My new baby, Molly

Help Support CattleToday:

I use Y Tex Brute pour on. It's made for cattle including lactating cows. You pour the amount measured by the bottle according to their weight. Flies leave them alone for two or three weeks. It's those dadgummed horn flies, the hundreds of little bitting flies that drive them crazy. They can lose weight fighting flies. I use it on my horses too. You are not supposed to saddle and ride them for 24 hours after application. You can buy it online valleyvet and such places and they mail it to you.
47403_L_vvs_000.jpg

You're right, Joe IS getting big. And wide. All that milk! Molly still looks very good, I think. I did take some pictures just the other day, because I realized I hadn't in such a long time! So here you go:

08-10-23 Molly and Joe 01.JPG

08-10-23 Molly 01.JPG

It's really a shame Joe's not a heifer because LOOK! He's already stanchion-trained! ;)

08-10-23 Joe 02.JPG

Look at that butt... the picture doesn't really communicate how WIDE he is from side to side, especially right after his breakfast.
08-10-23 Joe 06.JPG

We got him a toy, too. I looked and looked until I found a play ball that I thought might hold up to a steer calf's rough play, and I finally found one. So far, so good. Here he is at the first meeting:

08-12-23 Joe and the ball 01.JPG

(And by the way, that's Molly's first halter he's wearing. We had to burn some extra holes in it, but dangit, he's growing so fast!)

Then outside. He'll play with it a little by himself, but he really enjoys having a partner. His "grampa" (Rich is absolutely smitten with this little guy) will spend time out there kicking the ball to him, and Joe very carefully noses it back to Rich, and they go back and forth like this for a long time. I laughed and laughed when I saw that commercial on TV with the two Holstein cows playing ball, rolling that big blue ball to each other, but it's TRUE! They DO play ball!

08-12-23 Joe and the ball 05.JPG

08-12-23 Joe and the ball 08.JPG

08-12-23 Joe and the ball 11.JPG

Just about then, the ball (which is underinflated slightly, for less chance of poppage), shot out from under Joe's head and rolled away a bit. He was SO frustrated that it got away again, he had to kill the grass.

08-12-23 Joe and the ball 12.JPG

I went and kicked the ball across the pen to see if he'd chase it, and he did, but either the ball said or did something scary, or maybe it was the guineas just outside the pen, but SOMETHING scared the bejeebers out of him.

08-12-23 Joe and the ball 14.JPG
Calves crack me up, they're like kittens when they're playing. Anything can be a scary monster! :ROFLMAO:

I'm so glad he's playing with his ball now, instead of my knees. :) I hate having to whack him every time he presses on me, but that's a BAD habit, LOL! He's gonna be around a while, and he's going to end up bigger than Molly, so I can't have him pushing on me. The ball doesn't care, though, so he can play and push that to his heart's content.

Molly, of course, being above "playing" with an inanimate object, ignores it, which is probably a good thing. If SHE pushed it with her horns, she might pop it. But she's a good girl, she just lets her kid play while she snacks on grass and wild mallow.

08-12-23 Molly 01.JPG

Joe is such a character, and he's becoming every bit as sweet as his momma. I know no one will believe this, but it's true, swear to God - I can pull him off when he's nursing now, and lead him back to his stall, and he doesn't argue at all. It's the routine he's known since day one, so it's "what we do" every morning. I love that cows love routine as much as I do, LOL! In fact, sometimes all I do is say, "C'mon, Joe" and he disengages on his own and turns around and heads into the stall. Like I wouldn't even NEED the lead rope (but you know if I didn't have it, he wouldn't be so cooperative, LOL!) It's a good thing, now, because I don't have to wrestle a big calf, but it makes me wonder if he's going to be an early weaner. Like, will I still have his milking services late into the winter? Or not? Sometimes the calves just decide they like hay or grass better, and stop nursing. He's at his peak right now, at just under three months. This is why I like fall calves better - they're still hungry for milk all winter. Well, we'll see. I'm sure everything will turn out OK.

Oh, funny story about pulling him off Molly. The other morning, I didn't notice, but he'd gotten the noseband of his halter off his nose, and in his mouth, like a horse's bit. I didn't even see that. I let him out of his stall and he ran to his mom and started nursing, but he was hunting around and not settling on his usual quarter. When I went to clip the lead on him is when I saw the thing in his mouth, all foamy and wet, OMG. I grabbed his nose with one hand and pulled the noseband out of his mouth and back up where it belonged with the other hand, and he thought I was telling him to go back to his stall already. So he went, and that's the only time in the past month I've had a wild calf on the end of my lead rope. I was trying to pull him back to Molly and he was trying to go back in his stall like a good boy. I finally let him, and pushed the stall door shut, then opened it right back up again, and BAM, he ran right back to his mom. Routine. Routine. LOL!

