My new bull

Help Support CattleToday:

That's what an angus bull is supposed to look like! If I had to pick one out for myself, (and didn't have to write the cheque myself), he is pretty much what I would have picked.

Wow, thank all you guys. My biggest worry was he looked short to me. Keren may be right that his depth makes him look short to me. My other genetics were longer animals, and less depth.
Got to say 'nother thing, been raising cattle forever, and actually read other posts on CT and listened to them. I was going the wrong way with my cattle chasing the premiums at the feedlot. I realized other people don't grain and baby their cows into condition,even tho' around here it's the norm with the avialvability of grain. This is the second bull I have changed to some of the OCC background, and recently bought 25 females. Bill Conley at Conley angus has become my mentor, and likes to spend my money on cattle.
Selling 35 head of 2.3.4 yearolds Monday to change direction. No that's wrong cuz' I already have chased two in with the keepers cuz' I couldn't part with them. No more feedbucket or 1800 lb. cows. The smallest Raven heifer was standing next to my biggest cow, an 8 year old, the other day and I thought," That cow has raised a calf that big." Not really, but there was a difference. Now I gotta' figure how many 4-5 frame cows I can run on the same pasture as the 7-8-9 frames ran on. Gonna' pay around 3k or a little more for the bull. Thank you all again, didn't expect all postives. gs

if he breeds like he looks he was worth every penny, and then some.

I really like the bull - as Keren said - the front view tells you a lot.
Bill Conley - tell him I said HI
Macho_-_Louisville_WEB_w_frame.JPG

Bill judged our Macho As U bull & fell in love with him. He ended up with him in his showstring down in Louisville for us. Great guy. He would be a great MENTOR!!! You're lucky.

A balanced complete bull. :cboy:

When will he be turned out with cows?

Did he have a Breeding Soundness Evaluation test done?
If so by the looks of him my guess is he would have scored well. :tiphat:

3waycross":y6uf4k4i said:
Very nice bull Greg. I like the way he looks like a safe with a leg on all four corners. Tremendous capacity. Great depth.

I like that way of describing a bull - very clear picture!

And Greg, congratulations on the change in direction in frame size. I think running smaller cows but highly efficient cows makes sense across breeds for many of us part timers especially.

What I am seeing again this winter is that hay consumption (=input) is pretty much in direct proportion to a cows weight.

However 205 day calf weaning weights (=output) are clearly NOT in direct proportion to a cows weight.

For those of us with limited resources the direction to take seems pretty clear, in my opinion.

Congratulations again on the bull.

Jim

That's why the friend unloaded him.............:)

If so by the looks of him my guess is he would have scored well. :tiphat:[/quote]

I suppose every once in a while a looker like this bull doesn't score well or even fails?

Kingfisher":25m0h3ig said:

I suppose every once in a while a looker like this bull doesn't score well or even fails?[/quote]

I would assume that must high dollar bull sales like this are sold contingent upon the bull passing a BSE ?

Kingfisher":poysqa3l said:

I suppose every once in a while a looker like this bull doesn't score well or even fails?

I would assume that most high dollar bull sales like this are sold contingent upon the bull passing a BSE ? I would also assume if the bull has not had one that Greg would get one done ASAP.

Jim

SRBeef":gyn0y5bd said:
Kingfisher":gyn0y5bd said:

I would assume that must high dollar bull sales like this are sold contingent upon the bull passing a BSE ?

Yes, a bull have to pass a BSE here in the 3rd world, no idea how it works in the 1st.

SRBeef":1qc0t33v said:
Kingfisher":1qc0t33v said:

Do you need a BSE on a bull you pay a lot for? I thought the price and how fancy a sale it is was an indication of how fertile they are! Boy, do I got more to learn. Ok here's my smilies :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: gs

Greg, I would check with the seller and get a copy of the vet's RECENT BSE - or write that as contingency on your check. If there is no problem the seller should have no issue with you having a BSE done before writing the check. IF the seller puts up a fuss then I would get worried. Get one done or look at a recent one before you get too attached to that bull. jmho. Jim

SRBeef":3qbpsttw said:
3waycross":3qbpsttw said:
Very nice bull Greg. I like the way he looks like a safe with a leg on all four corners. Tremendous capacity. Great depth.

I like that way of describing a bull - very clear picture!

And Greg, congratulations on the change in direction in frame size. I think running smaller cows but highly efficient cows makes sense across breeds for many of us part timers especially.

What I am seeing again this winter is that hay consumption (=input) is pretty much in direct proportion to a cows weight.

However 205 day calf weaning weights (=output) are clearly NOT in direct proportion to a cows weight.

For those of us with limited resources the direction to take seems pretty clear, in my opinion.

Congratulations again on the bull.

Jim

I would have a hard time kicking him out of my pasture .. ;-)
That is one of the best Blk Angus bulls or even a bull for that matter, I have seen posted here in a while. Be sure to post pics when you have calves on the ground from him Greg

Latest posts