My new baby, Molly

Help Support CattleToday:

The average American consumes 560 lbs of milk per year.
Finland is #1 in milk consumption at 948 lbs per person.
1 quart a day = 777 lbs
That's hard to believe... I like milk and would maybe ingest more if I still ate ice cream. My wife drinks a glass every day. But 560 pounds is a lot of milk in a year. There is no way I could drink a quart a day.

@Lannie what do you hope for as a daily allowance of milk for the house?

Is a gallon sufficient?

A gallon is sufficient for drinking and making a batch of yogurt or clabber every few days, but if I want to make cheese, I need 2 gallons a day. 1.5 gallons at the bare minimum. I just brought in 2.5 gallons this morning, so I think I'll be getting plenty to make cheese, drink (as much as I want), make all kinds of yogurt, cottage cheese, sour cream, butter, AND make some paneer-type cheese for the dogs when I need to dispose of several gallons at a time. My fridge is already getting full. :)
The average American consumes 560 lbs of milk per year.
Finland is #1 in milk consumption at 948 lbs per person.
1 quart a day = 777 lbs

Seriously? 560 lbs. is only 65 gallons of milk. In a whole year? I can drink a gallon a day, but I shouldn't, because then I don't have room for dinner. But when I'm being conservative, I drink half a gallon a day. That's 1,569.5 pounds of milk per year, just for drinking, not counting all the other things I make with it. I guess this is why I need to have a cow. :p

I wonder about people's cholesterol levels. My LDL went through the roof when I was the 'other calf' of a Jersey cow. Went back to normal after I stopped using a gallon a day.

Here are a couple final pictures... I'm sure everyone wants to see her being milked. I had a good helper (he gets me the cream!). She's making about 5 gallons a day - that's my best guess - and he's getting about half and I'm getting the other half. Works for me!

05-26-23 Molly and Joe 02.jpg

My share:

05-26-23 Bucketful of milk.jpg

I can't hoist that milker bucket up high enough to pour into the jars, so I have to put it in my 3-gallon pail (and it's almost full!) and then pour into the jars from that.

And after the day is done, the kid is tucked safely in his stall for the night, mom gets to go out and relax with her thoughts, and some nice green grass.

05-26-23 Pasture at last 01.jpg

And they lived happily ever after. :)

Lannie, I have one of those Surge belly pails. Do you have your hand on there for a reason, like pulling downward and backward for positioning? What are you going to do about this cute bull calf? Band or castrate?

My hand is on there in case Joe hits her with a hard bunt and knocks it off the hanger. Also, my other hand is lightly holding (not pressing, just there in case) the back inflations on because her teats are so short. It just won't hang by itself for the whole milking now, so I have to tilt and adjust as necessary. I've been letting Joe nurse all four quarters for a while before milking, to get those back teats nice and warm and flexible, and it helps, but the inflations could still slip off as the quarters empty and the aspect changes. Once Joe isn't nursing at the same time I'm milking, and her teats are more flexible (she has bad edema right now), I won't have to hold it. She's a good girl and never moves while I'm milking her.

Joe will be castrated when we take him with Molly over to the neighbor's to have her re-bred. The guy is sweet, and he always cuts my bull calves for me while they're there.

Oh, I almost forgot, there was one other picture I wanted to post. Molly loves Rich. She loves him almost as much as she loves her own baby.

05-26-23 Cow kisses 02.jpg

She never kisses ME like that, but I'm the evil witch that makes her DO stuff. Rich just talks sweet to her and spoils her rotten. Cows and husbands... grrrr....

Did you get Jersey size inflations? What kind of pump do you have and what are the settings? Mine came with a wimpy 1/3 hp pump with no balance tank. It might last a year.

My two cows only tolerate my husband because he makes them do stuff such as lay them down for veterinary type proceedures. Because we left the squeeze chute in Texas. He does this by making a bowline knot around the neck, running to another loop around behind the front legs going to another loop around the flanks. Pulls on it and down they go. Its the darndest thing.

Last edited:
I have the narrow bore inflations and a Gast oil-less 3/4 hp pump with a balance tank, running at 12.5hg (I think that's the correct terminology).

https://hambydairysupply.com/nupulse-3-4-hp-vacuum-pump-for-1-or-2-bucket-milkers/

I've been doing this for 12 years now. Molly is the fourth FIFTH heifer I've trained to milk. There was Bandit, Cricket, Helen, Morgaine, and now Molly. Yikes.