I am having the time of my life with these two. They're the two nicest bovines I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. Stinker (the loaner Hereford) is still VERY nice as well, but I can't get attached to her because she's not mine. Molly and Joe, however, are the light of my life. I've never had a cow as nice (and CLEAN!) as Molly, and I've had calves that were playful like Joe, but not many were as well trained as he is. One other, maybe. He's just a great little steer. :) Molly's no slouch, either, in the training department. Or the routine department, I should say. She does everything right, and I never have to go fetch her from the pasture anymore for milking. If she's not already waiting in the barn, I just call her, then go about getting everything ready, and she's in the barn waiting for her treats by the time I'm finished mixing them up. I love both of them so much!

Whew, that was a lot! Well, it's been a while since I updated, and YOU ASKED, LOL! ;)

I loved every minute of that post!!!

Molly looks AMAZING !
And I just knew Joe was growing like a weed. He's a big boy already. The ball seems like a kool trick to keep him occupied too. I've always got several calves so they can occupy themselves.

I'm so glad everything has come along so swimmingly. It's been an adventure and I've enjoyed it from the beginning

Yeah, I went back and re-read the first couple pages of this thread, and she's a totally different cow now. She was a scrawny, rough-looking little baby when she first got here, scared of her own shadow, and now she's a sleek, beautiful, confident momma cow (and what a good momma she is), spoiled rottener than rotten!

My heart swells when I see her loving her baby boy. This morning, for instance, right after I put fly spray all over him (just orange oil and skin-so-soft in vinegar/water), she very tenderly and thoroughly licked it all off his face and neck. There's a reason he's so shiny - she is constantly licking him and taking care of him. He's got some skeeter bites under his neck (I could feel them when I was scritching him just a few minutes earlier), and they're VERY itchy, so when I was scratching him, he had his nose pointed straight up, so I could get all the itchy parts, then when Molly was licking him, he did the same thing, so her rough tongue could scratch him some more. I wish I'd had the camera out with me today, it was ADORABLE. But maybe he wouldn't have the skeeter bites if she didn't wash off his fly spray (which also repels mosquitos). Can't make her understand that, she just needs to lick her baby and make him nice and shiny, LOL!

I taped Joe yesterday morning and he tapes out at 350 pounds. He'll be four months old in a couple days. Is that a good weight for his age, being 3/4 beefer? He seems chunky enough, but I dunno, I thought he'd weigh a little more than that by now. Last time he stepped on my foot, it FELT like more. :rolleyes: 'Course, it could just be me, getting older and less tolerant of boy calves stepping on my foot.

The "part Jersey" part of him will keep him a little lighter than you think he should be if he was all beef... But that still is a good overall weight for him.... Most calves I figure avg 75-100 lbs per month of age (including their birth weight) so a 4 month calf is going to weigh in the 3-400 lb range on a nurse cow that is getting all he wants. He will have a slightly lighter bone structure and density than a straight beef calf...
And the tapes do not fully allow for milk fed fat either.... still I'd say it is about right.

Well, he certainly LOOKS well fed. And he's just full of spunk. I'm glad I taught him some manners when he was a little kid. ;)

Oh, and I don't think I mentioned it yet, but I suck at banding. I had both testicles in the band at the beginning, then I let go of the bander and it closed on him, making him jump, and he ran around Molly with the bander dangling from his scrotum. I got it off, eventually, after some wiggling, but somewhere in there while I was trying to get the bander off him, his right testicle sucked back up out of the band. I was so sure they were both in there, I never checked. Lesson learned.

I happened to be looking at him from the back a couple weeks ago, and noticed a swelling on the right side of where his scrotum used to be, so I gave it a feel, and dang it, it's smooth and round and feels just like a missed testicle. So he's technically still a bull, although with it up inside his abdomen, he might not be able to breed anybody. I dunno. There's the option of seeing if the vet can do a surgical castration at this point, but I really don't trust the competency of our vet, so that will be a last resort kind of thing.

I spoke to the neighbor (Stinky's owner) about maybe trading Joe for Stinky, once he's weaned, and then we could keep Stinky as Molly's companion and I wouldn't have to deal with a bull (even a nice bull) knocking down gates and overturning water troughs and other fun stuff like that. She (the neighbor) said she's not worried about when or if she gets Stinky back, so we could talk about it around the end of winter, or whenever I need to unload Joe. I think that's a good idea. Then later on, if we need to beef Stinky, we can do so with no reservations, or if we don't need the beef, and no longer need a "pet," we can just give her back to the neighbor. She's very well behaved, though, so I like having her around, but once Molly has a heifer calf, I'll be keeping her (I think) as a backup milker and someone to raise a calf for us every year, so we wouldn't actually NEED Stinky anymore. Eh, there are options, so whatever works is what will work, I guess.

