seen a calf before so it is kind of cool for them.

First of all congrats on your two new additions. They are very cute .It is a good thing that there are petting zoo's and such around ,I think that children need to see things up close and really get an idea of what the animals are.

TNMasterBeefProducer":15ig29bh said:
rangergirl56m":15ig29bh said:
jonbri55":15ig29bh said:

They can when they get a little bit bigger, thats why they aren't kept in the main pen that the kids go in. If kids are petting one of them it means that they are on a halter and lead rope and one of my zoo crew staff guys is right there holding them. You would be amazed though at the number of kids that come in and have NO idea what animal they are. It's really kind of sad in some ways. Last year the calves got called sheep, horses, and pigs. Alot of these kids from the city have never seen a calf before so it is kind of cool for them.

Like someone holding a halter is going to be able to control a mean ole holstein bull or steer. If you truely believe that you are living in a dream world.

Somehow I doubt they'll grow that big or that mean before the end of summer, but I might be wrong.

For some reason there is a misconception about the breed and I wish people would go to a dairy just once and see the breed in action. Holsteins are actually very smart and very easy to train.

I have never had a problem ever with a Holstein bottle calf and that was always the first place my nieces (or anyone that was from the city) wanted to go when they came to our dairy ,the calf barn with the hutches. :)

Plus rangergirl is a dairy gal I think she knows what she is doing.

hillsdown":yr3vuq1c said:
For some reason there is a misconception about the breed and I wish people would go to a dairy just once and see the breed in action. Holsteins are actually very smart and very easy to train.

I have never had a problem ever with a Holstein bottle calf and that was always the first place my nieces (or anyone that was from the city) wanted to go when they came to our dairy ,the calf barn with the hutches. :)

Plus rangergirl is a dairy gal I think she knows what she is doing.

I too have raised hundreds of holstein calves and have never encountered an agressive calf, not even bull calves. Bottle raised Holstein bulls do get a bit grumpy as they get older, but so do jersey bulls, I am quite sure that most beef breed bulls will get the same way if they were bottle raised.

Most dairy bulls only really get aggressive after 3 years old.

TNMasterBeefProducer":39tfg42y said:
Like someone holding a halter is going to be able to control a mean ole holstein bull or steer. If you truely believe that you are living in a dream world.

You must be a beef guy ;-) For the most part Holsteins really don't start getting unpredictable until they are about 2 or 3 years old and even then it depends on the bull...and yes, a halter is enough to control a 2 month old calf. It's not like these are vicious cattle that want to impale you and beat you into the ground. They are babies for heaven's sake! Besides, if you properly halter break an animal you shouldn't have to worry about it being a problem anyway.

Knersie":39tfg42y said:
Somehow I doubt they'll grow that big or that mean before the end of summer, but I might be wrong.

Camp ends Aug 16th. They really wont be big enough that they will be unhandleable.

hillsdown":39tfg42y said:

I feel the same way. Holsteins are probably my favorite cattle to work with. I've worked with others including both other dairy and beef breeds and I swear some of them are as dumb as a box of rocks. As a general rule of thumb, yes dairy bulls can be unpredictable and aggressive at times, but usually not until they are older.

those are some nice looking hol bull calves.an being babies they wont hurt any1.now they may knock the kids down licking an sucking on them an their clothes.but they dont have meaness in them at that age.

Latest posts