I know ya didn't ask....
But it's super easy to band him now.
It's been my experience they never miss a beat when they are banded this young!

Anyway.
Looks like ya got her licked! Or she's got you licked, one or the other. Definitely got Rich licked! 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

I actually bought a calf bander way back when, but the neighbor loves doing favors for us, and he always asks if we want him to castrate the bull calves when they're there, so I say yes, please. Although I have tried to pay him, he won't accept it. My little bag of green cheerios is long since expired, LOL! He also charges me $25.00 (for hay) to leave my girls with his multi-thousand dollar bulls. When I found out how much those bulls were worth (one he said he'd just paid $80,000 for, and I nearly fainted) I couldn't believe he didn't want SOMETHING more than $25. But no, and he probably wouldn't charge me for the hay they eat if I hadn't insisted on paying something. He also came over at a moment's notice with his calf-puller when Cricket was having a breech calf, and saved her life (the calf). And if I have any kind of question on any kind of odd thing, chances are, he has an answer, and he's always ready to help, even if I don't ask.

He's one of the truly nice people in the world, the kind that restores my faith in humanity, you know? I'm glad I live here where people like him are common. Sometimes I give him free cheeses, or homemade sausage, or a big plate of assorted cookies at Christmas. And sometimes he gives me boxes of apples, which I make into pie filling and applesauce. He's a great guy. :)

Last edited:
Little update on Joe the calf. :) I did band him, because I won't be taking them over to the neighbor's for a couple more months, and Joe is a very um, "frisky" boy, LOL! I talked to the neighbor with the bulls, and he suggested we band him, so he didn't have to deal with a BIG frisky calf later on, and I agreed. So Joe got banded just a little under a month ago, and night before last, they finally fell off. He had them when he went in his stall that night, but yesterday morning they were gone. They must be somewhere in the bedding... I looked briefly, but couldn't find them. I'll have to send Maggie (the dog) in and let her sniff out that lovely treat. :sick: I was amazed to see how clean the remaining skin is. It's leathery-looking, but dry and clean. Yowza. I could do this again if I had to. :)

And his momma, Miss Molly, is still the nicest, sweetest cow I could ever want. I love her SO MUCH! The flies are horrible this summer, and I ran out of fly spray (and the new stuff I ordered is in PUERTO RICO now, thank you, Post Office idiots), so I've been doing my best with homemade stuff (essential oils, vinegar, a little soap, etc.) and it works a little, but not for very long. In spite of having flies crawling all over her, though, she stands stock still for me when I'm milking. When she's not in the stanchion, she stomps her feet when the flies are biting, but when I'm milking her, she stand there and ENDURES it. I would never have dreamed a cow could be this considerate. I wouldn't hold it against her if she stomped her front feet, or even swiped at her belly with her hind feet while I was milking. The flies are that bad. But she doesn't. She's such a good girl, and now, she gives ME cow kisses, too, not just her "daddy." I just say, "Molly, kiss-kiss!" and lean forward, and she leans forward and touches her lips to my face. She's probably going to be my last milk cow, and I'm so glad I got the best one last. 🥰

Little update on Joe the calf. :) I did band him, because I won't be taking them over to the neighbor's for a couple more months, and Joe is a very um, "frisky" boy, LOL! I talked to the neighbor with the bulls, and he suggested we band him, so he didn't have to deal with a BIG frisky calf later on, and I agreed. So Joe got banded just a little under a month ago, and night before last, they finally fell off. He had them when he went in his stall that night, but yesterday morning they were gone. They must be somewhere in the bedding... I looked briefly, but couldn't find them. I'll have to send Maggie (the dog) in and let her sniff out that lovely treat. :sick: I was amazed to see how clean the remaining skin is. It's leathery-looking, but dry and clean. Yowza. I could do this again if I had to. :)

And his momma, Miss Molly, is still the nicest, sweetest cow I could ever want. I love her SO MUCH! The flies are horrible this summer, and I ran out of fly spray (and the new stuff I ordered is in PUERTO RICO now, thank you, Post Office idiots), so I've been doing my best with homemade stuff (essential oils, vinegar, a little soap, etc.) and it works a little, but not for very long. In spite of having flies crawling all over her, though, she stands stock still for me when I'm milking. When she's not in the stanchion, she stomps her feet when the flies are biting, but when I'm milking her, she stand there and ENDURES it. I would never have dreamed a cow could be this considerate. I wouldn't hold it against her if she stomped her front feet, or even swiped at her belly with her hind feet while I was milking. The flies are that bad. But she doesn't. She's such a good girl, and now, she gives ME cow kisses, too, not just her "daddy." I just say, "Molly, kiss-kiss!" and lean forward, and she leans forward and touches her lips to my face. She's probably going to be my last milk cow, and I'm so glad I got the best one last. 🥰
I KNEW she was gonna be such a great cow!!