I have the best neighbors. :)

That is why I try and band em while they are still wet!
Even then they can require some wrestling.

I have put a halter on some bigger calves and tie em off. While they are fighting being tied up, it's pretty easy to get a band on em. Your lucky he was so cooperative at his age. Being as your the mama tho. I bet he was pretty easy going about it all. Aside from jumping to the moon and back. 🤣

Yeah, he was nursing when I did it. He was thinking about NOTHING but milk at the moment, so I figured it was a good time. He didn't pay any attention to me fiddling around behind him until the rubber band and the tool's teeth snapped shut on him, THEN he noticed, LOL! Well, anyway, it's an expensive lesson, maybe in dollars and maybe just in stress, but expensive nevertheless. IF I try banding again, I know now I should roll the band off the teeth, not just let it snap shut, and preferably, have a helper so I can use both hands to get the band off properly.

And by the way, when I measure the calves (or cows) for weight, I use the heart girth times the heart girth times the length, divided by 300. It's usually pretty accurate. Joe's heart girth is 50 inches and his length is 42. I think that accounts for "fat" or anyway the bulk of the animal, being the length will be a bit longer on a fatter calf. It's pretty close, considering I don't have access to a scale, and when we take someone to the sale barn and they DO get weighed, it's usually within 25 pounds or so of my "taped" estimate. I use a dairy/beef weight tape, but only because it's long enough, and it's made of Tyvek, so aside from one end being chewed off by one of the dogs, it works great and is mostly indestructible. Mostly. (It was the far end of the tape that was chewed, thankfully. Now I keep that tape in a cabinet in the barn with a door that closes.)

Yeah, he was nursing when I did it. He was thinking about NOTHING but milk at the moment, so I figured it was a good time. He didn't pay any attention to me fiddling around behind him until the rubber band and the tool's teeth snapped shut on him, THEN he noticed, LOL! Well, anyway, it's an expensive lesson, maybe in dollars and maybe just in stress, but expensive nevertheless. IF I try banding again, I know now I should roll the band off the teeth, not just let it snap shut, and preferably, have a helper so I can use both hands to get the band off properly.

And by the way, when I measure the calves (or cows) for weight, I use the heart girth times the heart girth times the length, divided by 300. It's usually pretty accurate. Joe's heart girth is 50 inches and his length is 42. I think that accounts for "fat" or anyway the bulk of the animal, being the length will be a bit longer on a fatter calf. It's pretty close, considering I don't have access to a scale, and when we take someone to the sale barn and they DO get weighed, it's usually within 25 pounds or so of my "taped" estimate. I use a dairy/beef weight tape, but only because it's long enough, and it's made of Tyvek, so aside from one end being chewed off by one of the dogs, it works great and is mostly indestructible. Mostly. (It was the far end of the tape that was chewed, thankfully. Now I keep that tape in a cabinet in the barn with a door that closes.)
I bet he's just the right size. Sounds like he is doing great!!
Eleanors born full jersey weighed 100lb at 3 months. That'll p--- ya off!!

Edited to add
Another thing I do, is straddle em backwards sometimes and shove their nose in a corner. I can usually control a smaller calf by squeezing my legs together. Just work around the tail and upside down. ALWAYS count to two.
Twas either @Silver or @gcreekrch that told me about using one prong to peel the band back off if ya only get one. Maybe it was @kenny thomas I can't remember now!

Calves that are more than a day or two old are something too feisty for that tho and I gotta use the halter. Don't put your face to the side of em. Good way to get kicked. Even at an early age they learn that real quick. Behind is safest. Just hope they ain't got the squirts!! 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
Hey, the one-prong idea is a good one. I was told if that happened again to cut the band and start over but then I was wondering HOW WOULD I CUT THE BAND without cutting him? Well, hopefully I won't have to band anymore calves. I much prefer when the neighbor cuts them. That's "4-imprint certain." (I watch too many commercials, LOL!) He would have done this one for me if he'd been younger when he goes over there.

Although... since I learned about the sock hanger trick, why shouldn't I band them? If I do it when they're a day or two old, and use the sock hanger to make SURE both testicles stay on the down-low, it should work perfectly fine. I just made a beginner mistake, but it was a doozy.

