My new baby, Molly

Help Support CattleToday:

Yeah... it's different when it's just one milk cow as opposed to a whole beef herd. No winter calvings for me, because I have to milk the cow. The calf has to be old enough to milk for me if there's a blizzard or it goes below -10F, so I like them to be born in the fall. This one is an oops calf, so I'm having to kind of wing it. It took a full two months before he was able to keep Molly empty if I didn't milk for a day. And next year (and ever after) she'll make even more milk than she is in her heifer year, so it's important for me to have a backup in the cold weather.

I think I'm gonna have to take her to see the bull sooner than I really wanted to, though. Joe is starting to think his mom's milking treats (pellet and beet pulp mash) is pretty darned tasty. Day before yesterday, when I let him out of his stall to start nursing, he went right past the milk bar and stuck his head in underneath Molly's in the headlock and started eating her pellets. I got him pulled out and re-directed to the teats, but this is a bad sign. He might be becoming unreliable as a backup milker, so if I'm going to leave Molly for several days with a bull, it should be soon, before Joe loses interest in milk completely. And if he does, I'll probably have to dry her off for the remainder of the winter and buy milk again until her next calving... I hate the thought, but that's what happens with an early "oops" calf, I guess. If I re-breed her in the next few weeks, it will still be a summer calf, but at least the next calf won't be as old as Joe is when winter sets in, so it should be a better bet for a backup.
Don't do it! Noooooooo
Say it ain't so!

Gurl...
U better get you a newborn and let her stay in milk for 10 months.
Wean lil Joe and feed him a little. That newborn after being on Mollie for 3 months is CASH FLOW.

And! If ya get the new calf bonded (be real easy to do with your setup!)
You can still let her raise it AND get bred!

I know.. I know.....
But it really ain't no work at all!

@MurraysMutts said exactly what I was going to say just better. Just having done this myself recently I can say it is so worth the few weeks (or less) of work to get a calf or calves grafted on. I am so thankful we decided to do it in this similar situation. I opted to graft on 2 smaller calves (if you haven't read the thread on it) so I can get away with continuing to milk once a week or as needed for our house milk. We are long done with butter and cheese making for the season. I will probably wean one of the two calves around 3-4 months pending how our cow is doing (first lactation also) and leave the other on to 6 months when it will be time to dry our cow up. I am completely happy with the decision especially because now this cow should be able to do this in future lactations. Hopefully a bit quicker but either way she's raising a set of whopper calves. One of which we may keep as a nurse cow (not the original plan for her). @MurraysMutts and @farmerjan are phenomenal support if you need advice in the process. I don't think I would have been as successful with this cow's graft had they not generously offered advice. Good luck in getting your cow bred quickly. Keep us posted on how she's doing and if you decide to graft a calf.

I agree, this is a fabulous idea, but calving season here is February through April. Unless I have a calf shipped in from somewhere (MM, maybe you could find one and bring it up here in your truck? and I'm only half joking!), the youngest calves available are 5 to 6 month old weaned calves. I would LOVE to keep her going with another calf, and I think she has the motherly personality to take a foster with no problems, but there are no young calves in the area right now.

I did this exact thing when I had my previous cow, Cricket, but she had her calves in the fall, so in the spring, when all the beefers were calving, I was weaning her calf. I took an orphaned calf one year when one of the neighbor's cows had a set of twins and abandoned one of them. He asked if he could buy milk to bottle feed, and I said why not just bring him over and let him nurse the cow directly? So he did, and Cricket loved him and mothered him and raised him to 6 months, when he went back to the neighbor. Another time, Cricket's dam went down with a DA (I think) and we don't have a vet that will come out, so we had to put her down. Her calf was only 3 days old, and I had JUST weaned Cricket's one and only spring calf (I hate spring calves), so she was missing her baby, and she took her little sister like she was her own baby and I had a fat heifer calf to trade for hay the following summer. I have no problem doing that, and I have NO problem calf-sharing, but there's a scarcity of baby calves in the fall, that's all.

Once in a while, one of our neighbors will buy a group of young Jersey heifers for their girls to raise and sell. I might see if they're planning on getting any, although, even if they are, will the calf be the right COLOR for Molly? The last time I tried to graft a calf on Cricket, it was a Jersey heifer calf that was already 3 months old, and Cricket had lost her calf a month prior, so she wasn't interested in mothering this alien baby. (And it was just a month before we lost her to prolapse, so it turned out well that she refused the calf.) But I wonder if that would happen with Molly, too. I'm pretty sure she'd take a black calf, but that was weird with Cricket and fawn colored calf. Maybe it was just a fluke? Anyway, IF they're getting some calves, it's possible I could borrow one for the winter and use it as my backup milker, then give it back in the spring.