Maggie gets a chew toy! Roflmao!

What ya gonna do with Joe? Is he gonna go to grazing this fall? Can u handle him going in the freezer?

I KNEW she was gonna be such a great cow!!

Maggie gets a chew toy! Roflmao!

What ya gonna do with Joe? Is he gonna go to grazing this fall? Can u handle him going in the freezer?

Joe is staying long enough for Molly to have another calf (hopefully a heifer) and for the second calf to grow large enough for mounting games. I really don't think Molly will be trying to jump fences anymore, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I've been keeping her in the pen with Joe during the day, and she's had three heats so far while being locked in the pen and she never tried to jump out. And that fence is shorter than the perimeter fence. But she IS terribly lonely without a companion, and soon enough, the neighbor is going to want her loaner cow back.

Anyway, if you followed all that, once there's another calf to keep Molly occupied, if we have room, we'll put Joe in the freezer. I'd rather do that than take him to the sale. I always feel sad for the boys we take to the sale barn. They're so lost and confused. So we'll keep him as long as we can and then eat him, and yes, I will have NO problem eating him. None. :giggle:

If you have avon skin so soft it helps repel flies also.

I do have some. I got it years ago for mosquitos, but it didn't work for them. I doubt it will work for flies, but I'm game to try. Since it's oily, maybe I'll add some to my essential oil blend and see how that works.

Rich found a whole gallon bottle (I'm embarrassed to say I forgot it was there) of horse fly spray on the mud porch, and although it's not rated for milk cows, I did spray the barn floor with it this morning and killed every fly. It's powerful stuff. Because all the flies in the barn were dead, there were only a few incidental flies on Molly and Joe, which was really nice. A little orange/vinegar spray on them took care of those few pesky stragglers.

The one thing the orange oil will NOT repel is those horrible little black biting flies. I don't know why. It gets rid of all the non-biting ones, but those ones with teeth are as tough as nails, LOL! Anyway, I'll go get the bottle of SSS and take it out with me tonight and see if it will do any good. I can dab it on Molly with a cloth and spread it around if I have to. Or maybe just pour some in the EO squirt bottle, I dunno.

Thanks for reminding me. Cross your fingers!

Well, I'll be darned, the Skin-So-Soft WORKS! I can't believe it! I poured some (maybe half a cup) into my half empty quart squirt bottle of orange oil, vinegar, and water, and took it out with me at evening chores. Molly came in for her treats and her lower legs were black with flies, and they were biting, so she was stomping like crazy, and swishing her whole back end, she was flailing her tail so hard. I shook up the bottle and sprayed her legs and the flies just dropped off. I lightly sprayed her sides, belly, and topline, and those flies left, too. We stayed out there with her for about half an hour, and she only had ONE fly land on her left front leg that whole time, but it didn't bite her so she didn't stomp. I'm gobsmacked.

Rich and I put some on us, too, because the flies that left her needed someone else to chew on, and they stayed off of us for about 15 or 20 minutes, but then started coming back, so we put a little more on. I think the oil in the SSS sticks better to Molly's hairy legs and body, and continues working longer than it does with us and our bare arms and faces. But we all smelled SO good, and our skin is SO SOFT now! LOL!

I found it for sale at Amazon and Walmart (no Avon lady needed now), but it's tripled in price since I bought that last bottle from our local Avon lady. Yikes! It's worth it, though. Since my good orange oil is still in Puerto Rico, and I may never see it, I'll get some Skin-So-Soft and use that instead. It smells nice and it works, and what else could I ask for? It even seems to drive away the biting flies! :)

Thanks, Jan!

Oh, I forgot to say, I'm using the super-duper horse fly spray on the floor when I get to the barn, and it's killing those flies right away. That helps reduce the total number of flies in the barn at the moment. Then the other stuff I spray on Molly and Joe (and me) to get the ones that weren't on the floor when I hit them with the horse spray.

Latest posts