Hey, the one-prong idea is a good one. I was told if that happened again to cut the band and start over but then I was wondering HOW WOULD I CUT THE BAND without cutting him? Well, hopefully I won't have to band anymore calves. I much prefer when the neighbor cuts them. That's "4-imprint certain." (I watch too many commercials, LOL!) He would have done this one for me if he'd been younger when he goes over there.

Although... since I learned about the sock hanger trick, why shouldn't I band them? If I do it when they're a day or two old, and use the sock hanger to make SURE both testicles stay on the down-low, it should work perfectly fine. I just made a beginner mistake, but it was a doozy.
Don't feel bad .
I sold a red one that I'm pretty certain had a belly nut. That's how we learn! I've gotten to where I feel em after the band is on. It's pretty obvious if ya got two.

Sock hanger huh?
I've heard of a plain ol rubber band for temporary use. Interesting!

I agree on the cutting the band off. May as well just knife cut and be done. I'd dang sure want tetanus done tho

I've never done tetanus for knife castration. I heard it was necessary for banding, I guess because of the slow dying-off of tissue and such... but my neighbor (the one that castrates for me) said tetanus would only be necessary if the calf was in a dirty place or there was a lot of "junk" around, and our place was clean enough we didn't need to worry about it. So I didn't. I sprayed for flies morning and night, to keep them off the wound area, and there was no problem. The sac fell off and there was clean skin underneath, and now the hair has grown back and it looks like he never had a scrotum, except for that tell-tale bulge on one side. :cautious:

Don't listen to your neighbor. Tetanus is in the ground - if it's there - and can survive for many, many years. It does not have to be a dirty place or have rusty metal.
I band at birth, or occasionally one up to maybe 200# - no tetanus shot. But older than that, we cut - no shot needed.

OK, I'm confused. You said tetanus is endemic. OK, granted, so they should always get a shot? But then you say you band and cut with no shot? Or am I misreading something there?

I listen to my neighbor because he has a big Angus ranch and has been doing this literally his entire life, and he's older than I am, so that's a long time, LOL! He breeds cows worth tens of thousands of dollars, so I assumed he sort of knows what he's doing. But I'm not a big Angus breeder, and I've only had milk cows for 17 years or so, so I'm still a beginner and always wanting to learn more.

Tetanus is out there. Usually needs a break in the skin to enter the body. Banding calves works well, but occasionally when the sack drops off there is a small sore(it's not infected) or open spot were the sack was connected, it heals quickly.
I don't know if you vaccinate with any of the basic 7-way or 8-way vaccines, but some of those(Covexin -8) contain the tetanus prevention.

The first vet I ever was acquainted with instilled in me that the cost of vaccination is a very inexpensive preventative.

A lot of calves/lambs have survived without vaccination. But if it worries you vaccinate. And like you said your neighbor is well versed in these things, so good source of suggestions.

OK, I'm confused. You said tetanus is endemic. OK, granted, so they should always get a shot? But then you say you band and cut with no shot? Or am I misreading something there?

I listen to my neighbor because he has a big Angus ranch and has been doing this literally his entire life, and he's older than I am, so that's a long time, LOL! He breeds cows worth tens of thousands of dollars, so I assumed he sort of knows what he's doing. But I'm not a big Angus breeder, and I've only had milk cows for 17 years or so, so I'm still a beginner and always wanting to learn more.
Banding doesn't break the skin, and this is one of the reasons to have a calving season when there is snow on the ground.

Yeah... it's different when it's just one milk cow as opposed to a whole beef herd. No winter calvings for me, because I have to milk the cow. The calf has to be old enough to milk for me if there's a blizzard or it goes below -10F, so I like them to be born in the fall. This one is an oops calf, so I'm having to kind of wing it. It took a full two months before he was able to keep Molly empty if I didn't milk for a day. And next year (and ever after) she'll make even more milk than she is in her heifer year, so it's important for me to have a backup in the cold weather.

I think I'm gonna have to take her to see the bull sooner than I really wanted to, though. Joe is starting to think his mom's milking treats (pellet and beet pulp mash) is pretty darned tasty. Day before yesterday, when I let him out of his stall to start nursing, he went right past the milk bar and stuck his head in underneath Molly's in the headlock and started eating her pellets. I got him pulled out and re-directed to the teats, but this is a bad sign. He might be becoming unreliable as a backup milker, so if I'm going to leave Molly for several days with a bull, it should be soon, before Joe loses interest in milk completely. And if he does, I'll probably have to dry her off for the remainder of the winter and buy milk again until her next calving... I hate the thought, but that's what happens with an early "oops" calf, I guess. If I re-breed her in the next few weeks, it will still be a summer calf, but at least the next calf won't be as old as Joe is when winter sets in, so it should be a better bet for a backup.