I think Molly is going to be at least as good, maybe better, as Cricket was as a foster mother, judging by how she dotes on her baby, and he's her first! Sometimes (at least in my experience) heifers can be a bit confused by their first calf, but Molly was in love with Joe at first sight, and was a totally perfect mother, right out of the gate.

The absolute worst that can happen is I have to dry Molly up when she gets back from the bull (if Joe weans himself, I mean), or if he gets bullish enough that he starts being destructive. MORE destructive than "normal cow destructive," I mean, LOL! (I still haven't called that next-to-useless vet to see how much a surgical castration would be...). Anyway, I'd have to buy milk from the neighbor until Molly had her next calf, but it wouldn't be the end of the world. It wouldn't be my FIRST choice of options, but it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Sorry, I went on and on there. Wrote another damn book... I'm just thinking out loud. Sometimes when I write stuff down, I get an idea I hadn't thought of before. :)

There has been a bit of a shortage around here too!!
But it's coming. Lots of fall calves are gonna start hitting the ground here soon!

That's the biggest problem. Like I told @Warren Allison
When ya need a calf, ya need it now!! I like to plan ahead and find em early even if I gotta bottle for a week or so.

I'm up for a road trip girl.
Let me know when u plan on moving Molly. I'm already on the hunt. But don't get too excited yet!

I agree, this is a fabulous idea, but calving season here is February through April. Unless I have a calf shipped in from somewhere (MM, maybe you could find one and bring it up here in your truck? and I'm only half joking!), the youngest calves available are 5 to 6 month old weaned calves. I would LOVE to keep her going with another calf, and I think she has the motherly personality to take a foster with no problems, but there are no young calves in the area right now.

I did this exact thing when I had my previous cow, Cricket, but she had her calves in the fall, so in the spring, when all the beefers were calving, I was weaning her calf. I took an orphaned calf one year when one of the neighbor's cows had a set of twins and abandoned one of them. He asked if he could buy milk to bottle feed, and I said why not just bring him over and let him nurse the cow directly? So he did, and Cricket loved him and mothered him and raised him to 6 months, when he went back to the neighbor. Another time, Cricket's dam went down with a DA (I think) and we don't have a vet that will come out, so we had to put her down. Her calf was only 3 days old, and I had JUST weaned Cricket's one and only spring calf (I hate spring calves), so she was missing her baby, and she took her little sister like she was her own baby and I had a fat heifer calf to trade for hay the following summer. I have no problem doing that, and I have NO problem calf-sharing, but there's a scarcity of baby calves in the fall, that's all.

Once in a while, one of our neighbors will buy a group of young Jersey heifers for their girls to raise and sell. I might see if they're planning on getting any, although, even if they are, will the calf be the right COLOR for Molly? The last time I tried to graft a calf on Cricket, it was a Jersey heifer calf that was already 3 months old, and Cricket had lost her calf a month prior, so she wasn't interested in mothering this alien baby. (And it was just a month before we lost her to prolapse, so it turned out well that she refused the calf.) But I wonder if that would happen with Molly, too. I'm pretty sure she'd take a black calf, but that was weird with Cricket and fawn colored calf. Maybe it was just a fluke? Anyway, IF they're getting some calves, it's possible I could borrow one for the winter and use it as my backup milker, then give it back in the spring.

I think Molly is going to be at least as good, maybe better, as Cricket was as a foster mother, judging by how she dotes on her baby, and he's her first! Sometimes (at least in my experience) heifers can be a bit confused by their first calf, but Molly was in love with Joe at first sight, and was a totally perfect mother, right out of the gate.

The absolute worst that can happen is I have to dry Molly up when she gets back from the bull (if Joe weans himself, I mean), or if he gets bullish enough that he starts being destructive. MORE destructive than "normal cow destructive," I mean, LOL! (I still haven't called that next-to-useless vet to see how much a surgical castration would be...). Anyway, I'd have to buy milk from the neighbor until Molly had her next calf, but it wouldn't be the end of the world. It wouldn't be my FIRST choice of options, but it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Sorry, I went on and on there. Wrote another damn book... I'm just thinking out loud. Sometimes when I write stuff down, I get an idea I hadn't thought of before. :)
Was watching Sioux Falls Reginal in Worthing last week, They had about 20 Holstein bull claves, not from the same farm. 3days to 190 days old, Sold for $2.20,. bidder had choice. He took them all. Is that far from you?

