My New Beefmaster Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

East Caney

Reaction score
I said I'd post my bull when I got a good picture...well, I guess this is about as good as it gets. He's Lasater 6309. I welcome all comments...I've put on my thick skin. :D Seriously, I think he's good. If I could improve him, I'd start by taking a bit of the flex from his hind legs. I'd follow that up with improving the attachment of his sheath into the navel so the angle appears more forward. Third, I'd add just a touch of bone. Even still, I think he's a step in the right direction.

DSCN3015.jpg

What do you think?

now thats a goodlooking bull.you can tell he has lassiter breeding behind him.as well as their trademark horn tipping.i see he has a knott on his side or neck tho.

His sheath aint all that bad EC.

You mentioned a step in the right direction. I don't truly know where you are with your herd. This bull would be something I would use to expand with, in this climate.

bigbull338":3nq9pjmp said:
now thats a goodlooking bull.you can tell he has lassiter breeding behind him.as well as their trademark horn tipping.i see he has a knott on his side or neck tho.

That's an injection site where he received a vaccination.

EC

backhoeboogie":vomifodj said:
His sheath aint all that bad EC.

You mentioned a step in the right direction. I don't truly know where you are with your herd. This bull would be something I would use to expand with, in this climate.

I wouldn't call it a bad sheath...I just wouldn't call it a good sheath either. There's definitely no fear of the old problem of bulls injuring themselves due to the sheath being too pendulous. However, purebred breeders like a more straight forward angle.

Could you elaborate on your idea of using this type of bull to "expand with"?

EC

East Caney":3bkm6egd said:

EC

Retaining heifers out of him to expand my herd with. I am in need of another 50 to 100 cows.

That breed is well suited for this climate. When it is 110 during the day and 80 degrees over night, their milk production doesn't miss a beat. Brangus is my number one choice but I have recently purchased some beefmasters and traded hay for some other beefmaster heifers. They cut the mustard here in Texas. Got some folks I know running them and I have been paying attention.

I still need another 100 head or so. Are you looking to increase numbers too?

EC[/quote]

Retaining heifers out of him to expand my herd with. I am in need of another 50 to 100 cows.

That breed is well suited for this climate. When it is 110 during the day and 80 degrees over night, their milk production doesn't miss a beat. Brangus is my number one choice but I have recently purchased some beefmasters and traded hay for some other beefmaster heifers. They cut the mustard here in Texas. Got some folks I know running them and I have been paying attention.

I still need another 100 head or so. Are you looking to increase numbers too?[/quote]

You got that right... not too many breeds can perform like those beefmasters in the heat of the summer.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way, and I hope you use it for his heifers your retaining, but if I was going to change this bull I'd give him a stronger top and have him carry some more muscle down into the lower 1/3 of his hindquarter. I think that would bring his flank down as well. It wouldn't hurt for him to be deeper chested, and (although I'm on a wide screen) I think he could still benefit from some more thickness and depth of rib. In no way am I saying that he's shallow bodied, but there are definitely thicker made Beefmaster cattle. I'd say he's a pretty solid bull that could have the possibility of having some decent calves. Is he a cleanup bull, or will he be taking care of the whole herd? When you breed his daughters make sure they are bred to a bull that will maximize this sires good traits and at the same time minimize his bad or lacking ones. However, as you probably know thats easier said than done most times. ;-)

CPL":yen76wrx said:
I hope you don't take this the wrong way, and I hope you use it for his heifers your retaining, but if I was going to change this bull I'd give him a stronger top and have him carry some more muscle down into the lower 1/3 of his hindquarter. I think that would bring his flank down as well. It wouldn't hurt for him to be deeper chested, and (although I'm on a wide screen) I think he could still benefit from some more thickness and depth of rib. In no way am I saying that he's shallow bodied, but there are definitely thicker made Beefmaster cattle. I'd say he's a pretty solid bull that could have the possibility of having some decent calves. Is he a cleanup bull, or will he be taking care of the whole herd? When you breed his daughters make sure they are bred to a bull that will maximize this sires good traits and at the same time minimize his bad or lacking ones. However, as you probably know thats easier said than done most times. ;-)

CPL,

I hope you didn't want an argument, because I'm going to do a really poor job of giving one. Here it goes...I agree. I have seen bulls with stronger tops (though this picture enhances very minor weakness in person), deeper chests, more thickness, and better hindquarters (picture angle slights the bull somewhat). Of course, if we made all those changes to this particular bull, I wouldn't be able to post a picture of him, because I wouldn't own him. He would've probably been significantly higher than I could afford. I do still think everything about him is adequate. He will be the main herd bull. I am having pretty serious thoughts of AI-ing my heifers. And, I will do my best to use a semen bull (or my next bull) that will enhance the qualities of this bull while adding more. I appreciate your thoughts.

EC

skyline":evjg56ld said:
EC, I agree with Boogie. He'll work great for you. Looking forward to pictures of his first calves.

I'm sorry to make you wait so long. I have 4 cows with fall calves on them, though, so we should only be waiting another year to see his babies...probably no real idea of the quality until Spring 2010 (sounds so far away).

EC

backhoeboogie":276k2lzo said:
East Caney":276k2lzo said:

EC

I still need another 100 head or so. Are you looking to increase numbers too?

I thought that's what you meant...just wanted to make sure. I do want to increase my numbers also. The problem right now is simply finding land to do it. I take a pretty simple approach to life though... "If it is meant to happen, it will happen."

EC

skyline":163r4xr0 said:
EC, I agree with Boogie. He'll work great for you. Looking forward to pictures of his first calves.

Here's the first calf...born 7/25/09, pictured on 8/11/09 (17 days old). I've also attached an updated picture of the bull.

DSCN4628.jpg

DSCN4627.jpg

DSCN4752.jpg

i see he has a knott on his side or neck tho[/b].[/quote]

That's an injection site where he received a vaccination.

If that is an injection not they need to review BQA guidelines.

Nice looking bull. From what I understand there is Lasater Beefmasters in Colorado and also Texas. Are these two separate breeders ?

Latest posts