Yeah, Sioux Falls is clear over on the other side of the state, kitty-corner from us. Not going to take our old beat up trailer that far, LOL! Besides, I wouldn't buy a calf from a sale barn. You never know what you're going to bring home. If I find another calf, it will be from a local person somewhere nearby. Fingers crossed, though, I can keep Joe on Molly for the worst part of the winter. He really loves his milk, when he's not thinking about pellets. ;)

Yeah, Sioux Falls is clear over on the other side of the state, kitty-corner from us. Not going to take our old beat up trailer that far, LOL! Besides, I wouldn't buy a calf from a sale barn. You never know what you're going to bring home. If I find another calf, it will be from a local person somewhere nearby. Fingers crossed, though, I can keep Joe on Molly for the worst part of the winter. He really loves his milk, when he's not thinking about pellets. ;)
More milk for you!!

Well, I just got the royal brush-off from my bull guy. He has a big ranch. It's not like he doesn't know how to handle cows, he's been surrounded by cattle his entire life, but he made some pretty weak excuses for why I wouldn't be able to bring Molly over for breeding this year. He was willing to have her come over last year, but that was before she jumped the fence and joined the neighbor's herd when she was in heat. Maybe he's been talking to some of you that were convinced that Molly was a wild and dangerous animal, I dunno. He didn't come right out and SAY he was afraid of her, but since he didn't, I didn't get a chance to explain how she is now. Whatever. But as bad as that news was to take, at least he referred me to a guy who does AI. I MUCH prefer live cover, but if that's not available, then AI is all that's left, right?

When I first got cows, there was no one who did AI (for other people, they do it for their own cows sometimes), and that's how I ended up taking my girls over to the Angus guy. I've been taking my girls over there since 2008, every year... Oh, well. I did call and talk to the AI guy and he seems to know what he's doing, but I'm a complete newbie at it, so how could I tell if he was BS-ing me or not? I just hope it works. The good part is I wouldn't have to load and haul Molly and her calf over and back each year, and since I prefer a fall calf, it means breeding in December-ish, and the weather is iffy that time of year, so AI would solve those problems. But I've heard the conception rate with AI is much less than live cover. I think I only had two misses with live cover in all the cows and trips to the bull over the past 15 years. The AI guy says he wants to use a CIDR and shots, to make a for-sure time for insemination. Does that work as well as he makes it sound?

She has completely silent heats now. No more running the fence line, yelling for a boyfriend. For a while after she calved, she'd pee in the milking stanchion when she was in heat, or lean and sway back and forth and just be "fussy," but now she doesn't do anything like that. I don't even get a swat to my head with her tail. She is so perfectly behaved now, it's hard to believe she's the same cow. So I guess the CIDR (or two hormone shots?) would be necessary, since I'm not sure what day she's actually in heat. Joe usually tries to mount her when she is, but the last time, he didn't, or I didn't see it, so I don't even know which day it was.

I just hope AI is all it's cracked up to be. I'd really like her to be pregnant by winter.

Well, I just got the royal brush-off from my bull guy.
I don't know your situation with your "bull guy"... so don't know what the factors are. But sometimes a neighbor has asked a favor and gets comfortable with a continuing favor and over time never seems to reciprocate in any way other than a thank you. That favor builds up until it becomes an inconvenience and someone starts feeling like they are being taken advantage of. I've never been shy about asking my neighbors/others for assistance but I always make a point of doing something right away in return so they don't feel it's a one way street.

Like I said, I don't know what the situation is so I'm only expressing how things CAN be. A fresh apple pie in appreciation has kept a lot of neighbors friends and trading labor works even better.

I try and do the same @Travlr
Tho I can't make a good pie for nothing. I do try to do MORE than the favor I'm asking. But anyway!

Your A.I. guy seems to be spot on from what I've read and discussed with some neighbors about it @Lannie
With just one cow that's the route I'd go for sure.

And get some sexed jersey semen for a heifer!! 😀

Latest posts